so whats the project plan(s) for 2013 ?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by T Prior, Jan 5, 2013.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Well for me, I am thinking I would like to finish the projects I started in 2012 ! I had a big plan to get about 10 or 12 self written/produced and recorded tunes done..that didn't happen, I completed 4....

So now I have a small trio with my wife and a good friend and they want to do an 8 or 10 track demo..

I guess I'm up to about 16 tracks to get done now...

Then I have my regular working group, they want to do a few demo tracks..maybe 6...

Now I'm up over 20...

Then when I do start, I labor over the tracks...making every note, every tone better...for weeks on end...we can do this because we have endless editing and recording capabilities...I happen to use Pro-Tools.

But then I think back..if I was still using my Tascam 4 track Cassette I would have probably finished all my tunes , rather than editing/ mixing and mastering to oblivia...

I did do something different though...every couple of weeks I play a session at a local small studio, I have been swapping my session fee's for studio hours...I am thinking we can just go play and let someone else fiddle with the knobs, maybe I'll actually get something done ..

I also have a few tunes which I have decided on collaborating with other fellow artists rather than sit in my music room coming up with the same lyrics for over a year...

Maybe 2013 will be a more productive recording year...

if not

there is always 2014 !

What are your plans ?

2. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

I only finished nine new projects the past year (five original), plus three upgrades of tunes I recorded in my rookie days — Tony, thanks for your steel guitar help on Fit to Be Tied! ... That total is down from 12 completed in 2011. So I got paranoid that I was backsliding, but realized that increased knowledge and understanding of engineering/production/mixing demands more attention to detail, thus more hours spent. I learned a lot in my collaborations with the ScatMan.

This year, I'm afraid my total will drop even further — I'm currently trying to whip the best of my original tunes into shape to put up for sale on CDbaby, which may be pissin' up a rope, but I'd feel better if I was getting even a pittance of mailbox money for the thousands of hours I've put into this stuff. But massaging these mixes the right way will probably take up most of January.

I've got a handful of ideas for new songs, but writing and arranging originals is more time-consuming than doing cover versions (unless you're 64Strat!;)). Also, my luvly wife is making noises like she might want to do some stuff of her own choosing, which I'd happily undertake if it would get her in the studio more. But that's a two-edged sword — as soon as listeners hear her voice, they say, "Why doesn't he shut the hell up and just let her sing?" :lol:

Sometime soon, I'll start getting raw mixes for overdubs on a buddy's album I helped produce, and that could eat up a couple of weeks. I've also pledged to improve on keyboards, so that'll take some time too.

So my 2013 track count is likely to drop even further, but hopefully the product will be of better quality. We'll see!

3. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Fourteen months to do the album...I'M DONE for a while.

(I do owe some folks some time if they want it, though. Hopefully it will be playing and not engineering.)

4. woodman

Hahaha! I feel your pain. But you gotta admit, Martin, you came a long way in a short time. Amazing what you can do when you're under the gun!

5. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As usual, my plans change every time the phone rings.
    I am happy to say that my calender has been filling-up quite nicely since the beginning of the year.

I'm splitting time between 3 different acts. Neither one has that much work, this is what I have to do to keep myself going.
    So far, not a single performance conflict. Crossing my fingers ...

There is a Band I recorded a Demo for last year.
    They expressed interest in recording a Full-Length CD, but they need to pony-up some coin first.

Now that I have my Zoom Q3hd, I plan to record as many shows as I can.
    If we (as a band) can get even a couple of sound bites per show, I'll be able to post them. But if they ain't up to snuff, I'll press Delete and, move on to the next show.

6. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well, I'm just starting to write the tunes for the next CD, probably will record it in the fall, so that's another 12-15 tunes to do... at least I have a little bit of time, though...

Franc Robert

7. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

I have an album being mastered on Monday.
    12 months of work- I'll post examples once it is finished.

This frees me up to work on some personal tunes- I'm writing an album of instrumental rock tunes at the moment.
    Want to get the bulk of it written this year.

8. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Meister

Had a busy year working, getting my house ready to sell, selling said house, organising moves etc. Move to new place in March, a few weeks to set up and then HOPEFULLY get the recording gear out! As to output, well who knows. I have a few tunes I was working on before packing everything up so would probably start with those and take it from there. It'll be interesting to see/hear what they sound like after all that time.

9. woodman

That's great news, Jim! Can't wait to hear what you're up to ... is the upcoming album self-produced?

You may be pleasantly surprised, Pete — time can separate the trash from the treasure. Several times I've gone back to tunes in my slush pile and figured out what it was I was trying to do. Or more realistically, what the song was trying to do. Some seeds pop right up and bloom; others take a while to germinate. But you wouldn't have been working the song if the seed hadn't been worth planting! :D

10. Haydenr25

Haydenr25 TDPRI Member

Left my first band and started another one in November, so my plans are to gig my ass off and build up a name for myself. First few gigs booked for January and February, already signed up for a local battle of the bands competition for the summer. Just keep working on original material, I suppose an album will come after we've made a name for ourselves locally and generated some interest, possibly next year.

