So This Is What It Feels Like . . .

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by colchar, May 27, 2021.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What really happens when you smoke from a "triggered" event, is you will start manufacturing "triggers."

2. BamaSurf

BamaSurf TDPRI Member

I stopped smoking Jan 6 1997.....still use toothpicks to help stay quit...if you have an urge to smoke....DON'T....non smokers do not smoke.

68Telebass, drlucky and colchar like this.
  3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I'm smoke free for 40 years. The first thing I noticed was that my wife wasn't yelling at me for smoking in the bathroom and leaving windows open. But seriously...

My motivation to quit was that I got sick. It must have been food poisoning but it felt like something that could kill me. It was coming out of every orifice in colors. Ugly colors. I couldn't stop pushing toxins out of my body long enough to smoke more of them in... and it dawned on me.

Keep smoking and this is how you'll leave this world. Chemo does this very same thing to people. I quit right then and there. And it was funny that once my mind was made up to quit, I had no withdrawl symptoms. I simply didn't smoke any more.

My mom died of a smoking related cancer in 1996. She spent the last week of her life on home hospice with what was let go of as her body shut itself down coming out of every orifice. The hospice nurse spent that last week cleaning her so she didn't get bed sores and keeping her on her side so she didn't drown herself.

I'm 71. My health isn't perfect but what's wrong is manageable. I don't believe how prescient that experience with food poisoning was 40 years ago and I'm thankful beyond measure that I was able to throw a half smoked pack away and never open another.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  4. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Apparently it is more addictive than heroin, not that I'd know how addictive that is though.

68Telebass, aging_rocker and Alamo like this.
  5. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

$12 per pack here in Ontario.

68Telebass likes this.
  6. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Then I'm going to save on gas because driving was a sure fire trigger for me.

68Telebass likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

A woman can't be a little bit pregnant, they either are, or they are not. That's the same for a substance abuser, you either do or you don't. There is no try. Every time I took that little drink "to settle my nerves" I went back to drinking. Every time I took that one smoke to "settle my nerves" I want back to smoking. Having "just that one" is the whiner in you trying to take control. Keep him at bay, and you live.

8. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Some/most folks are all or nothing. I've had a few cigarettes over the 20 or so years since I quit; for me, it's easier/kinder self-talk to think I'm not a complete effup if I have a moment of weakness.

But... like an alcoholic can't have one drink w/o setting their life down that path again, a truly addicted smoker probably can't have one cigarette without going back to doing it as a addictive/compulsive habit. That's not everyone though.

Good on ya anyhow OP. Your lungs are already healing and they'll get better by leaps and bounds as the weeks and months start stacking up.

colchar likes this.
  9. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yeah, I'm one drink away from a fifth a day. Any drink nearly always leads to escalation. There have been a couple of rare times when I've slipped up and had a few beers or a half a pint in a single evening, and then managed to maintain sobriety for weeks or months afterwards. Usually though, within a week or two, I'm right back to square one, and need medication or even hospitalization to quit.

I don't like dwelling on thoughts of never drinking again, or the opposite, like maybe being able to have a drink again one day. That's not helpful. It's today that I need to focused on. It's prioritizing sobriety that I need to be concerned with, and not forgetting the struggle and the harm. It IS helpful to write the reasons why you shouldn't/can't down on a card, and put it in your wallet.

10. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Apparently the chart is accurate. I thought the same as you, and it doesn't seem to make sense if comparing a 20 year smoker to a 40 year smoker, but this chart is based on a university study (UNC if I remember correctly), so they would have taken things like that into account.

11. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

Sage advice. I tried several times to quit cold turkey and it never took. What did the trick was about a year of 2 or 3 cigarettes a day. After awhile it was like “jeez these are really terrible why am I doing this??” and I was finally done!

68Telebass likes this.
  12. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

I was very lucky. Many of my friends smoked in college. At a party one day a friend handed me one as he was getting one for himself. I figured, why not. Luckily, fate would intervene and a girl at the party accidentally sprayed mace while I was taking my first puff. That is now the feeling that I associate with smoking. Never had the urge since and I have no idea how one can enjoy it.

Lesson of the story- Have someone mace you every time that you light up a smoke, and you will probably quit pretty quickly. :lol:

notroHnhoJ, 68Telebass and colchar like this.
  13. skradlee

skradlee Tele-Meister

I am approaching 4yrs in July and it didn't take long to stop drinking almost entirely as well. I had no intentions of it, but any time I had anything to drink, the cigarette cravings were so bad that it took all of the enjoyment out of it. I did cold turkey myself and I was one cranky SOB for a good long while after that.

P Thought likes this.
  14. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

3 months since I quit, still feel old bonds tugging, but my will will win.

P Thought, CajunJ and colchar like this.
  15. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

The thought that I could never smoke again always got to me in the past, like I was being deprived of something. I caught myself thinking like that a couple of times over the last few days, but pushed those thoughts out.

All I know is that I haven't smoked in four days, and am not smoking right now nor do I plan to.

Fixcinater and Phrygian77 like this.
  16. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I tried the cut down method myself. A doctor once told me it was useless as you simply become a more efficient smoker (ie. inhale more deeply and schedule smoking so that you constantly have nicotine in your body).

17. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Congrats!

I can't even think of having a beer right now! I only buy British beer (family is Scottish, but I grew up in Canada) and stocked up two weeks ago. And last Friday was my birthday so my brother gave me a mixed 24 of my favourites.

Not a chance in hell I can have one right now though.

18. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Awesome!

19. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

Good for you!

Quitting was horrible for me. Quitting Copenhagen was worse that quitting cigarettes. I am so glad I did and thank God my cravings have mostly subsided after all these years.

colchar likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

One time I mentioned to a guy that I knew that I had quit drinking. He immediately launched on a mini rant about how I needed AA, and that he would sponsor me. I told him no thanks I had been to one of their meetings and it wasn't for me. He asked how long I'd been off the booze, I said ten years. He said, you haven't quit, you're just a dry drunk. I'm still a dry drunk fourteen years later.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.