1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So they quit making the Vintera '60's Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Legbah, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

Unfortunately they're no longer available. They should make a Vintera version with the original body shape, 4 position switch, original bridge and matching headstock. This would be the best addition to the vintera line

Jakedog likes this.
  2. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, you and I would think it was real cool. I’m not sure we’d be enough to justify large scale manufacturing.

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  3. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Thank you.

I went for mid 1963 in the Fender timeline. Accuracy is as good as anything from Fender, because it IS Fender, other than the neck (which is Allparts Fender licensed, which is Hosco, which is Fender Japan).

For the OP, if he wants a 60s telecaster, either pay $3,000 for Custom Shop, or do this:

20200701_161941_HDR~2.jpg

Mojambo, mimmo and tintag27 like this.
  4. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Wow ! You are the only person i have ever heard say that, but i experienced that very thing. I have told this story before here but i will repeat it for you. In the early/mid 2000s i bought a MIJ strat. It was the vintage 60s style with alder body and rosewood board, not the budget basswood model. Exactly as you said, made very well but it sounded bad. To my ear it sounded so bad i'd call it flawed. I've owned a lot of strats and this was easily the worse. So i got to modding thinking either hardware or pickups would fix it. I replaced everything that could contribute to causing the bad tone including a known good trem and pickups. Still sounded horrible so i sold it.

Fast forward to 2014 and thinking that strat was no doubt a fluke, i bought a double bound 60s tele, also alder body rosewood 60s type. Beautiful guitar and again as you said made very well, and AGAIN as you said sounded bad! Not as bad as the strat but really bad, Again i replaced everything and again that didn't help and again i sold it. I have only owned about 12-15 teles because i only became a tele player since about 2010, but of all those the MIJ was easily the worse tele i've had and the only one i felt sounded too lousy to even consider keeping it.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the subject because living there i would think you have more insight on this. I tried and tried to figure it out and the only thing i could come up with is maybe japan sources alder from a place where it grows differently and doesn't sound good. That was the only thing i could think of because 1-i have had the USA import MIJ strats of the 90s with basswood bodies and they sounded fine. Not a big basswood fan so i wasn't to thrilled to death with them but they certainly didn't sound flawed. And 2-he alder was the only thing left through the process of elimination because as i said i replaced everything on both that could affect tone but the bodies and necks and the basswood ones i had had the same necks and neck wood. So the only thing left was the alder. I love alder strats and teles and never a problem with any USA or MIM or even MIC classic vibes.

Anyways, when you said they are well made yet don't sound good thats my experience exactly, yet u r the first person i have heard who feels the same, and living in japan I think you would know better then anyone here so please elaborate if you can. I'm sure not all MIJs are like this or they would no longer be in business, but maybe this is just quite common among them? I mean, i can see getting one really bad one, but 2 in a row would be a huge bit of bad luck or coincidence unless what you say is true.

5. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Interesting, they are forcing you to buy something instead asking you if you'd like one .

6. Chris H.

Chris H. Tele-Afflicted

Its not a case of they quit making a 60s model, the Vintera Series has never offered a non bigsby, non modified 60s version right from the start.

7. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Ah, sorry. I'm not up on the details of FENDER's offerings Gary

8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Fenders marketing and product line management is seriously IMO. The product line is bloated and confusing.

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. Legbah

Legbah TDPRI Member

Thanks to everyone for responding. I appreciate the feedback. I prefer the maple but kind of went into a deep dive of Jimmy Page. I'm building a partscaster with 12" radius rosewood fingerboard on a mahogany neck and a knotty pine body. Will post pics later. But the 7.25" is very comfortable to me. Anyway, just was curious about the 60's Vintera and looked and all of them were scrubbed from every website, even musician's friend?!?! They still list various models no longer available. I have a 50's Vintera and love it. Just the deletion of info on that guitar that was available a month ago is vary strange. :rolleyes:

10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Just informational, Fender changes a color or adds/deletes a case and calls it a model change. Been that way since the 60s. If your favorite model is discontinued that just means they are renaming it to bring back a popular color from a couple years ago.

11. Martian

Martian Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

That’s interesting because in my experience I’ve never owned (2 teles, 2 strats) or played a MIJ guitar that wasn’t really good. But I guess in the big scheme of things, who knows?

12. Martian

Interesting. I assume you’re talking about the MIJ guitars intended for the Japanese market and those are supposed to be superior to the ones made for export. Wow.

13. fender4life

It's not that the japanese market ones are superior, it's that the import ones of the 90s were lower end ones with basswood bodies and junk pickups and pots/switch that were ALSO available in the japanese market. So yeah, the imports were lesser versions of what they made but you can't just say the MIJ market models were better. It depends on which model.

Martian likes this.
  14. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I've never bought a MIJ Fender that didn't need decent electrics, and I've owned 2-3 in the past few years.

15. fender4life

Then you haven't owned the 90's imports that were fenders "classic series" (yes, i realize they weren't called that hence the quotes) for about 10 years before the MIM classics succeeded them.

Fendereedo likes this.
  16. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

...Or a Japanese Vintage series guitar from the 1980s: They had the same electrics and pickup as the MIA ones.

Personally I'd pick a MIJ over a MIM or MIA myself.

17. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

No, unfortunately not. I'm talking about the past 10 years at most.

18. Martian

Got it. I’ve just been lucky. Either that or my standards aren’t that high.
    (Seriously. I used to judge my guitars on whether they’d stay in tune for 40 minutes while I bashed away on them.)

Fendereedo likes this.
  19. fender4life

Well, could be i just got incredibly unlucky. But that just seemed so unlikely, then i see this guy's post saying basically what my experienced seemed like and it was a eyebrow raiser. So i don't know what the real truth it. I don't go by how many people like them because truth be told there are at least as many (if not more) players who's ears have a hard time telling great from mediocre than those who hear every detail. It shows in the reviews where no matter how lousy a piece of gear is there are always plenty of glowing reviews. So getting to the bottom of it is impossible. But to hear that guy's post was a real whoa moment for me. After all, having owned uncountable strats of every kind from partscasters to USA this and that to MIM and MIJ and squiers, then to buy 2 non export models from japan that were not the low end stuff and have both sound worse than anything i have ever owned is about as likely as tossing a coin in the air and having it land and stay on it's edge....twice. Still i won't say they are all like that, but makes you wonder if many are. I'm definately very gunshy about buying anything MIJ after that experience.

Martian likes this.
  20. WillJ

WillJ TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.