1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So which DI is your fave???

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Jethro, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

In the market for a DI. Looking at the Baggs Para Di and Venue.

Two questions....which is the most preferred and why? Also, what other brands are suggested?

I have a Taylor with the ES system, and a Martin with the Baggs Lyric so I'm looking for a DI that has the flexibility for both types.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

2. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Love the Para DI. Very versatile and an excellent tool for dialing in good acoustic tone. I've always said that anyone who gigs an acoustic should have one in their gig bag.
    That said, woman in my band just got a Venue a few months back and that thing is terrific. Sounds very good and has a built-in tuner and mute.
    You can't go wrong with either one. Price could be an issue as the Venue is about three bills and the Para DI can be had for about half that.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Tonebone PZ Deluxe ......great fat sound, with shimmer!

4. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

I've heard some are not too impressed with the built in tuner on the venue, and apparently that is the reason it can't come with phantom power. Apart from that, I've also heard that it can dial in a bit more accurately than the Para. The other feature I really like is the boost switch for soloing....I think I would use this a fair bit. I'm leaning to the venue for this reason, although I suppose I could just use my compression pedal for boosting if I went with the cheaper Para. Hmm....decisions, decisions

5. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

I had an opportunity to try this pedal at a gig this summer. I liked it, especially the boost feature, but for some reason I was not quite able to dial in a tone that I was really comfortable with on my Martin which has the Lyric Mic system. I will say this, Radial gear is built like a tank....very solid stuff. Maybe I just need to experiment with it a bit more.

Similarly priced to the venue I see

6. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Well, the best that I've played would include Demeter VTD B-2 tube DI (about $525.00) and a few different Avalon models ($500 & up - WAY up...). Don't own these, have used them in studios. My favorite that I can actually afford is Radial J48 (about $200.00) which is active and has phantom power. Speaking of which: the Radial has internal rail voltage that can deal with sources that fall short of 48V phantom power (such as my Mackie powered mixer); conversely, the Baggs Para DI that I had could only be powered with batteries with the Mackie. I also have an el cheapo Horizon passive DI in case I run into situations where phantom power is not an option. Before I got the Radial J48, I was using the Horizon all the time. The Radial has such a robust signal and headroom that I immediately had to lower my volume level at the PA. Big difference. I'm probably the only guy on the planet that didn't bond with the Baggs Para DI... it did what it was supposed to do just fine, it's just that I sound so much better with the Radial. I've come to the conclusion that I prefer dedicated DI boxes without tone shaping capabilities and additional bells and whistles. Same deal with the SansAmp acoustic DI; wound up bypassing the EQ section entirely when I had that one. I seem to have far better success/tones/flexibility in using dedicated sources for boost/EQ, tuning and DI than I do with th Swiss army knife units. There's also Fishman Aura Spectrum DI/Pre, which I've not played.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Yea... the deluxe pz is easier and cheaper...also, the mid/freq...sensitive...has to be
    like 11oclock and 1oclock

8. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

I have both the Para and the Venue. I have used both for fiddle with my country band. I have also used the Para with keyboards with my rock n roll band. I haven't used either with an acoustic-electric guitar yet, as I got my first A/E fairly recently and haven't gigged it yet.

I have used the Venue with fiddle for every gig that I have played with my country band since I got it, probably 2-3 years ago. When I had just the Para, I wished that I could have something similar but with a tuner that mutes the signal to the PA and with a boost. When Baggs came out with the Venue, our own Leon Grizzard clued me in to it on another forum. I got the Venue and have never looked back. It was exactly what I had been looking for.

The tuner is a strobe-type tuner that works really well. The boost is very handy. I just play without the boost for backup and hit the boost for solos, just like on electric guitar.

Yes, the Venue is expensive, but it is really a DI plus a tuner plus a boost pedal, all in one. It was well worth the $300 to me.

My fiddle has the Baggs violin pickup, which is contained in the bridge. You replace the bridge on your violin with the Baggs bridge. It has a wire that runs to a carpenter jack, then a 1/4" guitar cord to the DI. It does not have any EQ, etc. on it, it's just a pickup.

Good luck!

9. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

A direct box does not come with Phantom power, the circuitry in an active direct box is powered by it.

