So we can expect a rosewood fretboards any soon ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoCkstAr256, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

Every guitar I have is rosewood with the exception of one that is Mia Ferrell (LOL) I love Rosewood

2. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

beautiful guitar!

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  3. claes

claes Tele-Holic

I prefere other woods than plastic. I love flamed maple but I only know it from my jumbo. i rather have sapele, pau, walnut then plastic.
    teles are already sustainable with maple necks...

4. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

I have a Gibson Midtown Custom with the Richlite fingerboard. Plays like ebony. But I also love rosewood. Would love to have a rosewood Tele or Start.

5. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

It actually plays extremely well. I saw your post after I posted my comment above. I have it on a Gibson Midtown. Love it. I think people think it is cheap.

6. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

Don't really get your post. My 2016 Les Paul and 2018 ES-335 have rosewood boards. My 2016 Breedlove Premier Dread has rosewood back and sides. They never stopped using rosewood. It was just a bit more restrictive before.

7. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

Fender American Performers Professionals, Originals, and Custom Shop have Rosewood fretboards.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Rosewood trees were just over exploited for various craftsman desires, not just guitar fretboards. It is too bad, because I think it could be cultivated like maple is and maybe it will be during it's comeback trail. Ebony is enduring the same issue. "Over exploited" is sort of a misnomer though. As the world population grows, so does the demand for just about everything. Rosewood trade restrictions is just the warning shot across the bow of what is happening with lots of natural resources.

JuneauMike likes this.
  9. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Thank you it is a green guitar in that it needs to be played it sounds immature but it is loud and very articulate it will get warmer as I play it but I love it

11. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I don't see any reason why rosewood is superior. People just think it's the best because that's what they're used to hearing.

I have 5 or 6 guitars with rosewood fretboards or something that looks like rosewood, and I wouldn't know the difference. They all look and feel slightly different. Different colours. Don't care.

And if it helps the environment I'll play guitars made from plastic, packing crates - anything. I think we all think too much about stuff that doesn't matter very much.

12. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

Nice, Im down here at VA beach. Have to stop up there in wine country sometime and hear that beautiful instrument.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

Just being honest right now I'm using my Martin Dreadnought as I don't have a pick up for the Blue Ridge yet eventually I will flip flop back play the Blue Ridge on gig Martin at home
    Sorry for the voice activation but we just did get in a whole bunch of gigs Winery brew pub for this year yay

14. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

Leaving aside the issue of sustainable tropical wood use for fretboards, there are some nice domestic alternatives.

* Persimmon - Also known as American Ebony - a very hard wood that used to be used for golf club heads. It's not dark like ebony but can be dyed black if you don't like its natural look.
    * Black Locust - Another very hard domestic wood, often used for fence posts. Again, it usually has a lighter color, but can be dyed. I actually have a Locust fretboard that I plan to use for a project some day.
    * Osage Orange - A hardwood that is also used for guitar back/sides. Would probably make a good fretboard too.

Maple is already in use, and I think Walnut has been used in the past (though I think it's too soft for fretboards). The main issue with all these alternative woods is obtaining pieces that are straight grained and warp-free. However, that's usually not a problem with fretboards as you only need a piece that is 1/4" x 3" x 18".

Finally, I'm a big believer is repurposing hardwoods from old furniture for use in luthiery. You may, for example, find an old picture frame made of a tropical hardwood that is perfect for a fretboard, bridges, bridge plates, and headstock overlays. I have some BRW that used to be part of a frame for an award from decades ago. Really nice material to work with!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  15. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

Congrats on the gigs.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  16. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I personally love Rosewood bec of the look and feel of the grain. The blacker the better. Ive never seen Pau Ferro the lesser wood, when in fact its exotic.

but then again, I almost never buy new guitars anymore and all the used guitars are all rosewood. And if I ever buy a new one, i wont have an issue if it is Pau Ferro, Rosewood, Ebony or even dyed maple to look black. Lol.

JuneauMike likes this.
  17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That's right. We might get to pick over scraps, once this dominant use has been satisfied. Only if the entire Chinese economy falls back, will we have much to say about what is available or not available. And once the Chinese market "matures", then someone else (India, Vietnam, Persian Gulf) will pour it on with new levels of demand.

We're just piddling around the rim, when it comes to these tropical wood markets. Sometimes I worry that USA and Euro consumers of tropical wood for guitars, will switch to temperate forests for their wood needs, forget about the rain forests, and then one day we will hear that "Other folks" have wiped out every tree in these forests. Every thing in these used to be forests.

Obsessed likes this.
  18. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

The fingerboard is such an inconsequential part of the sound, I have a hard time caring. Richlite, ebony, roasted maple, whatever.

JuneauMike likes this.
  19. Chiogtr4x

Thanks! my bass partner ( who does the booking, I suck!) got us 16 date (!) just yesterday at 3 venues in what I call ' rural' Northern Virginia - wow!

Sorry for derail!

20. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I think rosewood on Mexico made Fender product, is a thing of the past.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.