1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So the guy who bought my guitar is trying to flip it......

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dismalhead, Jul 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

I’m well aware, I was being facetious, I used to work on the other side of the counter.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  2. znanjeiimanje

znanjeiimanje TDPRI Member

I had a similar situation once... Bought a mint Fender Hot Rod Deluxe from a guy for 400$. Brought it home, plugged it in and the more I played it, the more I hated it. Bought it so I wouldn't have to lug my Twin Reverb to practices, but realized I couldn't play on that thing.

Stayed with me for 6 months, never played. I told my bass player I would put it up for sale, then he told me he knows a guy who is looking for one. The guy goes like would 450$ be ok? I was like sure.

Later on it turns out the guy that sold me the amp in the first place is gigging with the drummer in my old high school band. Now we're friends :)

3. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I didn’t read the whole thread, but if you must flip it, flip it good!
    22B7E610-A95C-4CAC-8488-01B4EB0A747E.gif

carpenter and tubegeek like this.
  4. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

we are all involved, we all know, involve in what, what do I do , what am I involved in every single day.?
    I don't know what it is.
    I do not participate in the buying and selling with the exception of buying with out negotiation an example:
    Isee an online ad at reverb ,guitar center decide if I want it at the requested price and decide if I will buy it.
    There is no bartering haggling and I am not buying to resell.

5. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I've been flipping guitars as a hobby for nearly 20 years. One thing I don't do though is lie to the people I buy from if it's a person to person sale. I also resell at very reasonable prices because I'm that guy that gets all the crazy low deals to begin with. I have multiple guys that buy from me regularly because they get good stuff at good prices.

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

If you buy anything at all - food, lumber at Home Depot, gas, back scratcher at the dime store - you are participating in it.

Someone/some company bought that stuff at the lowest price they could, and sold it to you at the highest price they could.

We’re all involved .

The good side of the equation/transaction is not the one we’re usually on...

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  7. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

awe..... that's true, so very true, you are going from the specific, to the general.:twisted:
    Specifically we were discussing being honest brokers in the music trade which switched to the most general in global economics.
    This is like discussing music business with specific boundaries to generally discussing quantum mechanics:lol:

8. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't think he needed to give you the story, but him flipping it is his right and there's nothing unethical about it.

Several years ago I made friends with a guy on another guitar forum and he bought an Epiphone Les Paul Jr from me for maybe $200. A little while later I ask him how it's holding up, and I think he was embarrassed but told me he sold it. I found his ad and I think he made $50. I felt a little burned but then thought...so? It was his guitar. He could have used it for kindling if he wanted.

A couple years ago, I sold every DVD in my possession. I didn't want to penny-anny them and sell them one or two at a time. I sold the entire thing in bulk for about $200. It was two huge bins of DVDs. I asked the guy straight up if he was going to flip them piece by piece on eBay and that's he said yeah. I assumed when I was selling them that that was exactly the kind of person who'd buy them. I wasn't ripped off and I hope he did make a profit.

I once bought a 97 American Fender strat for $300 in a pawnshop and flipped it for $400 on eBay. Afterward, I kinda wished I kept it.

9. mickeydean

mickeydean Friend of Leo's

There was this local kid I befriended 25 years ago who is grown now. I always liked the kid, so whenever I had a piece of gear for sale that he wanted, I would sell it to him way under it’s value. Just recently I learned he was taking the gear to a store out of town and selling it for what it was worth at the store. He was scamming me for years.

10. RedRhino

RedRhino TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I just offered him $150- told him it looked to be a good copy and probably still playable- yada,yada,yada......

11. sananteleo

sananteleo TDPRI Member

If the sale is a purely cash deal with a stranger, your involvement is done when you sell the guitar and accept his payment. From then on he's free to do whatever he wants. If the sale were to someone you know, and had some understanding attached to it such as "I'm selling this to you, but if you ever want to sell it, give me first right of refusal to buy it back", that would be different, but doesn't sound like that's the case here.

12. trackerdan

trackerdan Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Quit your whining.

Junco Partner, gavquinn and Jjmatashi like this.
  13. Jjmatashi

Jjmatashi TDPRI Member

Welcome indeed - and its called capitalism!

14. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ Tele-Meister

It's how the free market works. People sell for all kinds of reasons. Sometimes I get a good deal because the seller needs the cash or doesn't have the patience to wait out the right buyer. If I later flip that item, I'll price it at the market level or higher to leave room for haggling. If I bought it at $1,000, I may relist it at $1,200 so I can drop it and get my money back (or close to it), factoring in fees and shipping.

One thing I've learned to do now (on Reverb) when buying a guitar is to go through the transaction history of the seller. I learned that after I bought a LP for $2300 and later looked to see if the buyer had purchased it on Reverb - sure enough, 3 months earlier, he bought it for $1900.

15. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Never sold anything except for my first tube amp.My cousin still has it, kept it for 35 years.
    He still won't sell it back to me.

16. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

If I sell something, the buyer can do with it whatever he wants. Give it up, pal.

17. gavquinn

gavquinn TDPRI Member

I bought a guitar from a guy, had it for about a year and then went to sell it, advertised for more than what the previous ad asked; I had someone email me castigating me about it.

You've every right to sell on what you want for the price you want, don't listen to idiots, they're living in a fairy land. You buy a house for €10k in the 60s, so what, you're gonna sell it for €10k now? Pfft

18. gavquinn

gavquinn TDPRI Member

Or more precisely free market economics.

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  19. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't worry about it too much.
    Once I get what I want for it, let them do the DAnce to try to get it all back plus Fifty Percent.
    We are living in a buyers Market right now.

20. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Guitarists, LOL! :lol:

They’ll sell you a car and never give it another thought. You could send it to the crusher and they wouldn’t care, as long as they get their price.

But if they sell you a guitar, you’d better do the right thing and be good to their baby! Give it a good home, and do not be mercenary and flip it for a profit.

I guess we get a little emotionally attached to our instruments and want them to be appreciated if we should reluctantly let them go.

I’ve sold guitars in the past, but I’m so bad with the ones that I own now that I could never part with them. Especially if the buyer’s motivation was filthy lucre.

I guess we see them as more than just objects.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.