So There's An FZ-2 Available Locally...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by The_Doctor [EV], Mar 27, 2018.

1. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

...and I'm super tempted.

I just did a cursory look around, and they had it priced at $115 and that seems substantially lower than anyone's selling it for online...I'd have to trade a few other pedals to them if I wanted it...oh this is tough...

Any FZ-2 users? I'd be keeping around a Big Muff style fuzz to compliment it, should I go for it...MXR Sub Machine and Devi Ever Hyperion would have to go...

2. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Never tried an FZ-2, but my FZ-3 is head and shoulders above many fuzz pedals I've tried. Fuzz is difficult for me to narrow down in quantity as they are so different. Gotta have a couple. Good luck deciding.

3. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I bought the Behringer SuperFuzz for $25 on a lark. It's the same circuit as the FZ-2, sounds great, and it's been on my board for two years without issue. If nothing else, it's a great way to see if the sound is what you're looking for... or not.

Yes, fuzzes are cantankerous beasts.

blowtorch likes this.
  4. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Great pedal. That is also a good price based on what they sell for nowadays. I used one whenever I needed fuzz for a surf project.

5. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

There's only one FZ......
    frank-zappa.jpg

6. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

7. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

FZ-2...interesting. Your post made me break mine out after many years to give it a listen. I remember selling a FZ-3 because there was nothing it could do the FZ-2 couldn’t. Never owned the COSM FZ-5, not sure if there was even an FZ-4. Figured the FZ-2 would have some value, someday, can’t believe it’s pushing $200 now.

The Fuzz I setting is the classic fuzz, seems to have more midrange to my ears.

The Fuzz II setting is scooped, more of a Big Muff flavor.

Then there is a Gain Boost setting, this is kind of a cool surprise after all these years. I guess if you need something versatile and the Boss “buffer” in your pedal chain this might be a bonus.

At the price you are talking, might be worth a chance to see if you like it...could always flip it if not.

Good luck and let us know if you snag it!!!

IMG_4870.JPG

8. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

I thought it was basically a Univox Superfuzz clone, personally, and doing some digging around seems to suggest it is. https://www.coda-effects.com/2015/08/boss-hyper-fuzz-boss-fz2-wall-of-fuzz.html for some useful information. I always really liked that sort of Live at Leeds fuzztone, I think it'd be a nice change from the stuff I'm currently using.

And though I haven't gotten it yet, I almost did Friday. I'm not in a good financial place right now, so I did indeed try to even trade some equipment I had, and I would've done it if I'd just realized the Devi Ever Hyperion doesn't have a battery connect! Not having any 9-volt adapters onhand except my 1-Spot, the pawn shop wouldn't take it because they need to be sure whoever buys the thing can use it immediately. I can respect that. Just leaves me in a tough place.

I still want it, though, gimme a few days.

9. Brendan

Brendan Tele-Holic

I have one of these and will never sell it. Between the FZ2, a fuzz face and a Mahoney Acid Fuzz (fuzzrite clone), i have all the fuzz i need.

10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got that one. It does sound great. And I have more fuzzes than I can recall off the top of my head, including some Earthquaker Devices and Devi Ever stuff.

Some other great sounding cheap fuzzes are the mini Dano French Toast (my fave), and the Little Bear Mammoth Wooly.

Fearnot likes this.
  11. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

Thanks for sharing the Coda article on the FZ-2 Doctor, very cool! I did not realize the intent was to be a Univox Super Fuzz clone, good to know!

Fearnot likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.