So we can expect a rosewood fretboards any soon ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoCkstAr256, Jan 24, 2020.

1. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

So we can expect a rosewood fretboards any soon ?

https://guitar.com/features/what-do...ons-on-rosewood-mean-for-the-guitar-industry/

I like Wenge, Pau ferro etc but rosewood looks best as everyone knowns. Has this smooth feel and quality look, anyone think it will be back this year? Only Brazilian rosewood is restricted as far as i known? Any more informations about it ? It got a bit quiet after 2020. I do want strat with rosewood and white colour. It can be Vintera ot Player since i have never owned Fender strat, just Squier strats. Never been a strat guy until tried one, always did dig the look and sound . Although, Telecaster is still my favourite and it iwll never change i guess

https://www.gearnews.com/cites-lifts-rosewood-ban-for-guitars-and-other-musical-instruments/

On another note, it will be quite weird seeing MX20xxxxx and US20xxxxx serial numbers after decade of 10s , haha

Fendereedo likes this.
  2. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I actually think either maple or ebony look best personally.

3. RoCkstAr256

Im biggest fan of Maple but would not mind one guitar with rosewood or pau ferro

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I hope not.

The Amazon is burning, as are all the other rain forests.

Players need to demand builders use non-exotic lumber in their build. Faster growing and more local. Show off those guitar building skills, or is the factory so week in talent they need to rely on magical wood?

5. RoCkstAr256

Oh well this is some good point

artdecade likes this.
  6. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure PINE is the best option for guitar, especially a fretboard ;)
    Half kidding... poplar, spruce, maple, etc... they are all abundant where I am.

Sadly, there is no good reasons for any shortages. Sustainable forest management is great for a forest (keeps them healthy, and better protected from fire), great for business and therefore great for a country. There are not a lot of countries in this world that take care of their forests ... and THAT is the heart of this problem.

7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Guitar below ( an import Blueridge 000 style) is all solid wood.
    Back, sides, fretboard and bridge are Pau Ferro ( aka Santos)
    Beautiful, and great volume and tone.
    20190606_082250.jpg 20190606_081953.jpg

8. RoCkstAr256

I have to admit, fretboard looks so cool here

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  9. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

I've got plenty of rosewood fretboards already thanks :)

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Very well could be, Colo Springs E, but aesthetics is only one of several factors affecting user choice. Fretboard wood also affects tone and maintenance requirements. ;)

11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

The ( sad ) truth is Blueridge only did this because they had to go to Santos ( a few years back only) had to as I think Indian RW was restricted or not allowed

Now that this has changed back ( EI RW OK now, right? Not sure if I'm correct here)
    Blueridge may in the future go back to Rosewood on these models, no idea

And a little bit of Blueridge owner snobbery exists, it seems ( those of us who actually like BR guitars) from those that own the same D-28, 000-28 style ( like mine) etc., but earlier years when they were Indian RW vs. ' inferior' Santos, like mine.
    Such is life, I dig my guitar, as the parts all came together.

12. reactor99

reactor99 TDPRI Member

Taylor, Kiesel, and probably some other folks offer ebony boards with scattered brown streaks -- this wood was formerly discarded for not being pure black. I have one, it feels like "normal" ebony and I actually think it looks great. Much more efficient use of the tree

13. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

There are so many types of wood that can be used for making electric guitars, big companies only use about 10.

Off the top of my head is cherry, but there are many others.

But to get back to the topic, Brazilian rosewood isn't usually used recently for guitars. Usually African or SE Asian woods are used. Except for pau ferro, which is Brazilian.

Not that there shouldn't be a case made about cutting down African and Asian rainforests, as you have said.

14. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Of course there is no excuse for illegal logging but...

https://www.wri.org/blog/2016/10/building-sustainable-guitar-rosewood

"Today, the rosewood on guitars is by-and-large Indian rosewood (Dalbergia latifolia) that is sold by a handful of companies at state-sponsored auctions. The trees are grown as shade trees on coffee, tea, and ginger plantations and are largely government managed."

and...

"To be clear, very little of the rosewood cut in the world goes towards guitars. Most is destined for China to be used in luxury furniture."

15. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Hopefully, the smart farmers harvest the rosewood before clearing their land to turn into grazing land/ feed fields... It's a shame to let it go up in smoke.

BR saddles and fretboards are sexy...

JuneauMike likes this.
  16. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Why hasn’t richlite been more widely used?

bgmacaw, Electric Warrior and Jakedog like this.
  17. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Do you have any idea how hard it is to grow richlite? Don't get me started on harvesting practices! :p

JuneauMike, moosie and bsman like this.
  18. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Because guitarists have very little sense of adventure, abhor change, and are generally speaking (though there are exceptions) staunch traditionalists.

They don’t want to try anything new. They will convince themselves that they can hear the undetectable differences between between nickel and gold plated tuning machines if it gives them an excuse to either buy what they want, or complain about something.

“I’m not buying that, I want real wood!”.

Why? If it works as well, sounds as good, looks ok, and plays fine, who really cares? I honestly couldn’t give a handful of gerbil turds what my guitars are made out of, as long as they sound and work right, and look cool.

Looking cool isn’t even at the top of the list, as I can’t see the fretboard when I’m playing anyhow.

bgmacaw, Snfoilhat and USian Pie like this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Conservative guitar players?

20. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

Because people find out it's richlite. I remember a Martin off of the shelf, must have been in the $1500 range or so. Can't remember the model. I thought "god, this thing feels and plays great." Totally thought that it was ebony. I googled when I got home. Sure enough, richlite board. Then I was like, "hmmm," trying to think of reasons it couldn't have been that good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.