So what's going on with daylight savings time?

Knows3Chords

Tele-Holic
The biggest argument I have heard is that later sunrises effects safety of children on their way to school in the morning. I'm not so sure about that. That could be addressed by school districts and , God forbid, the parents themselves too.

rdjones

Tele-Holic
I would personally prefer if the sun would reach its peak in the sky at "high noon".
It's right there in the name.
In other words, local noon=12:00pm.
However, this is not conducive to having syncronized time zones.
The next best step would be to have local noon occur midway between the time zone borders.
This would give us approximately the same amount of daylight before and after noon, which is how I believe most scientists and astronomers would like it.

"Daylight Saving"
No daylight is being "saved" or lost based on the position of the hands on any clock.

U.S. Senate approves bill to make daylight saving time permanent.
WASHINGTON, March 15 (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate on Tuesday passed legislation that would make daylight saving time permanent starting in 2023, ending the twice-annual changing of clocks in a move promoted by supporters advocating brighter afternoons and more economic activity.
Sunlight intensity is nearly constant, any variation is vanishingly small and not the result of clock manipulation.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
I've heard the reason they would put the time forward an hour was to give the farmers an hour more in the morning. That was a hundred years ago.

The often cited contemporary reason for DST is that it makes things safer for school kids on buses or being picked up from daycare and makes it easier for them to have outdoor after-school activities in the afternoon.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I live in California and have no idea what is going on with daylight savings time? In my opinion, we should use the DLS where we get the most sunlight in the winter. Then lock it in making it the one and only time plan.

I've heard the reason they would put the time forward an hour was to give the farmers an hour more in the morning. That was a hundred years ago.

What are your thoughts on this timely issue.

Fall back and keep it there, I say.
When I first read your post, I was sure you had your tongue firmly planted in your cheek. ;)
The only REAL issue with DST is "scheduling". We still have exactly the same amount of daylight/dark regardless of what your clock says. The biggest problem I ever had with DST was when it forced me to drive to work directly facing the sun (at times) or driving home facing the sun. I think it's better for people (adults AND children) to rise in the AM with daylight......children especially respond better in learning with natural light. Many learning problems can be directly linked to the "window-less" environments of modern schools.
But, I digress......just pick a "time" and stay on it......quit messing with the clocks!!!!! ;)

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Pick one. Having spent considerable time in places without DST or crossing time zones and bumping clocks, I say the flipflop is just that.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
Arizona doesn't observe Daylight Savings. How does that work?
It doesn’t.

The entire concept doesn’t work, period. The states that change their clocks have more accidents in the spring because drivers and workers are deprived of the hour of sleep. The kids are exhausted for around six weeks because of the loss of an hour’s sleep, so their grades go down and behavioral problems increase.

And (personally) I’m tired all winter because my mind and body says, “Dark, go to bed…” but it gets dark too early in the evening.

If we were still an agricultural society, it might work.
We aren’t.

I hope we truly move on in 2023

ricardo1912

Friend of Leo's
Slightly different in the UK, which is smaller than Texas and only has one time zone. However, I'm always puzzled by the fact that while we slavishly followed the EU in almost everything, we never adopted European time. We're always an hour behind them, which can be a pain for businesses.