1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So what was your 1st guitar? And do you still own it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Don Rich Rules, Oct 3, 2020.

1. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

The Twin Reverb's a 1970. (New blackface cosmetics and blackfaced circuitry). It was a raw chassis I bought on eBay, because Canada Post wouldn't accept shipping that was the weight of the whole amp. So, the seller pieced it all off as separate units....the chassis as one unit, the speakers as a second unit, and the cabinet as the third unit. I decided to buy just the raw chassis and enclose it in a head cabinet.....My previous amp was a Fender Super Twin Reverb, so I was all too familiar with the weight issue hauling a Twin Combo around. I got really lucky though....When I bought the new head cabinet, I completely overlooked the reverb tank, so I bought a standard cabinet rather than one of the over-height sizes that Fender used for the amps with tanks that would normally have been in the bottom of combo amp cabinets. Fortunately, there was room for the tank in the bottom of the shorter head cabinet and it doesn't make any noise from the tank being so close to the chassis.

I love still having my first guitar, but I sold it and then, years later, spent an absolutely stupid amount buying it back. Dumb, but sentimentality. I just found out I've got to move after almost 17 years, so I'm going to make some mercenary decisions about what I can keep. Th first guitar will be one that has to get sold because I won't have near as much room for extra instruments in my next apartment. I figure I'll get about 1/3 of what I paid to buy it back.

2. Don Rich Rules

Don Rich Rules Tele-Meister

It's too bad you can't keep the guitar. It's funny, I also had a Fender Supertwin reverb. I was 15 years old lugging around a 90lbs amp! It was also one of the loudest amps I ever owned.
    The 6 6L6 tubes and the bizarre 6C10 inverter tube, not to mention the massive output transformer were all way over the top. It had so much headroom I could never get a good overdrive sound outta that amp. Ted Nugent used 6 of those amps and every amp had an additional 2x15 cabinet chained on the amp. These days I Mic up my 1975 Princeton reverb my Dad gave me when I was 11 and come back through a dedicated monitor and through other monitors on stage. I set my pedalboard up into the amp and I never turn the amp past 2 and a half or maybe 3 so there's tons of headroom left in the amp. Then I put it in a fish tank isolation box. Mic it up with a Royer and im good to go. All I really hear is the monitor and the front system. I can set up in 5 minutes and breakdown in 3. I couldnt imagine lugging around a 90lb amp at my age!

Stay well and good luck in your new apartment.

spellcaster likes this.
  3. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

1979 Mansfield (Gibson SG model). I still have it and use it for slide.

Don Rich Rules likes this.
  4. Don Rich Rules

Don Rich Rules Tele-Meister

41 years later and you still use it, that's cool!

Mayas caster likes this.
  5. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

'79 Yamaha FG335 I bought new. Still own it.

Don Rich Rules likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.