So the new Frontier is a Tacoma?

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Did y’all see this? I mean, it’s not even subtle. I’ve long thought that car designers have all gotten lazy and are basically just copying each other’s homework. But… wow.

52B913FA-614A-40C6-A8E2-F858FA047A17.jpeg

They didn’t even bother to change the headstock.

Lotek

Tele-Meister
I recently saw a photo of the new Toyota truck/suv line. Not a fan, looks like a spaceship.

Thanks Preacher, beat me to it.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Automakers are plagarizing what works in the marketplace. So something big and rugged, even if it’s only rugged looking, increases the odds of success in the off road market. There’s not much of that where I live unless you count beach erosion as a legitimate off road market but monster trucks rule the roads at 75 or 80 mph scaring the crap out of other drivers. The ability to intimidate sells trucks. RAM takes it one step farther with loud pipes that make a Harley sound like your father’s Oldsmobile.

Drew617

Tele-Holic
Before the pandemic market, and before our youngest daughter, I'd have bought a last-gen Frontier just for the crazy discount. Ancient and unsexy, sure, but they're solid and there's been a lot of bloat and weird vanity happening around trucks for a long time now.

Not that Nissan wanted to be in a race to the bottom, but: If it looks and costs about like a Tacoma, not sure why I wouldn't just Tacoma.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Automakers are plagarizing what works in the marketplace. So something big and rugged, even if it’s only rugged looking, increases the odds of success in the off road market. There’s not much of that where I live unless you count beach erosion as a legitimate off road market but monster trucks rule the roads at 75 or 80 mph scaring the crap out of other drivers. The ability to intimidate sells trucks. RAM takes it one step farther with loud pipes that make a Harley sound like your father’s Oldsmobile.
One has to wonder when we’re going to realize that on the whole, packaging and marketing all this raw aggression is screwing us up as a society. I’m not just talking about trucks. It’s across the board. And it’s not going well.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Before the pandemic market, and before our youngest daughter, I'd have bought a last-gen Frontier just for the crazy discount. Ancient and unsexy, sure, but they're solid and there's been a lot of bloat and weird vanity happening around trucks for a long time now.

Not that Nissan wanted to be in a race to the bottom, but: If it looks and costs about like a Tacoma, not sure why I wouldn't just Tacoma.
I really miss the old Ranger and Nissan trucks. Small, compact, sturdy, lasted forever, vinyl bench seats, rubber floors, five speed manuals, you know, a truck.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
One has to wonder when we’re going to realize that on the whole, packaging and marketing all this raw aggression is screwing us up as a society. I’m not just talking about trucks. It’s across the board. And it’s not going well.
I really miss the old Ranger and Nissan trucks. Small, compact, sturdy, lasted forever, vinyl bench seats, rubber floors, five speed manuals, you know, a truck.
My grandson drives a 2001 Ford Ranger, extended cab. It really is a truck on a smaller scale. It is an automatic transmission, but manual windows. ;)
You're dead-right, though about the marketing aggression and intimidation. Use to, it was only the occasional "stupid kid" who jacked up his truck with oversized wheels.....now they come from the factory that way, and cost so much only a dad with a six-figure job can afford one. But, the bully/intimidation thing is important on today's roads. :(

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

Two reasons people buy Nissans instead of Toyotas - (1) The Toyota dealer is always sold out of the one you want, and (2) the Toyota dealer won't come down much on the price.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Did y’all see this? I mean, it’s not even subtle. I’ve long thought that car designers have all gotten lazy and are basically just copying each other’s homework. But… wow.

The looks are a huge improvement over previous recent Nissans. Looks like all their new trucks have gone away from the ugly, complicated corporate grill they'd been using for the past few years, the one that looks like it's sticking a chrome tongue out at you. Hopefully their cars will too. It may be bland and derivative, but at least it's not aggressively ugly.

Drew617

Tele-Holic

Yes - had a couple of those as a younger guy. Best if you actually needed a truck, but for a while those could also a better value than any car if you just needed two seats.

I'm not necessarily opposed to creature comforts sneaking in, though. We're urbanites and share one parking space between two cars, which means anything I'd buy has to be my daily. I also sit on the freeway for hours some days, so no issue with the usual "base" luxuries like power windows and navent and carpets. It is handy to just rinse off the floor, though.

I know manufacturers have to chase the market and these things are profitable, but can't help feeling those top-line Big Veiny Ramhorn Editions screw up entire product lines for the rest of us. Everything doesn't need to be jacked up and aggressive. It's a truck, not an affirmation of my manhood.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member

The hood of a Ram truck is designed to make anything within a hundred and fifty feet in front of you completely invisible. So much the better for guessing where the tiny little Prius you are intimidating is on the highway in front of you.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
The hood of a Ram truck is designed to make anything within a hundred and fifty feet in front of you completely invisible. So much the better for guessing where the tiny little Prius you are intimidating is on the highway in front of you.

A co-worker drives a Ram truck, and she always has at least one broken taillight. She's had it since 2006 and still doesn't know where the rear of the truck ends.

Tuneup

Tele-Holic
What it looks like on the outside is maybe 20% of the decision, it's the engine and drive train that I'm interested in, which is why I drive a Toyota.
21 years and only one problem, fuel/air sensor in the exhaust went out.

I have to say I've been shopping 22's and I don't Toyota is up to the same standard they were 20 years ago.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
The Maverick is kind of like that--smaller body, more spartan interior--but I'm not going on a wait list like a jerk to sit until Ford gets around to making me a vehicle.

I wish Toyota would bring back their 80's trucks--which begs a question: why don't auto manufacturers do reissues like guitar companies do?

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
I agree when I saw the new Nissans- I said the same thing- they copied Tacoma wheels, colors etc.