So this is interesting.....Difference in Frets on American Pro II, Player and MIM Teles

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
This morning I went to guitar center to get some strings and while I was there I just happened to play a couple of MIM Tele and a Player Telecasters. Both were right-handed and I am a lefty so I had to play them upside down.

They both had maple fingerboards and I am pretty sure .09s on them. My point of this post is that I was amazed at how the good the neck felt, even upside down. The necks were both C shape, 9.5 radius and - from what the in-store luthier said (because the sales people at GC don't know much :rolleyes:) - had the vintage or maybe vintage jumbo frets on them? Not sure but, they felt way different than my vintage tall frets on my AP II Telecaster. Even in reverse they felt really good. In that past, when I had tried to play regular lefty Teles or Strats I was not a big fan of whatever frets were on the guitars because they felt to thin to me but, these were not the same.

Can anyone care to comment?

giogolf

Tele-Meister
The MIM Player has Medium Jumbo, the Vintera are just listed as Vintage, but doesnt specify if its Vintage Tall or Shallow

I would be surprised if the MIM you were playing had anything different than Medium/ Jumbo

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
Do you think too that the maple fingerboard had something to do with it? All my guitars are rosewood so I rarely play maple or lighter wood necks.

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
OP, I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for comment wise, but I just sold a MIM Player and bought an AM Pro 2. Player had a rounder C profile, almost a perfect half circle, whereas the AM Pro has a flatter C, almost heading into D territory. The Player had medium jumbo frets whereas the AM Pro has the narrow tall.

The Player was nice but I prefer my Am Pro in every single way. The only change that might make me happier is a 12" radius, but I love it the way it is too.