So the new Frontier is a Tacoma?

Drew617

Tele-Holic
View attachment 934261

I don’t have any pics of my last Ranger. Sadly. This one belonged to very best friend. It’s an ‘85. V6 model. Pictures here in ‘95 with over 200k miles on it. It’s only repairs it’s whole life at this point were brakes and tires. He did change the oil religiously.

This truck is still on the road in Lubbock, TX. It’s currently over 600k miles on the original drive train.

That is awesome. I had an '85 Bronco II, probably with the same V6. I was not and am not a mechanic, but successfully did head gaskets on that truck in my base housing carport. I don't think it cost me more than a Chilton's manual, a deep socket set, and a couple weekends. Must've borrowed a timing light, and I definitely borrowed a torque wrench from a missile toolkit. Sold, or possibly gave, that truck to a friend when I left town, and as far as I know it's still running around Casa Grande. The desert was great for "survivor" cars.

Nahtabot

Tele-Holic
Eeee Arrr Urrr Urrr...
hyundai-santa-cruz-w_1600x0.webp

Best looking vehicle on this thread so far.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
You sound like an F150 driver....;)

I stopped liking the F-150 around Y2K when they gave it that round nose and squished the bed into the cab.
Plus they made the F-250 a real truck and turned the 150 into a rugged soccer mom girly truckette.

Last edited:

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Well, at least you can’t blame the same wind tunnel jellybean look that has plagued the car companies for decades now. Sorry to see Nissan fold under pressure. They were always pushing the envelope of industrial design.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I’m a Hyundai fanatic. You could park my car in the back of today’s F150s.

Seems like Hyundai is slowly pushing Subaru off the practical motorist podium as those love based soobs keep or kept needing huge repairs in recent years.
They oddly bumped off some of the WRX models too, and their big selling point now is love and charity?
Meanwhile buyers are getting devoted to Hyundai like they used to be to Subaru.

Part of me likes the idea of a vehicle lasting a rally really long time.
In the snow belt not many do but Volvo holds off the rust really well.
But more and more electronics makes a 20yo car kind of suck, because of all the wire connectors and sensors getting wet.

Brand loyalty?
More flexible these days...

rghill

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
My son just got a 2001 Jeep Cherokee 4wd. The new Cherokee is a joke compared to that truck.

I will be looking for an early/mid 2000s Ford Ranger, Nissan Frontier, or Toyota Tacoma or Tundra for camping and towing duties. The new trucks have just become too expensive.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I really miss the old Ranger and Nissan trucks. Small, compact, sturdy, lasted forever, vinyl bench seats, rubber floors, five speed manuals, you know, a truck.
I drive a ‘92 Ranger long bed. It’s as you describe, except the split bench/almost bucket seat setup is covered in what appears to be mouse fur. At least I don’t slide around when I’m cornering. As if I could generate enough g force to slide.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Seems like Hyundai is slowly pushing Subaru off the practical motorist podium as those love based soobs keep or kept needing huge repairs in recent years.
They oddly bumped off some of the WRX models too, and their big selling point now is love and charity?
Meanwhile buyers are getting devoted to Hyundai like they used to be to Subaru.

Part of me likes the idea of a vehicle lasting a rally really long time.
In the snow belt not many do but Volvo holds off the rust really well.
But more and more electronics makes a 20yo car kind of suck, because of all the wire connectors and sensors getting wet.

Brand loyalty?
More flexible these days...
I’m on my fourth Hyundai. I have only paid for one repair. Ever. And it was my fault. I ran over a huge item of highway debris that dropped in front of me off a trailer. Caused a significant amount of damage. Other than that? Nada. Against everything n every class they compete in, they cost less to buy, significantly less to own, if anything does break they have a far superior warranty, and they get better fuel economy, which as somebody who drives an absolute minimum of 20-25k miles per year, is a big deal.

My wife’s last Subaru was such a nightmare she now drives a Jeep.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Toyota and Honda both have new resting on their laurels for years now. They’re just raking in the dough until their customers wake up.

Not really...

The 2022 will be a "eco-boost" V6 Tundra and probably Tacoma will follow suit. Most customers don't upgrade trucks that often so the fact it's 10 years between major model changes is no big deal. I like that! There's no need to be upgrading trucks every couple years.

Toyota's routinely get 500K miles and once you start winding them up tight with turbo schemes that's gonna be less common. I think they did more due diligence as the 2.5 Gen 5.7L Tundra is a GREAT truck! probably the last of the breed the way things are going. It's simple to understand a 5.7L V8 will last longer than a 4.7 V6 Turbo.... that has more HP....by far! So a 20 year truck becomes a 5 year truck and the land fills fill up.....Toyota took a good 5 years longer than any other truck line to come on board with the "eco-boost" stuff and here's hoping they were actually working on the design.

BTW a beefy truck is a GOOD thing! One disaster where you need 4x4 or clearance will pay for that. I come across 5 or 6 instances a year where I feel blessed I have a V8 4x4.

El Serio

Tele-Meister
Datsun invented the disposable mini truck so Nissan really can’t steal it from a Toyota who stole it from Datsun.

When Datsun changed their name to Nissan I think many folks then sort of gave Toyota a senior status and treated Datsun/ Nissan as the new guy.
I wish they were still priced like disposable mini trucks. I bet profit margins on these things are huge