1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So proud of myself.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Oct 25, 2020.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Confession: I can do wide area networking, security admin and manage server clusters across sites but I was never able to program a VCR. I'm up there with the worst reactionaries on TV setup or anything the photo copiers do beyond their networking and one button copying.

Yesterday I hooked up TV, the sound system, and the Apple TV. I actually watched a new movie release right away instead of walking into a room months or years later when someone else does it.

There was selfish motivation - play the guitar by the fireplace to YouTube content. Still, it might happen I know more about shows and movies discussed here.

Now I'm more curious than ever to understand the human mind. Countless millions do TV setup that was more complicated than what they refuse to do at work.

2. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Nice. I was the Technology Coordinator at a university and I'm about the least tech savvy person you've ever met. I accidentally set the alarm on my watch for 8:11pm and can't figure out how to turn it off. Every night at 8:11...........

3. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

VCRs? Alarms? I'm still struggling with my phone. I was speaking with my kid and signed off but for some reason couldn't find the red button to hang up. My kid was obviously amused and said, "You don't know how to disconnect, do you?" I said, "I can't seem to find the button. Could you please just hang up?" My kid laughed and said, "No, I just want to see how long this takes."

AAT65 and StevesBoogie like this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My wife knows the iPhone so well she teaches multiple generations younger how to work it, but can she change the time on her portable travel clock ... no.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Congratulations on your new found courage to engage in battle against the machine! I have just learned a very clever new trick on my phone. While I'm talking with one person, I'm able to call another which confuses the person I'm talking to, the person I called, and myself simultaneously!

String Tree and AAT65 like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

That's why I never give more than fifteen bucks for a watch, if it does something like that, I just throw it away, and buy another one. I have the watch they gave me when I retired for special occasions. I take it to a jewelry store, have the battery replaced, the time set, and never touch it again. SOMETIMES I will change it when the daylight savings debacle takes place. (then I have to go back to the jewelry store)

String Tree likes this.
  7. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

A very revealing post .
    I grow Silver Queen sweet corn . The packages of seed always list 93 days to maturity . It has never taken that long for me .
    I pick my apples when they are ripe , not when some schedule says to .
    I help pick grapes at a local winery . The grapes are picked when they are ready , not when some schedule says so . In fact , this winery produced no red wine last year because the overabundance of rain prevented the grapes from maturing . They made rose instead .
    Point being that out here in the real world , random happenings are the norm . No binary code , etc. and strict regulations/structure .
    Because of the overabundance of rain last year , many outdoors based businesses took a hit from no fault of their own and random actions .
    I challenge you to step away from your servers , security admins and networking for a period just to see what the other side looks like . What you will gain will be invaluable . Get some dirt under your fingernails . Fear not because it will all wash away .

8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Don't worry. I do escape. I've been an angler and trail builder for a long time. Also an adventure traveler before it was in an era of bro-ification we see. I still ride an early 1960s one speed steel bicycle. We garden and wear out kitchen appliances on a regular basis. All yesterday was dirt and hand tools. After some caffeine beverage I'm going to go shred it on a bike.

:)

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I am also an IT professional, which my adult sons laughingly remind me of when I ask them how to do something with my laptop/phone/tv

10. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I was referring to the daily working world , not personal pastimes and short term escape activities . Experiencing how the daily lives of others unfold . Most everyone knows their own back yard well enough .

11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

There are many levels of "ept" and inept. I'm the training manager for laser microscopes at a company I'll be retiring from at the end of the year. That involves writing manuals, setting up computers, training others to set up computers and update operating systems, update software and firmware, repair laser devices, and other stuff as "required by my employer". Ever notice how job descriptions read? It always comes down to do what needs to be done. OK, so I'm a manager in a VERY technical field. At home, my wife calls me to "fix the television" when she accidentally selects the wrong input or rolls over on one of the buttons on the remote in her sleep. I also get the call for help when "The computer won't do.... whatever it is she broke or can't figure out how to do." That's the "ept" part.

There's an inept part too. I still need to call the support desk at New York Life (my wife's primary employer) on occasion. I can't fix everything. Sometimes I don't even know where to look. But at least I can help the support guy. I have an iPhone. I can do emails, simple texting, taking pictures, making calls, turn the thing to power saver mode as it devours the battery. I can open a calendar and set an alarm. There are so many more things an iPhone does. I mostly don't even know what they are. I can't use the Apple Store. I had to create an account when I got the thing but I have no idea how to access it. I can't manage a PayPal account so I don't buy anything I can't put on a card or write a check for.

Now for the part where I'm hopelessly lost. I can't use my wife's Android phone. I can't make calls. I can't do anything that can't be done with a voice command. When she wants to show me a picture, I can't keep it open for 5 seconds before it vanishes.

So I guess it's that way for most of us. There are things we can do. There are things we can do with help. There are things we can't do at all. There are things we could learn to do if we cared enough. And that's the way it is.

elihu likes this.
  12. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

This thread made me get off my butt and go to youtube for a video on how to shut off the alarm lol. My main problem was I lost the directions long ago and the icons on the screen are FAR too small for me to see. Thanks!

13. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fact: Science and Medicine have yet to isolate the part of our Brain that does that kind of stuff, let alone the part that enjoys it.

imwjl likes this.
  14. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Proving once again, your skill-set has no limits.
    YEP!!!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Admiring this - you just motivated me to wonder how to "add a screen" to connect android phone to vizio screen (teevee) or same between Mrs Deeve's chromebook and the teevee -
    Goal - watch youtube on big screen

Peace - Deeve

16. Toto'sDad

[​IMG]

17. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Do you know what time Sean Connery arrives at Wimbledon?

Ten-ish.

Toto'sDad, Peegoo and Grant Austin like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.