1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So what was your 1st guitar? And do you still own it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Don Rich Rules, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Don Rich Rules

Don Rich Rules Tele-Meister

I remember the Epiphone acoustic Dreadnought guitars had a bolt on neck.
    Humming birds are beautiful guitars.

2. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

Some crappy Yamaha acoustic,was my first guitar. And happily, no. I got rid of that guitar when I could afford my first a solid wood acoustic. That was 26 years ago.

Don Rich Rules likes this.
  3. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

My first was a large F-hole arched top National. The neck was cork screwed, so after I figured that out, I traded it for a Peavy T-15, and haven't looked back.

4. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Fender Bullet. Fiesta red. Nice guitar - don’t still have it.

5. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

In 1995, when I was 17, I sold my motorcycle and used the money to buy a Seagull Folk Cedar model, which I guess was the Seagull equivalent of a 000-18 in size but with mahogany b/s and a solid cedar top. No pick guard. Very plain, matte finish. Bought it at a small guitar shop in Worcester, England. I still have it.

A year or so later, someone knocked it off a stand and the neck broke at the headstock. I was gutted. I got some glue and did a hack repair job in my bedroom, and it healed up just fine. I have never adjusted the truss-rod, so I'm not sure if the glue I used may have paralyzed it?

Action is quite high, but the main thing about this guitar is the width of the neck - very wide! Much wider than my dad's Yamaha which I had been using before I bought the Seagull. I struggled a bit at first, especially with wrapping my thumb over for F chords, but I think it made me into a better player.

It always sounded great, and these days it sounds really lovely, warm and mellow. But I rarely choose it over one of my Martins. I recorded ten or so albums of fingerstyle folk songs with it, and I will keep it forever!

IMG_3831.jpg

mkdaws32 and Don Rich Rules like this.
  6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Regarding my first guitar, well, it wasn't really mine, and I no longer have it. Neither me nor my siblings remember what happened to it.

But there are a couple of similarities to your experience and mine. It was my Dad's. And it was an archtop.

It wasn't actually the first guitar of Dad's I ever plunked around on. That would have been his 1961 Stella by Harmony H929. But the first guitar I used after I got serious about learning in 1967 was his Harmony Archtone H1213 archtop. Like I said, I don't remember what happened to it, but it's long gone.

But earlier this year I got serious about finding one. At first I was thinking the exact same model as Dad's, that H1213. But in the process, someone's comment here on TDPRI about a birthyear guitar made me realize that I could shoot for both a Harmony brand archtop and my birthyear guitar all in one. So I widened my search parameters, and in May I scored a 1953 Harmony Broadway H954 archtop. So I now have an MiC (Made in Chicago) Harmony brand archtop that was made the year I was born. It is actually a better model than the one my Dad had, but it's certainly an homage to my Dad and that guitar that I got serious on.

[​IMG]
    upload_2020-10-4_13-15-53.png
    [​IMG]

7. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I think they came out mid 60s, bit like Watkins Rapiers or Horner. Decent guitar though I had no idea how to set it up. I had a 15W Jennings amp with a single 10” speaker and got a decent enough sound.

8. Don Rich Rules

Fiesta Red likes this.
  9. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

My first guitar was a $17 acoustic from May Company's basement store. With any luck, it's in a landfill somewhere. My first electric was a Gretsch Astro Jet, and it's long gone, I have no idea where it is now.

10. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

First guitar I learned to play on was this one:
    FBF457C0-2B91-4B6C-AD14-7C81BA6C1910.jpeg
    My mum’s old (late 1950s / early ‘60s) 3/4 scale nylon string Swiss guitar. I started learning on it in 1974 or thereabouts. I borrowed it back from my Mum about 20 years ago and I still have it & still play it. Pretty scuffed and the intonation is suspect but it has a nice tone.

My first electric:
    0C7B1356-E2DC-4660-BC21-C5CB7DD2B623.jpeg
    Watkins Rapier 33, this photo is probably 1978. I don’t have the guitar anymore (or the 5W JHS practice amp I played it through) but I do still have that strap.

11. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

My first guitar was a Kay Warped Neck I bought from my best friend for ten dollars. Horrible guitar, but it got me hooked. A couple of years later when I was in college overseas, I bought a brand new Framus 12-string.

Next year it will be 50 years old. Holy cow!

[​IMG]

Fiesta Red likes this.
  12. Don Rich Rules

That's a cool guitar! It looks like a Martin parlor guitar from the 1860s.

Fiesta Red and AAT65 like this.
  13. Don Rich Rules

Time flies! Nice guitar!

14. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I know what you mean... the brand is Goldklang and my Mum’s guitar teacher recommended it to her when her original guitar was stolen.
    image.jpg

15. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Holic

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    My 1st ever was a Harmony flat top, got it from a kid in my class for $5 in 1964. Don't have it or any picture of it. My first electric is the Zim-Gar pictured below, gotten in 1965. Still have it and every now and then I tune it up and give it a play.

20190302_124235.jpg

16. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

3rd hand Kaye archtop with action you could shoot arrows with.
    El Kabong’d it after I got something better.

17. Don Rich Rules

That logo branded into the body, I've never seen anything like it.
    What a great guitars to have!

18. trackerdan

trackerdan Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

It was an approximate 1960 Harmony F hole acoustic. No truss rod, a neck bigger than a tree trunk, the action higher than the golden gate and it was the ****s to play. I played it for about a year. No I do not still own it and I have never missed it. After that my folks thought they would do a little better and bought me a new 1961 Gibson dual pickup melody maker. What an improvement! That one I still wish I had it.

19. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

A 1976 Fender classical, LONG gone.

20. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

At one point my dad tried to pick up guitar and got Del Rey classical. He lasted a few lessons and realized he wasn't a guitarist I guess. He left the guitar in the corner of his closet. I'd sit in there and plunk on it. So he gave it to me. I promptly put steel strings on it and was off to the races. The action was probably 3/4" at the 12th fret. I have no idea what happened to it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.