I would imagine the Venue could easily have been powered via Phantom, but there are many mixers that do not have Phantom so my guess is, they chose to externally power the box to be sure it would alway be operable at any amplified um, venue.

It looks nice, and if L.R. Baggs past products are any indication of the quality of the Venue, it should be very good.

I am a bit surprized that it is not Phantom powered as well, which would give it juice in any circumstance.

That would also allow for the input of a condenser mic, accessing all those nice tone shaping possibilities on board.

The effects loop is a nice touch.

Does any one know if it is a balanced loop?

I really like the Demeter mentioned earlier, and the DI on the Electrodyne 501 mic pre sounds beautiful.

If you need a bulletproof direct box that sounds good and do not need frills, The Countryman Type 85 FET is very nice sounding, has excellent headroom, and you can run it over with a tractor trailer without hurting it.

10. duncan121

duncan121 Tele-Meister

Dpends on the guitars. I use a Guild D40 that has a Fishman pickup and I really like using the Fishman Aura Spectrum with it. I won't go into details becasue I know alot of people hate its "modeling" capabilities but for live work where dynamics are imprtant its fantastic. By Dynamics I meen quiet to medium volume gigs. I also have a Tonebone PZ Pre and I use when I'm going acoustic in a full band setting that gets loud. It has great coontrol

11. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I have a Baggs Para DI and it does a good job. I also have a Behringer V-Tone Acoustic ADI 21, and it seems pretty good too (seriously). I have no trouble dialing in a good tone with either of these, using my Yamaha or Martin guitars. Both guitars have K&K pure mini pickups.

12. gibsonjunkie

gibsonjunkie Tele-Afflicted

I use a BBE Acoustimax processor.

13. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

I've got the LR Baggs Venue and I think it does a great job. I like that it has an effects loop tho I haven't used it yet. I really like the boost function and use that a lot. I've had no problems with the tuner.

14. krisls

krisls Tele-Holic

Another PZ Deluxe user, great little box. It was that or the Venue for me and I didn't like the Venue's tuner, I have a TC Nano in the tuner out and a few effects in front. Just have to watch the levels. The PZ Pre has the dual inputs and the effect loop. The old Para is a bit fiddly I think.

The other that gets a lot of good press on the Acoustic forum is the Redeye pre. Not personally an Aura fan but I can see the appeal.

Kristina

15. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have the LR Baggs Para DI; love it of course.

I am interested in the Zoom A3 pedal/box - does a boatload of things; there are a bunch of good demo's of it on YT, including one by Harry Maes.

Greg
    Greg

16. Ian

Ian Tele-Afflicted

I absolutely love my Radial PZ-PRE; combination Dual input,eq,effects loop,boost,DI, ect.

image-1680735834.jpg

I run Acoustic Guitar,Mandolin,Tenor Banjo,nylon string,Resophonic,U-bass,ect through it. I'm running a Polytune mini in the tuner out,and a HOF & Ditto looper through the effects loop,direct to the PA.
    This is my Live board,for Electric and acoustic.

17. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

I really like the ART DPS II. It's a great tube DI that happens to sound killer with guitar. And vocal. And bass. And accordion. And . . .

18. jbdrumbo

jbdrumbo Tele-Holic

The passive Radial JDI, with a Jensen transformer, is the best sounding DI I've used. If one uses guitars with battery powered pickup/mic systems, like your ES and Lyric, then a passive w/Jensen transformer DI makes for a better sound than a typical active DI, even a good active like the Countryman 85.

http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/jdi.php

19. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

The ones I make myself.

They are very application specific. They are very easy to make.

Essentially a current limiting voltage attenuator between amp and interface (or PA).

I would need specific technical info on your requirement to (cof) design one for you. Did I mention they are cheap and simple? Reply back here.

OTOH any number of pedals offer a DI e.g. Peterson Stomp-2 strobe tuner (discontinued? but still available), MXR Bass DI + Distortion, but they do not capture the amp and speaker.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  20. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

When I started playing more and more acoustic, I bit the bullet and bought a L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic DI. It's been a champ for me. I also use their M1 pickup and love it (I have the M1 Passive).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.