So where’s the go to place to purchase a new tele these days.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Robby5323, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

Glad I’m not the only one! I bought a vintage modified jaguar from sweetwater and yes it’s a cheap guitar but! The electronics section on the checklist was checked off, obviously it wasn’t checked because the tone pot is very fuzzy/barely functional

I like that you get to choose your exact guitar and the weight but I have no faith in the checking system

As mentioned I’d probably try Dave’s, Chicago music exchange or wildwood

2. LPTyler

LPTyler Tele-Meister

I would try wildwood. I have always been very happy with the store and their selection.

Back at it and OmegaWoods like this.
  3. moskasound

moskasound TDPRI Member

4. moskasound

moskasound TDPRI Member

I done business with both Sweetwater and MF and have had much better experiences with Sweetwater…by far!

The only reason I buy from MF is for a “Deal of the Day”… and even then I immediately get on my knees and pray it arrives in one piece! They have the most shoddy packaging practices in the business…and the worst customer service too!

howardlo, ratdoc and bugtussle like this.
  5. Full-Tilt-Tele

Full-Tilt-Tele Tele-Meister

Visit your 'Sam-Ash' music store, then select, play,test, and purchase...

Telebra likes this.
  6. Gary135r

Gary135r Tele-Meister

Home of Earl Campbell!

Robby5323 and PlainAllman like this.
  7. brashboy

brashboy Tele-Meister

I'm in Florida - in a guitar desert, like you - and have bought several guitars from Dave's Guitars in LaCrosse, Wisconsin. All were beauts.

Telecaster1954 likes this.
  8. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have one local dealer, Deitze Music, who is an authorized Fender dealer. They do tech work, but I am not certain if every location has an on duty man. I am competent to do basic truss rod adjustments, bridge adjustments, and intonation. I have no experience with fret work, or filing nuts, but did have a friend who was skilled at such things. He has since married, and due to the Covid thing, has become a bit of a hermit.
    I ordered my last Telecaster, a MIM 75th Anniversary Special edition, from Musician's Friend. It arrived with a good basic set up. After restringing with 10's I need to adjust a couple of saddles for intonation, but other than that it is good to go.

9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

There is no one go-to place for everyone.

It's not a question that can be answered well, without knowing your location.

And keep in mind that your idea of a guitar that needs a setup could be another person's idea of a guitar that plays perfectly.

I've never received a poorly set up, or even blemished, guitar from Sweetwater. They aren't ever set up the way I like them, because I use heavy strings and high action. However, they aren't poorly set up. I know people who have built for multiple different large California based guitar makers (Fender, G&L, ESP/Takamine), and they have told me that Sweetwater is, hands down, without contest, the most picky retailer when it comes to sending back rejects that aren't up to their standards – and that these factories put extra care into the guitars that they know are headed there.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    Drew617 and ratdoc like this.
  10. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

OP, I know you’re a pretty good distance from Dallas, but Tone Shop Guitars looks like they have pretty good stuff, and they have the only Plek machine in the metroplex, as far as I’m aware. I hope to drive over and check them out sometime this weekend.

Robby5323 and highgreenchilly like this.
  11. Canadian_Fender

Canadian_Fender TDPRI Member

And likely have a decent return policy! I buy a lot on Reverb and have had very good luck.

12. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

I also like to buy guitars in person. However in your situation a good brick and mortar selection of guitars is too far away. I echo the sentiments of "naveed211" about Chicago Music Exchange. I've bought at least 3 guitars online from them in the last 5 years and have been nothing but satisfied. I also bought a dozen guitars from Sweetawater during the year and 3 months of lockdown. They do list the weights and I ask them to double check because the listed weights, at least on the lighter ones I've asked about, were only about 70% accurate. After buying and keeping a dozen guitars and returning two in a year, they will reluctantly weigh them again for me with some prodding. I guess after a dozen guitars my sales rep knows they are going to make money off me if they keep me happy. A couple guitars from Sweetwater have needed fretwork, but so have a couple of the ones I bought from brick and mortar stores, but they were good resonant guitars, so I bought them anyway, knowing I would have to get the fretwork done. If a guitar is a keeper, I don't mind paying for fretwork and setups. Like "swervinbob" writes, Sweetwater doesn't set the guitars up for you unless you request and pay for that service. And I also often take new guitars to a local guy to have them set up. The climate and humidity in Los Angeles and Indiana (Sweetwater) are different, so I expect to have to set up guitars from out of state.

howardlo likes this.
  13. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

I don’t know if the guy is a luthier or just a setup tech but every time I go into Mundt there in Tyler they are working on some guitar behind the counter. Their selection won’t blow your mind or anything but they did have a few Teles in there the last time I went in which was last weekend. I believe they have another location in Longview which is supposed to be the main store which I assume has a better selection maybe? I haven’t been in the GC in over a year. My most recent acquisition a 21 LP Special tribute came from SW and the only adjustment needed was pickup height and poles. It is my new number 1.

14. Otisblove

Otisblove Tele-Meister

I drove 2 hours to Fort Wayne to check out a 12 string acoustic at Sweetwater and those guys bent over backwards to help me out. I even asked a guy if my rep I always deal with on the phone and over email was in the (massive) building. They found him and he came down to say hello.

I like GC because I can actually play guitars there and if I order a new or used one online and don’t like it or, say the headstock snaps off as I’m tuning it up for the first time, I can return it no questions asked.

15. Gas4Teles

Gas4Teles TDPRI Member

I checked a few online stores. None had a good selection of 50's Telecasters. I even checked Reverb and the same.

16. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A world class setup will vary by local humidity, and personal playing style. Online sellers can't do that, even if they were top notch luthiers, which they aren't.

Figure that an AO is gonna be pretty good, just picking one off the rack. If weight is a concern, either shop at a place with published weights, or call and have them weigh a few for you.

Beyond that, all the 'magic' is in a good setup. Either take it to a trusted local tech, or learn to do it yourself.

Maguchi and howardlo like this.
  17. ratdoc

ratdoc TDPRI Member

I had a really nice experience buying a P bass from Willcutt last fall. Good price, super fast shipping, and set-up really nicely when it arrived. If not them, I've never had a problem with Sweetwater.

18. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

sweetwater.JPG

ratdoc, Maguchi and howardlo like this.
  19. highgreenchilly

highgreenchilly Tele-Meister

I bought my Nocaster Lush Classic from them. I had a ton of questions and they answered them all and sent spec sheets before I purchased. Overall, a positive experience. Great guitar but as has been said, anything shipped should probably be set up when it arrives.

smoothrecluse likes this.
  20. highgreenchilly

highgreenchilly Tele-Meister

I will add that Wildwood spent a lot of time on the phone with me and we’re very helpful but they only had relics. Both shops gave weights as I wanted a sub 7 lb guitar.

Back at it likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.