1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So what was your 1st guitar? And do you still own it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Don Rich Rules, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Don Rich Rules

Don Rich Rules Tele-Meister

Seagulls guitars were great guitars for the money they cost.

Do you have any links to any of the music you've recorded?
    I'd like the chance to listen to your music.

Stay well

2. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Bought it new and Still have it look close you will see a quarter under low E saddle to fix buzz. I know how to fix it now but I'm not changing it. Only guitar I have ever had that weighed more than a Paul
    Peavey.jpg

3. Don Rich Rules

Nice guitar!

pinchegil likes this.
  4. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

No-name classical that my Mom bought from a fellow waitress for $15 when I was 14 years old. I put steel strings on it. The action was terrible. But I learned on it until I bought a better guitar. Gave it to a friend in Florida 45 years ago, good riddance, LOL.

Don Rich Rules likes this.
  5. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

Sharp eyes will note one of its distinguishing features: A Zero Fret!

Ebony fretboard 12-string with a very thin nut. I alternated between playing it as a six-string and then as a 12-string. Some of the best action on a guitar I've ever played.

6. telejnky

telejnky Tele-Meister

1965 I was handed down a Stella acoustic from my older brother I was nine. Played it to death took it everywhere and wore the finish off of it. At 12 in a fit of dumb I spray painted it blue. It’s a wall hanger now. Good times!

Don Rich Rules and dougstrum like this.
  7. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

A little $25 Sears nylon string from the Wishbook catalogue. My grandmother bought it for me as a Christmas present when I was 9 or 10. Still have it.

8. Rattfink

Rattfink Tele-Meister

Mine was a Washburn BT-2 that I got from Mars Music in the late nineties. 24.75 scale with a double humbucker setup and a plastic nut. I still have it, but it’s electronics are stripped out from earlier tinkering projects. Going to use it to hone my skills with fretwork and what not and get it back to playable condition. Actually played quite nicely with decent action. Has a Rat Fink sticker on it, probably not a surprise there...

9. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

My first was a nylon string that we had around the house for years. No one played but it was in the closet. I hear we got it from my dad's aunt somehow. We would use it as a prop to pretent to be the monkees. Around 12 in 76 my parents got together with my friends parents and put us in guitar lessons together as we had moved away and couldn't see each other much. So that was fun and I was making progress and even started learning stairway. My friend was getting nowhere so we swapped guitars and I found out the new one his parents bought had horrible action. I told him to tell his parents but he didnt want to make then feel bad. I offered to share mine or alternate weeks but he didnt want to. So he dropped out and I kept moving on.
    So I learned what good action was early. Later I got my sigma steel string with birthday and christmas money saved up. I think we sold the nylon to a friend of my mom. To this day I suspect that guitar might have been a very very good Japanese made guitar but I'll never know. Dont even know the name.
    Still have the sigma and it's still pretty good. Turns out my wife has the same model as her first and bought at the same time.
    I also dont have either of my first 2 electrics but I do have my first 1 bought at a store. A Seville bolt neck explorer copy. I frankensteined the crap out of it and it isnt playable anymore. The neck pocket is just too loose. Fixable if I ever get to it. The neck and fret job looks like crap but it is actually an excellent playing fat back neck.

10. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

My brother and each got a Stella. I was 13 years old. We must have been motivated because we played the heck out of those guitars. As I recall the action was brutal, but heh we had guitars:cool:
    Don't still have it, and don't miss it, after a couple yrs we found much better instruments;)

11. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

My first guitar was a no-name acoustic. The strings were so high that I almost gave up playing guitar. So no good memories there. I don’t even remember what happened to it. I certainly wouldn’t have given that torture device away, and it certainly wasn’t good for much as far as selling or trading.

Forty years is a long time. Did I use it for firewood?:D

I doubt that even have a photo of me playing it.

Don Rich Rules and dougstrum like this.
  12. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

A bottom-of-the-line Goya classical.

No.

13. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Woolworth Top 20, borrowed from my grandfather. My brother has it now, and it's in sad shape, but my mother doesn't want it leaving the house, or else I'd fix it up for him. It's missing the pickup switches and the bridge, maybe a few pickguard screws.

The action was so horrible that even after 5 or 10 much better guitars since then, I still have to remind myself to relax my grip.

The last time I played it was about 5 years after I left home, and those pickups sounded so sweet and mellow that it'd make a damn fine jazz guitar if I ever get the opportunity to fix it up.

14. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Just posted this in the EVH thread a few days back. My first guitar was this Hondo. The one in the pic isn’t mine but I had the exact same one. I have no idea what happened to it and I don’t remember how good or bad it was. I wouldn’t have known any better at the time anyway. I just knew it was cool because it looked like Eddie's.
    38EA5F8C-79C3-42A1-8C27-1F11E97D6C00.jpeg

15. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I bought a mij SG copy, new, at a pawn shop. @ 1977. I think it was $80? Maybe a Global? In today’s money, that’s like @ $400 if the currency calculator I chose is accurate.
    So, what would I rather have now? The new copy SG or what $400 can get me now?
    Ha... you can run the list of great $400 guitars.

16. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

I've posted this before, but what the heck, it's just about the only time it comes out of it's case now. My first guitar was a single pickup Zenon that I bought from Sears for 29.95. I've upgraded to a Gibson ABR bridge and done some basic setup work, but it's still the worst guitar I've ever owned. It's a wonder I persevered long enough to learn to play.

[​IMG]

17. Don Rich Rules

I had no idea Woolworth sold guitars!

18. Don Rich Rules

Cool 1st guitar! What year is the Twin reverb and how did it wind up coming outta a combo amp?

19. Don Rich Rules

That's cool!

dburns likes this.
  20. Don Rich Rules

It may be a wall hanger but you still have it around. That's cool!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.