So what's going on with daylight savings time?

lowatter

Tele-Afflicted
I mostly read through this thread and I don't think that anyone mentioned that school kids waiting in the dark for busses in the AM should be taken into consideration. I lived in Arizona for many years and I don't like the time changing here in SC. It seems to throw everything off all wonky for a while.

robistro

TDPRI Member
I think it was initiated as a joke It saves nothing. Is the glass half empty or half full head game.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
No matter what, I drive to work when it's dark in the winter. I would rather have it be light at 5:30 pm then dark at 4:30 pm. Fall back and leave it!
The thing that drove me nuts, was shutting down the office while it was still light, but it would be dark before you could get home. But later I was lucky, being the boss. I'd leave some days an hour or more early, then work until 7:00 PM or whatever the remaining days.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Everybody says that they hate the changes and it should just be one thing. Nobody remembers, I think in the 1970's, it was DST all year because of some energy thing and everybody hated it. People hate this. People hate that. People just like to hate.
I agree, but I'm gonna stubbornly object to the term "hate" being used here. These are just complaints. Maybe a little mild resentment, usually not even that. Let's save the "H" word for those awful situations where it is the right word.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Retired. I never know what time it is anyway. Do your worst.
I've simply got to know what time it is, so I can listen to Kai Ryssdal (Marketplace on NPR). Whether I need a break or not from clearing brush and cutting trees, or monkeying with older cars, or the guitar, I gotta stop and hear my show.

Now, I may forget what day of the week it is, but that's another thing! :^)

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I mostly read through this thread and I don't think that anyone mentioned that school kids waiting in the dark for busses in the AM should be taken into consideration. I lived in Arizona for many years and I don't like the time changing here in SC. It seems to throw everything off all wonky for a while.
Anecdotally, I see stories of kids being mowed down after school, those first 5 weeks when DST has shut down, more than I see or hear about tragic events in early morning. People are out of practice and used to being able to roll home (or to the bar) pretty much on the phone and out of it. Frankly, a lot of people are at their peak performance in the early part of the day. Frank Sinatra was right, that's as well as those people are gonna be all day.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
It doesn’t.

The entire concept doesn’t work, period. The states that change their clocks have more accidents in the spring because drivers and workers are deprived of the hour of sleep. The kids are exhausted for around six weeks because of the loss of an hour’s sleep, so their grades go down and behavioral problems increase.

And (personally) I’m tired all winter because my mind and body says, “Dark, go to bed…” but it gets dark too early in the evening.

If we were still an agricultural society, it might work.
We aren’t.

I hope we truly move on in 2023
Not that anyone cares, but DST is largely responsible for the decline, and death, of drive-in theaters. When the first film on a double bill can't start until around 9:00 PM, that's just too late for many patrons.
And.....farmers and ranchers don't care what time the clocks say.....or rather, their animals don't care. The only thing that affects cows and chickens is the sun. Heck, I don't think most chickens can even tell time......even if the clock is a digital one. ;)

Poster Extraordinaire
My initial thought reading through this thread is that those most opposed to the change don't understand how it works.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My opinion is farmers go by the natural time of day as opposed to the clock. Getting light out? You're late to work!

SPRING FORWARD AND STAY THERE!

In there winter up here in the upper lattitude it's dark when you go to work and dark when you get home. We have voted to stay on DLS, but apparently the fed has to approve the change. what BS is that?

I can tell you this, the change itself, losing or gaining an hour, is disruptive to people. As a manager for 30 years I can tell you people have trouble getting adjusted. Then they eventually get in the groove and............. they have to change again!

Most in the north want more daylight in the working hours in the winter.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Not that anyone cares, but DST is largely responsible for the decline, and death, of drive-in theaters. When the first film on a double bill can't start until around 9:00 PM, that's just too late for many patrons.
And.....farmers and ranchers don't care what time the clocks say.....or rather, their animals don't care. The only thing that affects cows and chickens is the sun. Heck, I don't think most chickens can even tell time......even if the clock is a digital one. ;)
Scientist have completely overlooked the factor of Drive Inn Movies closing up in their search to uncover WHY birthrates are declining in the U.S. Many families owe their beginnings to mom and dad being at the drive inn, everyone knows that. (Except the scientist)

Knows3Chords

Tele-Afflicted
Scientist have completely overlooked the factor of Drive Inn Movies closing up in their search to uncover WHY birthrates are declining in the U.S. Many families owe their beginnings to mom and dad being at the drive inn, everyone knows that. (Except the scientist)
Maybe because those scientist were the ones parked up front who actually watched the movie. I remember half of the cars parked in the back rows never had a speaker through their window. That's called a clue. :);)

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
I've simply got to know what time it is, so I can listen to Kai Ryssdal (Marketplace on NPR). Whether I need a break or not from clearing brush and cutting trees, or monkeying with older cars, or the guitar, I gotta stop and hear my show.

Now, I may forget what day of the week it is, but that's another thing! :^)
Funnily, I have a clock prominent on the workshop wall...but I forget it is there.

I also lose track of the day. Only Wednesdays are important now. That's when the recycling center is closed. Frustrating to pull up with a load and have to drive back.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
You're totally right, TD......
There's just no telling how my life would have turned out if there had been no Drive-In Theaters when I was in high school. :(