So what do YOU do to stand out from the other guitar players in your scene?

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Well, to make a lasting impression, means that you have to do something differently from the others.

In my own case I noticed that every band in my local scene has a guitarist using a Fuzz pedal and that chainsaw tone is everywhere.

So to stand out, I'm using a Mooer "Solo" as in "Soldano" pedal for moderate distortion and an Ibanez stereo Chorus (eighties pedal) and Mooer Analog Delay to fatten the thing up. So far it works because I DO sound like myself and nobody else.

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
Play Rickenbackers.

1648226917808.png

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
I just do me. I'm me, and no one else is.

To be a bit less philosophical, I suppose I can say that I've developed my own style and feel over decades, and so I have my own sound. An objective observer would hopefully say that I play what is needed to support the song, and am good at both rhythm and lead. Hopefully they would also say that I lean towards tones that are appropriate, classic, and sit well in the mix.

With respect to lead playing I try to make it melodic, musical, and synergistic with the whole song. Not just a bunch of wheedly wheedly thrown on top of just about any song. Tricks to doing this are playing the changes, often incorporating variations on the vocal melody, and trying to come up with something that has a clear beginning, middle, and end.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I start with original material, and I play like me. Driving rhythm interspersed with Travis picked atmospheric segments that come back to hammer the listener. I am working that guitar and amp. Hard.
Be afraid.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Okay whatever group I happened to be in, and there are three, we all play different cover music styles

And admittedly it may be the same pool of music that a lot of other people play, so my emphasis is to put together a fantastic sounding band with good vocals.
I try to sing really well, and folks seem to like it.
I kind of morphed over the years ( many), from a lead guitar player, that is now a singer who plays decent guitar. Just saying there is a balance there...

Everyone I play with are very good musicians
at their respective instruments and we like to show that off, but it's all about a band sound and delivery of a good song; doesn't matter what it is.

Edit- all above was edited to make sense !

Last edited:

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Well I don't do anything really, and I definitely don't stand out!
Focusing on our originals a lot more than others is one thing I guess, but then there's so many listeners that just want to hear the same ol' faves they know.

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
Come on, folks, to be perfectly real, nobody here is going to stand out amongst their peers by claiming they have their own style, their own sound, their own techniques... Unless Hendrix is posting on this thread, those lines above are just a load of hogwash. You are not Hendrix. You are not standing out based on what and how you play.

So how does one stand out? I'll tell you: Guitar you play, clothes, haircut, shoes, amp, cool strap, new capo, picks you use, no pedals, worn out Levis, a NEW MODEL ARMY t-shirt (the once hip Joy Division and Ramones t-shirts are now not hip as they are now worn by fourth grade kids)...... Those are the ways you stand out.

Wear one of these...

1648230855286.png

Play one of these:

1648230975018.png

You'll stand out.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I use a B bender to mimic a pedal steel.
I don’t use it all the time, and I don’t play B bender “licks”.
When I split solos, I use the bender for the back half of the solo, usually.
I also know a bunch of songs, and their signature intro, solo, and outros.
Both guitar and pedal steel parts.
It’s kept me employed, and employable.