So what do YOU do to stand out from the other guitar players in your scene?

ScottJPatrick

Friend of Leo's
Does playing a Flying V on the acoustic stage at a wee festival count?

1648233808502.jpeg

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Well, to make a lasting impression, means that you have to do something differently from the others.

In my own case I noticed that every band in my local scene has a guitarist using a Fuzz pedal and that chainsaw tone is everywhere.

So to stand out, I'm using a Mooer "Solo" as in "Soldano" pedal for moderate distortion and an Ibanez stereo Chorus (eighties pedal) and Mooer Analog Delay to fatten the thing up. So far it works because I DO sound like myself and nobody else.
Ain't nobody got time for that. I just worry about what I'm doing.

Mikecito

Tele-Meister
Less notes, more melody, and bigger delays. I try to keep Summers, Gilmore, Edge and Marr as my spirit animals. I don't try to complete with the bloozy jam band cats.
Will occasionally bust out in an 80's shreaddy pentatonic interlude and use the trem bar without any shame or remorse.

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
Back when I was in a scene I was the only cat who could fingerpick. Everyone else had started with rock right away but I had started out With Mississippi John Hurt, John Renbourn, Gordon Lightfoot and John Fahey. I taught a lot of people how to do it.
Yes! I was taught in the style of Chet Atkins and Merle Travis. First 4 or 5 years I played guitar, the only picks I owned were thumb picks.

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
To stand out? Nothing, I'm just me. Was enough though, at least back in the day, for playing sessions and gigs and getting paid for it. Just a meat and tatties rock guy though, no Lukather and not even near :D

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I don't...I try to blend in with the band I am with at the time. I have no need to be the frontman.

Jackroadkill

Tele-Holic
Come on, folks, to be perfectly real, nobody here is going to stand out amongst their peers by claiming they have their own style, their own sound, their own techniques... Unless Hendrix is posting on this thread, those lines above are just a load of hogwash. You are not Hendrix. You are not standing out based on what and how you play.

So how does one stand out? I'll tell you: Guitar you play, clothes, haircut, shoes, amp, cool strap, new capo, picks you use, no pedals, worn out Levis, a NEW MODEL ARMY t-shirt (the once hip Joy Division and Ramones t-shirts are now not hip as they are now worn by fourth grade kids)...... Those are the ways you stand out.

Wear one of these...

View attachment 965887

Play one of these:

View attachment 965888

You'll stand out.
Space, is that you?

dspellman1

Tele-Meister
Well, to make a lasting impression, means that you have to do something differently from the others.

I'm on time. Seriously, reliability counts when a lot of others simply aren't. Or when they show up missing something they obviously need. Or when they show up in no condition to be in public, much less on a paying job.

Versatility counts. I grew up with giant fake books sitting on my Hammond at Legion Hall wedding receptions. I can sight read, I can transpose and orchestrate, and with a Variax and a Helix, I can usually find something like the right sound.

Technique and ability counts more than loud, though Sid Vicious got his job (and did well at it) with neither.

Being unflappable can count. Making good decisions can count. Living up to a good reputation can count.

Wildcard_35

Tele-Holic
I wear an ape suit on stage and have a strategically cut hole in the seat where it looks like I'm cramming peanuts...into a certain area...right after a guitar solo.

Seriously, though, I don't know if I have a style or not, but my buddies and a few other people like to hear me play so I do. Nobody but the internet is going to remember this stuff in a hundred years, so I just try to have a good time playing.