So what's going on with daylight savings time?

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
I live in California and have no idea what is going on with daylight savings time? In my opinion, we should use the DLS where we get the most sunlight in the winter. Then lock it in making it the one and only time plan.

I've heard the reason they would put the time forward an hour was to give the farmers an hour more in the morning. That was a hundred years ago.

What are your thoughts on this timely issue.

Fall back and keep it there, I say.

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
One major objection is the late hour of the latest sunrise of the year for some areas. Most of California does okay, but not so much in the northwest portions of each time zone. Tough to imagine sunrise after 9 AM.

1664381518824.png

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Personally I love the later sunset.

But off topic, when you face adversity, when an animal is startled, they spring back or fall forward. Just pointing out that there should be someone with an edit pen in the room when public officials make decisions.

Hey_you

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
U.S. Senate approves bill to make daylight saving time permanent.
WASHINGTON, March 15 (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate on Tuesday passed legislation that would make daylight saving time permanent starting in 2023, ending the twice-annual changing of clocks in a move promoted by supporters advocating brighter afternoons and more economic activity.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
From what I have read, they are more likely to lock it into the daylight savings time than standard. Of course, this makes perfects sense when you realize the goal of California is to be wrong on everything! ;)
BINGO! The man in the the calf high plaid golf togs and argyle sox has got it right once again:
you realize the goal of California is to be wrong on everything!
It's true, it certainly is a fact.The land of the Sierra soon to be beachfront properties as the man with the incredible shrinking handicap sets out religiously to get it wrong with every opportunity. COUNT ON IT!

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I want them to just leave it, one way or the other I don't care.
They are working on a plan right now to advance it two hours a day, on odd days, retard it three hours a day on even days, and on alternate years divide by .57, and adjust times accordingly. We think you will REALLY LIKE what they've come up with.

Dennyf

Tele-Afflicted
U.S. Senate approves bill to make daylight saving time permanent.
WASHINGTON, March 15 (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate on Tuesday passed legislation that would make daylight saving time permanent starting in 2023, ending the twice-annual changing of clocks in a move promoted by supporters advocating brighter afternoons and more economic activity.
Yeah, I hope this makes it all the way.

One of my uncles was a dairy farmer. He never changed his clock from standard time in the summer. Said the cows expected to be milked at the same time no matter what the clock said, so it was easier for him to stick with the cows.

And while, as a kid I always looked forward to daylight savings time, after school started if we hadn't gone back to standard time, by November I'd have been getting on the bus in the dark.

So while I'm all for sticking to one time year-'round, I'm not sure it should be "daylight" time. I think there are studies showing that standard time would be healthier in terms of being more congruent with the normal human diurnal cycle.

Now, about that metric system . . .

TeleMark

Tele-Meister
Arizona doesn't observe Daylight Savings. How does that work?
Very well, mostly. The biggest PITA is that while my clocks never change, everyone else's DOES. So all of my regular meetings move an hour twice a year. When I had a London-based group, those meetings changed a week or so before or after the rest of my meetings. And don't even get me STARTED on trying to call India.

I've lived in AZ for 17 years. My mom on the east coast still can never figure out what time it is for me.