So what type of laquer should I use?

Silverface

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Not sure if these are pro caliber or not, but they're acceptable as far as calipers go.
Errrr - WHAT???

"calipers" have NO use in finish work. There ARE tools to measure wet film thickness, but it's better to follow directions, read, study - then apply the whole system on scrap wood until you get it right.

There are no shortcuts, and if you follow directions about applying THIN coats, not worrying about coverage at all (it happens on its own) and don't TOUCH the guyitar until you know what you're doing it should come out at least "OK"

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
It depends on if you want a pro caliper job or acceptable.

Not sure if these are pro caliber or not, but they're acceptable as far as calipers go.

Errrr - WHAT???

"calipers" have NO use in finish work. There ARE tools to measure wet film thickness, but it's better to follow directions, read, study - then apply the whole system on scrap wood until you get it right.
You are correct. Calipers don't factor into finishing. 'eallen' wrote "if you want a pro 'caliper' job or acceptable." My response highlighted 'eallen's' caliper reference.

Last edited:

reedrainey

TDPRI Member
So I f I bought some off StewMac, how many cans should I buy?
You know you're going to have to be much more specific about what kind of finish you're going after...solid color with a clear coat on top or without, in order to get anyone to answer your question. Also, you're going to need to read-up on the problem of "blushing" with lacquer and how to avoid or solve it. It's very tricky to work with and you need to read-up on how to apply it before you start shooting it. And it will be a lot harder if you use spray cans, even from StewMac, which I approve of whole-heartedly. It takes experience in order to keep from causing it to "sag", and correcting that kind of mistake will take more cans, depending on how bad it is. Also, you're possibly going to find the occasional can that has a sputtering spray head or a can that simply has a dud valve in it after you buy it. It happens with the best companies, even StewMac. Then you have to order more cans and wait for them to come in. Since you're already acquainted with StewMac, get Dan Erlewine and Don MacRostie's "Guitar Finishing Step-By-Step, 2nd edition" and read it cover-to-cover, Also. watch the YouTube video: "Aerosol Guitar Finishing". It's the best you're going to find so you can be prepared for what you're about to do...it's NOT easy!! And it takes a helluva lot of patience and time to do a good job. If you still want to do it after that video, go for it. It has convinced me that I'd rather buy a pre-painted body and maybe even a finished neck than buy all the equipment it takes to paint one correctly with the right results. I think it would take about 4 times the money for the equipment than it costs to buy the body and neck from someplace like stratosphereparts.com . At the very least, watch that video before you buy the finishing book or any supplies.

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
Pay attention to silverface! He presumably hadn't noticed your age when he made the Cheetos comment, but he knows his stuff. Take all of that finish off now and start over after you've at least figured out how the stuff works.

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
Pay attention to silverface! He presumably hadn't noticed your age when he made the Cheetos comment, but he knows his stuff. Take all of that finish off now and start over after you've at least figured out how the stuff works.
Yes, I will. And yeah, I don't think he payed attention to that lol

scottrandall

TDPRI Member
Gracey's had the exact color (Seafoam Green) of nitrocellulose, in a 16 oz. spray can. They're located in the U.K., so it was steep ($40.30). I got exactly what I was after, which was what was promised - in a timely fashion. I'm 'frugal', and if I'd found what I was looking for for less, I would've jumped on it. I have no complaints, however, because it covered well, and turned out great!