So the new Frontier is a Tacoma?

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
I point to the buyers for the ridiculous oversizing that makes many of these vehicles a giant PITA for other drivers and exercise in vanity and ego for probably 2/3 of the owners who have no need of the size, capacity, etc. Go ahead and dump on me -- doesn't keep it from being true. They all look the same because that market all wants the same thing -- it's not exactly a focus of creativity and innovation. Ditto lardass SUVs.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
They don't actually like anything, as far as I can tell.

When my wife was a teen she got the hell out of Murcia and lived in Greece then Ireland where she met and romanced a bloke on vacation who seemed cool.
So she moved to England and lived with him for a while but all he did when not working or sleeping is drink beer and watch football at the pub.
You may be right!
OTOH my wife can be a real PITA...

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Conversely, remember the Honda CVCC?
Those things were a joke!
Much of the idea behind the shall we say Japanese invasion car market was the cheap prices. That was about it, and they delivered in that.
Now?
Not really comparable product line, very different goals.

My brother-in-law called me one night just before I was getting ready to go to bed. He had one of those things many, many years ago. He and another guy had gotten drunk and turned the thing over on its side. He had walked to a payphone to call me. I picked him up at the phone booth and away we went to where the vehicle was turned over. I drove up, the other guy was sitting off to one side on a rock drinking beer. I looked it all over and saw that it was on its side but on a hill and the hill fell away below the car. I walked over a put my shoulder against the car and gave it a shove and it flipped over on its wheels, rolled a little way and stopped. I didn't say a word just got back in my truck and drove away.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
When my wife was a teen she got the hell out of Murcia and lived in Greece then Ireland where she met and romanced a bloke on vacation who seemed cool.
So she moved to England and lived with him for a while but all he did when not working or sleeping is drink beer and watch football at the pub.
You may be right!

I ain't agonna tough that! :D

KelvinS1965

Tele-Afflicted
You may be right!

We're not all the same, though I guess we have our own stereotype of you guys too which probably isn't fair? ;) I don't drink beer, hate football (our kind and yours) though I do like Teles (and Strats, Les Pauls too).

Sometimes see those huge trucks over here, but usually driven by the kind of guy who has some kind of anatomical issue that he feels the need to compensate for. ;) Total waste of time mostly since carrying a few bags of shopping and a school run could be accomplished with something more modestly sized. I sometimes watch some home make over shows that are based in USA, so I think there are some differences in taste between us, but man those things are just ugly to me.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
You remember the Chevy LUV!
Not a lotta love for those yet they sold and drove in droves...
The drummer in my first two bands drove a Chevy LUV, mid 1990s. It had not aged very well!

A neighbor kid drove a couple of Ford Couriers in a row, too...they seemed to age a little better, but not like vehicles of today.

muscmp

Friend of Leo's
most all cars and trucks look alike to me
is that a buick or a toyota? a kia or a honda?......

play music!

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I really miss the old Ranger and Nissan trucks. Small, compact, sturdy, lasted forever, vinyl bench seats, rubber floors, five speed manuals, you know, a truck.

Jakedog - check out the new Ford Maverick. Smaller like the old Rangers and selling like hotcakes.

OTOH, I absolutely *LOVE* my Colorado. 19 around town, 24+ on the trail, and 27+ on the highway loaded up with cargo going 85. Just took it up the deer hill in October and it went places my old Explorer wouldn't. Parks easily as a car and fits in the smaller third bay of my garage. Plus I'm 6'6" and 280 and it has more legroom than I actually need.

upload_2021-12-28_18-33-38.jpeg

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
We're not all the same, though I guess we have our own stereotype of you guys too which probably isn't fair? ;) I don't drink beer, hate football (our kind and yours) though I do like Teles (and Strats, Les Pauls too).

Sometimes see those huge trucks over here, but usually driven by the kind of guy who has some kind of anatomical issue that he feels the need to compensate for. ;) Total waste of time mostly since carrying a few bags of shopping and a school run could be accomplished with something more modestly sized. I sometimes watch some home make over shows that are based in USA, so I think there are some differences in taste between us, but man those things are just ugly to me.

Oh yeah I was just into the ribbing of stuff including durn fools who buy mini trucks which is about half the TDPRI.
The whole appropriation of work tools by the dress up crowd is annoying though.
I tried not to take offense when driving a work truck after 9/11 when it seems like gun toting flag waving Neanderthals were in every truck on the road and I got lumped in with them by Prius driving commie pinko peaceniks.

Wait, WTH, I’m both of those stereotypes!!!

Actually I’m not gun toting but in Maine you have to own a gun to get a drivers license or the back window will fall out of your pickup and hit a senior citizen.

Dammit I’m a senior now too???
Nooooooo!!!

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Jakedog - check out the new Ford Maverick. Smaller like the old Rangers and selling like hotcakes.

OTOH, I absolutely *LOVE* my Colorado. 19 around town, 24+ on the trail, and 27+ on the highway loaded up with cargo going 85. Just took it up the deer hill in October and it went places my old Explorer wouldn't. Parks easily as a car and fits in the smaller third bay of my garage. Plus I'm 6'6" and 280 and it has more legroom than I actually need.

View attachment 934314

When Chevy first came out with the Colorado, a good friend in my 12 step recovery group bought one and I gave him a bunch of crap about how it wasn’t a REAL TRUCK, which we laughed about and he didn’t take seriously.
But a couple of months later he died of an OD, leaving wife and little girl behind.

Sad memory of making fun of other folks stuff...

Yeah with how ridiculously big “full size” is now, that’s pretty practical.
I think Dodge can be blamed for throwing gas on that war when the started putting tractor trailer big rig graphics on half ton pickups.
Remember that a half ton pickup is a small truck, the smallest “pickup truck” made and sold in America until Datsun.
When Dodge tried to make the little hobby half ton into a big rig, that war was on.
No offense meant to half ton pickups but they really were never serious work trucks. They had drive trains about like a station wagon and similar hauling capacity.
Great for families other vehicle if you needed to haul yard stuff but just not what Dodge faked them up to look like with the massive grilles and hood above fender like a Kenworth.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
FAE8FEED-CFE4-425A-B987-870588B0BFD2.jpeg
DCB58B18-3833-426D-A1E2-C6BDDDC98DCD.jpeg
D06B9C37-8DD6-48FE-9DF2-389C0C1D8164.jpeg
72C099BF-B947-4CF4-8C3D-8EF4B6430927.jpeg
I have a boat and trailer that I haul and launch. I bought a used Chevy Colorado with the Duratec Diesel engine and it has been amazing and trouble free. Love the torque and generally get 28-30 mpg. Love taking it off road, too.