So This Is What It Feels Like . . .

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by colchar, May 27, 2021.

1. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

. . . to be a non-smoker eh?

After 35 years (give or take a year) of smoking basically a pack a day, I quit a few days ago. I'd wanted to for a while, but hadn't planned to that day. I just realized as evening approached that I hadn't smoked at all that day so decided not to. And I haven't since.

Best part about it is that I feel fine.

2. edvard

edvard Friend of Leo's

Oooh, wait 'til you start tasting food, I mean REALLY TASTING food again. And no longer feeling cold on a mildly breezy day. And, and...
    Day 3 is when nicotine withdrawal starts kicking in; hang in there!!

[​IMG]

3. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Today was day three.

I had long heard that it was the toughest, but I breezed through it. For me day two was tougher.

4. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

You're never not going to want to smoke again. My suggestion is if the urge comes, just smoke. If you're determined, the gaps between urges will get wider. Then you'll find other things to do instead.

Whatever you do, DO NOT try vaping to "help quit". It might be cheaper, it might make it easier, but you'll be somebody who vapes.

Nobody wants that.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've been quit since 1988. I had quit for periods up to six months or so before that and always went back. The difference between the short term, and long term quitting, NEVER take another drag on a cigarette. If you smoke one, you're probably back on them. It takes a while, but eventually you don't miss them at all. Good luck to you, since you're doing so well, you CAN do it, if you just don't smoke.

6. edvard

edvard Friend of Leo's

Well then, that just makes you a little different than the average is all, but hot damn, keep it up!!

I haven't smoked in 26 years and I don't miss it one bit, but I can't say it was easy.

7. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Afflicted

^^^^THIS^^^^
    I “quit” several times before I figured this out. If you’re a non-smoker, you don’t smoke. Ever.

8. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Only 17 months for me, but feels great- I quit cold turkey. I’ve done it that way before, but....

As mentioned- don’t take even one puff, or bum “just one” if you get stressed out. You will certainly become a smoker again at that moment and have to start quitting all over again.

You have to pass through all the triggering events a few times before it begins to truly stick!

Hang in there- and keep the thread going! :cool:

9. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I commend you guys that have been able to quit

At this point I’ve smoked half my life, I’ve Been able to stop drinking after a couple years of dependency but haven’t nipped tobacco in the bud yet

Edit: I don’t think that chart above accounts for time smoked

There’s no way if you smoked for 50 years that in 20 your back to normal and your cancer risk is the same as everyone else?

Does that mean if you end up with cancer/disease after those 20 years that you were going to get it anyway?

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    colchar likes this.
  10. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

Finally, after 40 years I quit. I was looking for an excuse a long time ago, but jest kept on doing it. It's been 7 months and I do not miss it one bit. If you can make it for three weeks, it is far enough, out of your system, to go the distance. If you are not a beer drinker, you stand a pretty good chance. If you are, it is wise to give up drinking until you get totally over cigarettes. Hanging with you....right now....and NOT doing it! It's tough. Don't cave.

11. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Hang in there

telestratosonic and colchar like this.
  12. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

do not let down your guard. it will be YEARS before you are truly free. you will crave a smoke off and on for years. the longer you go clean, the easier it will get. I smoked 30 years... nothin but mild, pure Camel straights, and Lucky Strike mostly... and Pall Mall, and Turkish Specials and other non filter butts. and now, I am closing in on 25 years of NO smokes. after I quit I felt the pangs for at least 3-4 years. my wife still can't quit. she has gone clean for 2, 3, even 6 months.... but back on 'em again. they are the most addictive drug ever

you have my support, and as the guy in Aliens (Ash) said.... you have my sympathies

and, hate to sound cruel, but nobody can help you. it's all on you.... from the inside

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

i used to smoke the ex-wife's, a couple a day.
    We saw a hypnotherapist and gave up in 1995 ( mid forties) .
    Now I hate the smell of cigarette smoke.
    Also, we could afford overseas holidays every two years.
    I live alone now but still have enough saved to see the whole globe saved.
    Good health to you Colchar.

14. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Not that it’s an excuse, maybe an explanation but....I’ve had people that specialize in addiction tell me that nicotine is on a whole other level as far as addictiveness

Deeve and colchar like this.
  15. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

16. Muadzin

Muadzin Tele-Meister

My parents used to smoke. My father went cold turkey and never picked up the habit again. My mother used all sorts of things, like acupuncture, but she had relapses for a long time. We often used to find cigarette butts hidden in the weirdest of places. Like hidden between clothes.

In the end it didn't help her because lung cancer still caught up with her. :(

17. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Holic

I third this! No smokes ever! It took me like six times to figure this out, last time was around 3yrs ago, i know I'm not a "I'll just have one" kinda guy. I've been clean since.

68Telebass, aging_rocker and colchar like this.
  18. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

I mistakenly self-diagnosed myself, after brief internet research, with lung cancer in late 1999. Turned out to be acid reflux, which was successfully treated, but it scared the s^^t out of me. That was enough to get me to finally quit for good on 12/31/1999.
    One tip I learned: Don't hang out with people who smoke if you're trying to quit.

T-Bone and colchar like this.
  19. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats! A big step, for sure. I smoked for 25 years & was able to quit with the patch. Best of luck, as the next 3 weeks are going to be difficult. In my case, it wasn't giving up cigarettes that was hardest, it was the lifestyle & break time change that took place alongside the absence of nicotine. And if you are a drinker, not smoking while inbibing will be a challenge, as well.

colchar likes this.
  20. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

And it is free/freeing. Congratulations.

getbent and Deeve like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.