So, what does ROSS stand for?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by betocool, Jun 24, 2018.

1. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

This really must be one of the stupidest questions asked in a while, but it's got me stumped!

I know the last S (or at least one of them) stands for "S"ander. But the rest?

I also know (think) it looks like a belt sander with a table all around it and it's perpendicular to the table, and some of you use it for sanding the bodies.

I thought I could get one, if I could find out who sells them and what it's called in Oztrailia. And yet, not even Google tells me what ROSS is (other than Monica's brother and an actual gentleman called Ross Sander).

And spindle sanders I did find.

Here's a nice pic of the instrument in question

temp.jpg

Cheers,

Albert

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

eallen likes this.
  3. tonefi

tonefi TDPRI Member

bullfrogblues and John Nicholas like this.
  4. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

5. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

As someone who has wanted a ROSS for years - but Rigid doesn't make them for the local market, I was really excited to see this thread and the suggestion that Triton, a nominally Australian company was making them. Well, I've been doing a bit of research, and it turns out it is not available here yet. I spoke to their importers who told me that the Australian release (we have 240Volt) is scheduled for around November this year. They'd been concentrating on the much bigger US market while we had to wait for them to develop a reliable 240V version. We may have to wait a bit longer Albert.

I am feeling a combination of annoyed, disappointed,happy and excited about this - I've wanted one of these since I first joined the forum! On the downside I suspect the local version will be more expensive than it should be ...

6. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

So if you give this to someone it'd be giving a TOSS.....

7. tonefi

tonefi TDPRI Member

Odd, thought I'd linked to the Australian site. They are available in the UK which has a similar voltage, would've thought that designing a different plug wouldn't have been too difficult!

Tony.

8. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Yeah, good point, I'd forgotten you guys were on the same voltage. I think it's just that they figured - like with the US, that it's a way bigger market and they're working their way down to little ol' Australia. Globalisation aye :mad:

9. betocool

Thanks. Very. Much. For. Your. Replies. !.

That really had me scratching my head for a long time. Geez almighty, and we can't buy one here in Oz? What the heck?

Will have to look into a spindle sander in the meantime... but the ROSS (yay!) seems the way to go.

Cheers,

Albert

10. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

The Ridgid (brand) oscillating spindle sander has a feature that allows you to swap out the belt sander for spindles of different diameters. Both are exceptionally useful. it's not an industrial quality tool, but it has plenty of DIY fans (myself included).

If budget were a concern you can do almost as much with an oscillating spindle sander that's generally smaller because it doesn't have the belt option, and they're cheaper because there are more of them out there from different manufacturers.

Ridgid is the house brand for Home Depot tools (they bought the rights from an actual tool company by that name, I believe it was a plumbing wrench maker in Canada). I would not be surprised if the overseas source of those power tools sells them with a different color and brand label in other markets like yours.

Oh and please make sure you hook up the shop vacuum every time you turn that thing on -- especially for making nuts and saddles or else you'll get complaints about the bone dust smell (don't ask me know I know that).

ModerneGuy and eallen like this.
  11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I opted to get separate spindle sander (WEN) and 4" belt sander (P-C). Total cost around $250, and I like the setup a lot better.

ModerneGuy likes this.
  12. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hey BC I have a Sheppach brand Rotating Oscillating Spindle Sander I bought from a local Carbatec re seller some years ago.
    It's very handy and useful with about six different spindle diameters. I buy the replacement sanding tubes from "The Sandpaper Man" for reasonable money. I have a portable belt sander which I drop onto a jig I made to make an upright belt sander so no change-over time from ROSS to belt sander, plus get the added bonus of a hand held belt sander.

Your local Carbatec will have them.

DC

betocool likes this.
  13. betocool

Yep, I saw carbatec has them online, for not too much money. I suppose that's next on my useful tools to get.

Cheers,

Albert

14. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Dave, I have, on many occasions, considered a spindle sander like the one you mention, but have been hanging out for a ROSS or similar to hit the local market for so long I think it should hang in there a little longer. I do like your idea re the belt sander though - and see the advantages. I might have to consider this. Cheers.

15. Davecam48

Hey BC This was my solution to the no belt sander problem. The sander itself came from Super Cheap Auto for around $45 and the frame from scraps. Works like a dream with no changing from ROSS to Belt wasted time. http://www.tdpri.com/threads/first.597811/

DC

16. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I also have the Sheppach Spindle sander. Works great.

Like Dave I also have a seperate belt sander, mine is a bench mount and has a disc sander in front. Also really handy tool.

Both Sheppach and also available from Machinery House that I think you have over there. The belt sander is also rebranded as Ryobi at Bunnings.

17. Davecam48

I have one of those as well M.K. but the belt sander is flat not vertical which makes it harder to judge an edge than a vertical belt. The disk sander is brilliant though, and the dust extraction great like the ROSS I have.

DC

18. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

19. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

20. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.