So what do YOU do to stand out from the other guitar players in your scene?

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
“So what do YOU do to stand out from the other guitar players in your scene?”

Easy…I dress the way I want to, and don’t commit any unnatural acts such as shaving or haircuts. As a result, I wind up looking like this…
1648261582537.png
...or this...
1648261605750.png
...or this...
1648261622824.png

Seriously, I’ve yet to meet another guitarist or musician in the area that goes for either the “Uncle Si Robertson with a tele” or “Uncle Sam…the later years” or "Larry Claus" looks. It may be courageous, or just poor taste, but I’ve pretty much cornered the market on being me.

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
I primarily play with my church's praise team, which is composed of two acoustic guitars, drums, bass, and my electric. So pretty much anything I do stands out. The challenge, for me, is to try to blend in with all that acoustic rythem. I don't use any effects other than my Vibrolux's reverb and tremelo, so as not to go too "rock & roll" on them.

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I fly under the radar compared to most of the guitarists in my area, I don't play as fast as any of them and I'm probably not as handsome as any of them.

But when they need a solid player to sub in, I do that. I try to be reliable and prepared and bring value to whatever band I'm playing with. It's worked so far.

- D

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't stand out. I play sort of a country-ish music so maybe that is a little plus.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
Just moved cross country. Near future I'll have a whole new crowd to play with. I guess I'll stand out because I'll be the new kid in town. (Disclaimer: I do not know any Eagles tunes.)

I'll try to find common ground with some players and maybe get a Dead cover band off the ground. Not sure there are many Deadheads around these parts. Guess I'll find out.

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a strat and a Tele plus a Princeton and a boss so I can get the sound you need. Dire Straits, police, etc. I'm not remarkable but I can get he sound of a song imitated well.

WelhavenTW

Tele-Meister
After the last gig two weeks ago, a guy came up to me and said he found my playing style «very entertaining and fun to watch». No idea what I’m doing, but happy to entertain.