So the new Frontier is a Tacoma?

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Back when I drove a Honda CRX, I once looked over at the Mini Cooper stopped next to me at the light and felt like I was in danger of being crushed.

When I changed that car for a 2007 GTI, I was very dismayed when I looked across at a Frontier next to me at the same light and our heights were even.

My CRv sits up fairly high for a regular vehicle, and I can see UNDER some of the stuff that pulls up along side me in town. I watched a video of some clowns timing themselves getting into one of those things. Best they could do was 2.8 seconds.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
They have steel bumpers. They’re just hidden behind pretty plastic covers.

Yes I get that but if I "bump" something with my bumper I don't want half the plastic cover hanging there waiting to be fixed or tearing the rest of it off.
Talkin' bumper in the style of your friends '85 150. Steel and paint or chrome if you must.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I'm not the target audience, but they all look ugly as sin to me. I never understand the attraction (especially over here in the UK).

Pickup trucks have to be driven and utilized to understand the attraction. I had a pickup truck all of my life until I retired. I figured I wasn't going to haul anything anymore and bought a Honda CRv as my retirement vehicle. I still miss sitting up higher and knowing I could put about anything in the back of my rig that I needed to haul. Now if I need to haul something, I have to borrow, or rent a pickup. If you happen to have a four-wheel drive pickup, you can venture into places off road you couldn't possibly go in a regular car. I'm not sure now if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I used to think it was a good thing.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Datsun had to change names. Their vehicles were s#!t. Remember the B210, 710, the b2000?

I never owned one and do recall they rusted up in Maine but I also seem to recall they usually still worked after 200k miles back when American cars needed new engines after more like 100k miles.
AND a new Datsun cost 1/3 as much as Ford or Chevy.
Maybe I’m comparing cost rather than age in an area where my peers all drove beaters and kept them running with soup cans and hose clamps?
Like when I was 18 in ‘78, a ten year old American car was pretty much used up and worth $400, but a $400 Toyota might have only been eight years old?
Hard to recall all those details but old Datsuns ran a long time up here they just looked like crap doing it.

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I thought these were pretty cool. I know, worthless as a truck, but still I liked the retro look:
small7298.jpg
small7299.jpg
small7300.jpg

Chevrolet-SSR.jpg
I don’t think they caught on and are relatively inexpensive right now.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
Did y’all see this? I mean, it’s not even subtle. I’ve long thought that car designers have all gotten lazy and are basically just copying each other’s homework. But… wow.

They didn’t even bother to change the headstock.

I know Tacomas, and that sir, is no Tacoma. :cool:

OK, yeah, it takes some heavy style points from a previous Toyota generation, but...

The real question to me is why appearance is such a major thing in a utility portion of the market.
But then, I like classic truck looks as much as anyone so I am torn on this...
Its a strange business.

I have often thought the common "ute" marketed in Australia would be a strong seller here. Small, fuel efficient, knock abouts. Crash test failure might be one strong reason, but seriously.... Baby El-Caminos!

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Pickup trucks have to be driven and utilized to understand the attraction. I had a pickup truck all of my life until I retired. I figured I wasn't going to haul anything anymore and bought a Honda CRv as my retirement vehicle. I still miss sitting up higher and knowing I could put about anything in the back of my rig that I needed to haul. Now if I need to haul something, I have to borrow, or rent a pickup. If you happen to have a four-wheel drive pickup, you can venture into places off road you couldn't possibly go in a regular car. I'm not sure now if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I used to think it was a good thing.

Well remember too that England long ago used up all their backwoods so where would a bloke go four wheeling in London?

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I know Tacomas, and that sir, is no Tacoma. :cool:

OK, yeah, it takes some heavy style points from a previous Toyota generation, but...

The real question to me is why appearance is such a major thing in a utility portion of the market.
But then, I like classic truck looks as much as anyone so I am torn on this...
Its a strange business.

I have often thought the common "ute" marketed in Australia would be a strong seller here. Small, fuel efficient, knock abouts. Crash test failure might be one strong reason, but seriously.... Baby El-Caminos!

Why?
One word:
Botox

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
My Dad had a Ranger four cylinder extended bed pickup for awhile. Most dangerous vehicle I ever drove. Didn’t turn well, slid instead of stopped and your correct was very basic. That truck sucked.
He traded it on the last year of the GMC Cabellero, the GMC version of the El Camino. It was a much better vehicle and served him well.

As far as most of the comments on disliking new trucks. Get off my lawn. LOL.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Well remember too that England long ago used up all their backwoods so where would a bloke go four wheeling in London?

I said that was ONE of the attractions of having a four-wheel drive pickup truck. How am I supposed to know what they do in London? Wait just a minute, I've watched Sherlock Holmes enough to know, they all ride in horse drawn carriages! Never mind! I do think riding in a carriage is very civilized.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Datsun had to change names. Their vehicles were s#!t. Remember the B210, 710, the b2000?

Conversely, remember the Honda CVCC?
Those things were a joke!
Much of the idea behind the shall we say Japanese invasion car market was the cheap prices. That was about it, and they delivered in that.
Now?
Not really comparable product line, very different goals.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I said that was ONE of the attractions of having a four-wheel drive pickup truck. How am I supposed to know what they do in London? Wait just a minute, I've watched Sherlock Holmes enough to know, they all ride in horse drawn carriages! Never mind! I do think riding in a carriage is very civilized.

Dogs like trucks.
Do Brits like dogs?
Asking for a friend...

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
That was the great thing about "real" cars, back in the day, if a guy needed a start, you just pulled in behind him, the bumpers matched perfectly, and you gave him a push! Everyone knew their part, the pusher would get the pushee going a good clip, then slow down abruptly, so the guy in front could pop the clutch and start the car, and nobody got banged up!

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
As long as you carry a shovel.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Our farm/work truck is a beater ‘98 Toyota T-100 V6/4WD. I thought T-100s looked kind of bloated and weird when they came out, after being used to the old Toyota trucks, Rangers B2000s LUVs Couriers etc.

Now it looks like a grungy little toy compared to all the semi-tractor-sized new trucks. Everything seems huge, blocky and blinged-out to me now.

You remember the Chevy LUV!
Not a lotta love for those yet they sold and drove in droves...