1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So what was your 1st guitar? And do you still own it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Don Rich Rules, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Don Rich Rules

Don Rich Rules Tele-Meister

One of my closest life long friend had a Harmony F Hole the. I think it was a "Broadway" model. Nice guitar

2. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Holic

20201003_194906.jpg
    2014 Squier HH Bullet I bought in 2016, found on CL for $75
    Since then:
    Fret level, Fender tuners, new nut, string trees, bridge, pick guard, pots, switch, and some Bootstrap pickups. I still can't play.:(

scotartt and Don Rich Rules like this.
  3. Don Rich Rules

Very Nice! Up grading the parts was a good idea.
    If you are just starting out on the guitar find yourself a good teacher.
    Technique is a very important part of playing.
    My Dad was a guitar player and I learned a lot about
    how to actually play the guitar from him. I had a lot of fun learning how to
    play. Just make sure you're always enjoying yourself with it.

Stay well.

4. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Don't remember the make. Still have it, but the neck is completely off at the moment.

My mom got it at a garage sale for $2 back in the 70s.

[​IMG]

5. Guy Guyatone

Guy Guyatone TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Alamo Fiesta, single pickup. I traded it for a Vox Stroller.
    It worked, sort of:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    DDickens and Don Rich Rules like this.
  6. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Mine was a brand new Teisco that I bought with $28 hard-earned bucks from a discount store called "Uncle Bills" in 1966. If I recall correctly, that $28 bucks probably included the tax. :)

I learned how to play (some what) on that guitar; I played it every day. It had some pretty rough string action on it but I had no knowledge of what to do to make it play better.

For a real setup back then, in the pre-internet days and pre-Guitar Center days (yes, there was such a time), it was either go to a music store that had a good guitar tech (that would have been Lay's in Akron Ohio -1st choice, or DeFiore's Music in Cleveland Ohio -a distant 2nd choice). The other option was, if you were fortunate enough to know someone (or know someone who knew someone ;)) with the skills, but that was pretty darn rare.

I remember trying to trade that Teisco for a used amp. The fella that owned the little neighborhood music store (Mario's Music in North Royalton, Ohio) wouldn't offer up anything but a beat-up Ampeg and I still had to kick in some more of those hard-earned bucks. But that Ampeg was light years better than the old phono amp I had been using. Plus, it had reverb ;).

So yes, that 1st guitar is a long time gone.

Some un-solicited information:

My second guitar was a little better - a used 1963 Strat that I bought for a whopping $120 hard-earned bucks in 1967. I bought it from a guy that quit the wedding band business and was trying to establish himself as a real estate salesman :).

7. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

nah I was busking one the street 7 days a week, playing patched together Son House improvisations 8 to 10 hours a day for over 5 year, The money was way better than a job I got really good at what I was doing people liked it a lot and I just burnt out. I never wanted to do busking again I traded it for a Beautiful up scale Takamine classical guitar found a good guitar teacher and bought the complete Paul Simon Songbook.
    Do I regret not having it , well yes and no.
    Max2.jpg

Don Rich Rules likes this.
  8. Don Rich Rules

Well I was fortunate to have a Dad who was a good player.
    When I started playing at age 10 he knew I needed a guitar that played effortlessly.
    He had Martin's, L5, Super 400, Strats Teles, it was like growing up in a Nirvana filled with guitars. There were no Guitar centers, only Sam Ash. Not that I'd ever bring or buy anything from either of those stores. We had a local Luthier who was affectionately known as "the butcher". But the butcher did decent set ups. As I got older, around 13 I could do all my own setups. I read a ton of books that all said the same thing so I just used that information and embellished on it. I never had enough balls to refret a guitar. Plus if I did any thing bad to the guitar I had no one to yell at. So as I got older around 17 I started finding out who were the good guitar repair guys and I went to them.
    So whatever happened to your Strat and Ampeg Amplifier? Do you still have them?

9. Don Rich Rules

Looks like someth6 Geoorge Jetson would play on the weekends!
    Very cool guitar!

Guy Guyatone likes this.
  10. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Friend of Leo's

Zim-Gar.

JJ

11. Don Rich Rules

Sing at, I remember them well.

12. Don Rich Rules

13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Kay vanguard. No logo

14. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

A cheap beat up no-name acoustic with 3/8" action. I got it for $35 in 1980. I played the crap out that guitar. Learned all the cowboy chords. Prolly fell apart in my hands. When I got a decent guitar it seemed easy.

15. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

My very first guitar was a nylon string acoustic that my mother purchased for me with S&H Greenstamps. I no longer have the guitar.

16. Guy Guyatone

Guy Guyatone TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

It was actually a "thin-line" —hollow inside—weighing about 4 pounds.

17. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

No Don, both the '63 Strat and the old Ampeg are long gone.

In 1976 I was gearing up for a trip to Alaska. I had a friend and his gal who had just gone up about 6 months earlier and he was making a big paycheck up there and enjoying it. With all fish and animals and woods it sounded like a place I'd like to check out myself.

The only problem - I was a little short on funds to make the drive in my old pickup and camper.

So I ended up selling the'63 Strat to a guy who worked for Ford Motor Company. They were working a lot of over-time right then and he had money falling out of his pockets.

He knew I was thinking about selling it, and asked me how much I'd take for it. I wasn't particularly knowledgeable about guitar prices, so I picked what I thought was a high number and told him $375 bucks. To my surprise, he pulled a wad of money out of his pocket and counted off $375.

I'm still not sure if he or I got the best deal, but he was happy, and the $375 paid for food and gas for the the 13 day trip to Alaska, plus I still had my acoustic guitar ;).

I really did like Alaska, especially in the summer. I ended up staying for 16 years and might still be there if not for some family emergencies that came up :).

P Thought and scotartt like this.
  18. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

First guitar was two pieces of particle board, about 1' X 2', glued together, with a Harmony neck affixed, and one DeArmond pickup.
    I was in heaven.
    First actual guitar was a Silvertone Danelectro, one pickup, wish I still had it.

scotartt likes this.
  19. scotartt

scotartt TDPRI Member

In 1982 I bought my first guitar ... a 'burst Fender Jazz Bass second-hand. I do not remember the vintage (maybe 70s?) or the price. It still had the bridge cover on it and came with flat wound strings.

A few years later I sold it and bought a Yamaha RB-something brand new which I still have. I needed the cash difference at the time and I wish I did not because I wish I still had that J-bass to play. The Yamaha is a great instrument, don't get me wrong, Yamaha make great instruments, however it's not a vintage J-bass.

20. scotartt

scotartt TDPRI Member

I have to say the first electric guitar I bought is the Squier Telecaster I'm currently upgrading. Even though it's of Chinese manufacture it plays pretty well.
    IMG_1146 copy.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.