So when you guys render, DL, whatever the term you use is do you do WAV or MP3

stratology

Tele-Meister
OK, I did as suggested. I did a rendering of a song we're working on. I sent an mp3 file and a wav file to my bandmates. Then I listened back. Twice. So I listened through the headphones I use for mixing. Into my Iphone 7 I think it is.

Once down in my music room and once upstairs in my kitchen. These are in a sent gmail. In my estimation it's pretty apparent the MP3 file is thinner and less round I guess is the best way to explain it. Plus because of that it makes a bit quieter without touching the volume on my phone. It's not like it's TONS of difference but I mean, but a bit.

I did not hear any distortion like I thought I have in the past with other things that have been sent to me. Which I found surprising. So maybe there was something else going on that makes that happen.

Maybe it's all in my head. IDK. But this is what my ears are telling me.

Interesting. Did you create 320k mp3s? If you heard distortion in the past - it's important to make sure that there are no 'overs' - including inter-sample peaks - in the output (like the master bus or your DAW), because those can cause errors in the compression. Doesn't take much to avoid it - if the output peaks at -2 to -3 dBFS, there won't be a problem.

Early mp3 encoders were really bad, if you use a current DAW, the encoding will be good. Otherwise, the LAME encoder is a free download, and can produce high quality mp3s.

I did a double blind (aiff and 192k aac) several years ago, with mediocre headphones. I was able to tell the difference pretty reliably, but was surprised by how small it was.

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
I hadn't noticed disortion from files I made. Cuz honestly I've only rendered to MP3 in the last week for the first time. Cuz it's a smaller file for someone I'm sending them to. The other person I normally send to is fine with receiving wav's. Well everyone I've sent wavs to has been fine with them. Except one guy with known crappy internet.

I've only noticed it when receiving mp3's from people. But even at that I could possibly be mixing up MP4's... LOL. I'm not completely sure at this point now that someone has pointed out the distinction.

But yeah, I could still hear a difference when I rendered to mp3/wav. And yeah, no distortion, just.... smaller sounding.

klasaine

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
And yeah, no distortion, just.... smaller sounding.

That's kinda how I describe it too. Smaller and everything seems to get shoved into the middle and just a little murkier. Having said that, I actually like that when I'm listening on my bluetooth speaker which is really just seems like a glorified mono car stereo speaker. *I do render mp3s at 320kbps.

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
That's an interesting thought. To pair one or the other with the speakers that work best with it. Yeah, I've not been a huge fan of listening back on our little bluetooth speaker. I should do it more. I use panning so much, mono is sort of blaaaaaa, to me. LOL.

klasaine

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
That's an interesting thought. To pair one or the other with the speakers that work best with it. Yeah, I've not been a huge fan of listening back on our little bluetooth speaker. I should do it more. I use panning so much, mono is sort of blaaaaaa, to me. LOL.
Totally understandable with modern music. I love good stereo and a ton of ear candy floating off to the sides and even seemingly behind or above the speakers but mono - done right - is glorious. Think early R&B and R&R (Chuck Berry), Blue Note/Riverside/Verve Jazz, and of course most of the original Beatles' releases.

stratology

Tele-Meister
FWIW, when you listen via Bluetooth, regardless of whether it's headphones or speakers, the audio will always be file compressed, because Bluetooth does not have the bandwidth to transfer lossless audio codecs.

woodman

Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed
Gold Supporter
File transfer services like WeTransfer and Dropbox make it easy to exchange hi-def audio files (WAV/AIFF) to drop into collaborations. No email MP3s necessary!