Great vibes in this new band, can't wait to play our first gig in less than 3 weeks now.

11. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My goal is to learn more about Pro Tools. Someone suggested the Lynda coarse. It's $25 a month. I'll try the free trial first. I did the 4 weekend free classes at Guitar Center It was really informative but also realized that PT has a lot more to it. So thats one of my goals. As for the lynda courses my wife has taken some for her work ( her worked pays) says they are really good.

http://www.lynda.com/Pro-Tools-9-tutorials/essential-training/74534-2.html

12. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wood,

Sounds pretty productive to me!:lol:

I'm finally getting a bit of time that I can devote to this stuff, so I might even finish a tune or three this year. No promises though this time! I have a kinda silly novelty song that I may try and do a quick and dirty "complete" song just to get the ball rolling.

I was supposed to have a mix gig, but the artist went back to square one on the project, so we'll see if that comes to fruition this year.

Recording last year was a bit of a challenge. The neighbors had a baby and I didn't do any recording for the first few months on account of that. And because my kid also got diagnosed with autism around that time, and there was and will continue to be a bit of time trying to wrangle resources, educate ourselves etc. Then, the neighbors moved but rented their basement out to a couple kids. Noisy. All the time. Like all the time. Not terrible frat-party noisy, but kinda noisy. All the time. Did I mention that? A lot of whoo-hooing etc. Don't think I could record acoustic or vox at all. So, we'll see what happens with that.

Otherwise, I want to dig a bit deeper into the dusty corners of Logic that I don't know - things like the synths.

Oh, and learn to program drums without wanting to poke my eyes out with a rusty spoon.

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a pair of mics that would be ideal for all that acoustic and vocal recording that I can't currently do due to the noisy neighbors. Smart huh?

Going to get my monitors fixed. One of them has a low-level but quite audible hiss. Apparently they don't dissipate heat all that well and it fries something that makes them hiss. I monitor really quietly most of the time, so it's an issue and seems to be getting worse. Or it's bugging me more. Will probably wait till the summer when recording ceases here anyways.

Will try and not buy any more gear - especially compressors - other than the aforementioned mics. Wish me luck.

Cheers,
    Geoff

13. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks woody.
    The album that is being mastered this week is a something I am producing and engineering.

My own solo album I will self-produce, although I may not do the final mix.

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My plans for 2013 are to follow the course that I've been on for the past six or seven years, which is to write when the mood strikes me, record when time permits, and to continue to improve my recording and playing. It's 100% hobby for me (though an expensive one!), and part of the appeal is that I can work on things when I want to, not because I have to. I get enough scheduling and hot-rush deadlines at work, this is my escape from all of that.

15. woodman

Good lord, man, that sounds almost sane! Except the recording part. :D

16. Frodebro

I'm one of those goofy types that finds recording to be a relaxing process, but I'm a fairly patient person when it comes to this kind of stuff. I'm also single and live alone, so I don't have to worry about driving anyone crazy if I work on the same part for an hour straight before I nail it.

17. woodman

I confess, impatience is my downfall ... I get all anxious to finish up so I can start on another idea. BAD! So you've given me a lesson to chew on for today. :cool:

18. Frodebro

I'm never in a hurry. My day job is very rushed in an effort to get all of my accounts taken care of within a limited time frame, so when I get home the clock STOPS.

I also try to not spend all of my time on one song, as I find that after too long I'll start to burn out on it and then I'm just going through the motions to get it finished. So after a while I'll save and close that project, then open another one that I've been working on and mess with it for a while. I try to always balance things out so that when I open a project (be it new or an older one) I still have that enthusiasm happening for whatever I'm working on.

19. woodman

I didn't get into digital recording until I took early retirement as a journalist at the local paper, hopping from deadline to deadline endlessly ... evidently I've been slow to shake off that instinct. Trouble is, now, I have a scarier deadline — old age! :lol:

Like you, I keep several projects going in various stages of development. It's mainly when the tune's going into the home stretch that I go into the obsess-a-thon. But the gist of your post — *we do this for fun* — reminded me that I don't have to flog myself like it was a day job!!!:D

20. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Meister

Here's hoping your right Woody. I know I put in quite a bit of time on a couple of them (even started programming brass on one of them) so there may be a couple of nuggets in there.

My other challenge, once all the moves are out of the way, is my actual recording environment. Here I use the office as that's where the computer is, at the new place it's the same setup but different room obviously. Perhaps this will make me spend more time on set up and mic placement as that was something I was "getting around to" here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.