So this must be one of the smallest and cheapest tube amps around

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by hemingway, Jun 27, 2019.

1. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

2. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

No casters on it.

How am I suppose to move it? :p

Geo, Axis29 and hemingway like this.
  3. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

I've heard a few things about reliability issues.

4. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

5. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

6. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

7. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I bought the head version of it. Don't bother. Run away. Don't do it. Save your cash. Ignore it. Move on.
    It's a hybrid, which, in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing if implemented correctly. This isn't a good example of the breed.

Two op-amps in the signal path. Now, I -like- op-amps. Marvellous little workers in the audio world. How many glorious pedals use them?. Here, they're wasted. I can imagine their silicon tears.
    Sonically, it's poor on the 'clean' channel. Sure, you can coax a noise from it, but it isn't a pleasing one. Brittle, thin, weak sounding. Engage the 'drive' and you'd half expect something akin to a Tubescreamer. You'd be disappointed. Frankly, the current generation of Orange, Blackstar, Fender and Laney solid state amps leave it in the dust. Valve warmth is noticeable by its abscence. It's a brittle, harsh, thin, reedy sound that somehow manages to be muffled at the same time. Yuck.

Changing the valves does nothing.

The chassis is reusable. The cabinetry isn't too bad. The blue tolex-a-like is thin, and poorly applied, but from a distance, it'll do.

The transformers are weedy and cheap. Mine has insulation damage from new, which doesn't inspire confidence. Half the caps on mine look like pulls from other equipment. There's gloop stains in odd places!.

The resistors etc have been poorly placed and are at all manner of wonkiness. Build quality?, they've heard of it. In passing. It's poorly built, cheap, nasty, low powered rubbish

The Joyo/Fame JTA-5 leaves it for dead for not much more. The Kong-5 is a rebadged E-Wave DG-5, which is a much better built, much better sounding amp altogether ( I really rate my E-Wave as a fine sounding amp. The Kong adds power reduction and reverb ). The Laney Cub 8 wouldn't wipe its botty on it for fear of the sKaNk being contagious.

I got mine cheap, intending to use the cabinet, chassis and transformers for other purposes. Even at a substantial markdown, I was fleeced.

This is about as good as it gets.

Powerful?, there's a plate on the rear that rates it at a whole 2 Watts!. It's loud, but not pleasant.

I used to know someone who worked there. I asked in passing about the valve amps and was told, in no uncertain terms to buy something, anything else. Poor sounding, unreliable, potentially dangerous but with sufficient margin and cheap enough to just about pass muster. The Subzero branded solid state are a better bet, and their new range is quite good.

The 1x10" cab is very good though.

Pass them by. One of two Bugera amps I tried and returned same day. Thank you Amazon for having such an easy returns process. It's cute, but that's where it stops.

hemingway, bender66 and 8barlouie like this.
  8. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

And there you have it...

9. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

There are cheaper, also smaller. I was thinking those little grey Wangs heads are a lot smaller.

tubelectron likes this.
  10. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

• Dimensions: W 363mm x H 294mm x D 205mm (14.3" x 11.6" x 8")
    Beaten :D :

[​IMG]

8" / 6L6 / 12AX7 / 8" / 8W / reverb.

[​IMG]

But OK, mine is a one of a kind, not for sale... :oops:

-tbln

triviani and hemingway like this.
  11. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

AFAIK, SubZero is the same company that makes Rogue amps and another brand that sounds like BadCat but for the life of me I can't remember right now. Or at least they appear to come from the same factory. I have a Rogue V15g solid state "vintage tweed" amp. I wouldn't call it garbage - it's actually not bad if you're looking for a small, underpowered amp with a 6-inch speaker that you can't dial the midrange out of no matter what, you have the good sense never to switch to the dirty channel, and you don't want to spend more than $50. It's a nice-looking amp, very portable, and I've gotten $45 worth of fun out of it. I just wouldn't expect anything from this company to be very versatile.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Paul in Colorado and hemingway like this.
  12. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Belcat. They rebrand a lot of their products for dealers/distributors in different markets. Avoid the valve based products like you'd avoid eating a dung sandwich without the bread.

The little tweed covered things look like they'd be good for a valve conversion. the V15 is about the right size for a roomy head unit, and they're cheap enough second hand.

Silverface and The Angle like this.
  13. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

They can't seem to decide if it has an EL34 or EL84 in it for one thing!
    Buy a 15w Monoprice Stage Right for $120 US instead.

hemingway likes this.
  14. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

So he can spend $30 to $50 more for a 120 to 240V transformer? And probably $100 for the shipping?

15. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah! That's your "dues" for living over there! haha. Surprising to me that the Chinese don't sell to you there though. What the heck are you doing up, isn't it your bedtime?

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  16. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

17. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

Cheap amps like this give cheep tube amps a bad name.

hemingway likes this.
  18. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

The top three reviews also look like exactly the sort of generic love you get from automated review services. They could appear as reviews for anything sold online.

19. triviani

triviani Tele-Meister

That’s beautiful! But the seller seems to not to be selling anything. From the website:

Moreover, this website is not intended for commercial purposes : we have nothing to sell, we do not sell nothing ! These amps , FXs and other devices are built for the fun, for the tone, and nothing more...”

tubelectron likes this.
  20. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

Thanks & True - I'm pleased that you noticed and understood my aims, @triviani :cool::)

I had to mention this for two reasons :

1 - cut short any attempt to get into trouble or argument from jealous or procedural people.

I have also filed / registered my name for this reason.

2 - be clear about the purpose of my achievements: it's not advertising for a for-profit company.

I have done this for the few forums where I may post pictures of my releases.

That said, I should update my little website : many links are dead... :oops:

-tbln

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.