So my friend is building this Tele - what wood is this?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by nvilletele, Aug 19, 2009.

1. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'll be here all week... tip your waitress!

:lol:

Jim

2. s_grimey

s_grimey TDPRI Member

Thank you.

3. Zmatko

Zmatko Tele-Meister

That's a tough one, with finishing on it resembles ash, the pores on the front lower bout resembles white korina and all in all Colt W Knight might be right.
    But birch here in northern scandinavia doesn't look too much like that so i can't tell you on for sure.

4. Jason G

Jason G Tele-Meister

OK guys, please don't take any offense here. This wood is definitely NOT birch or poplar. And Colt W. Knight, I'm very sorry to tell you that your Masters Degree buddy cannot be more wrong... the wood in question is not any type of maple either. The wood in the photos is a "ring porous" hardwood.

All hardwoods fall into 2 distinct categories: Wood "Diffuse Porous" and "Ring Porous." These categories have to do with a tree's cell structure as they relate to the growth seasons. I can try to explain this further if need be??? OK, so the cell structure of a "diffuse porous" tree is very evenly spread, or "diffuse", resulting in a more tight and closed grain texture in cross section and once it has been milled. A "ring porous" tree has areas of its vessels that are much larger than the other vessels, resulting in cross section and milled texture that has some areas that are tight and closed, while the remaining areas have larger and more open grain. The photos above reveal to us a "ring porous" section of wood. This is most evident, if you cannot tell from the other photos, in the stained photo of the tele body front view. The photo with the flash reflection at the upper bout of the stained body is very easy to see the open(needs to be filled) grain of this "ring porous" wood.

As for birch, poplar, maples... well they are all "diffuse porous" and would not have any areas of open grain textures.

"Olaftheholy" does mention Elm, which IS "ring porous" and has on many occasions I'm sure, found its way into batches of ash lumber. I have even seen it mixed with ash on millwork and cabinetry jobs, and it was certainly not "out of place" as it can look very much the same as ash.

But don't take my word for it though, I could be just some self proclaimed expert spouting off fluff in an attempt to make myself seem well educated in such things. :lol: My guess is you could find this info online or at your local library.

Cheers,

Jason G in Amarillo, TX (Top of Texas!)

5. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Now that you told us that we were all wrong, what is it?

6. JasonRobert

JasonRobert Tele-Holic

id say ash.

7. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

It looks just like swamp ash to me.

8. fishtownmike

fishtownmike Tele-Meister

It looks like birch plywood to me. And is that a 2 piece body thats not joined at the center. I see a seem midway between the lower horn cutaway that runs to the back?

9. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Thats what it looks like to me fish, but since I can't really tell with these pics, I wasn't going to say anything like that. That's why I suggested birch, because it looks just like cabinet grade plywood doesn't it?

10. Jason G

Jason G Tele-Meister

Follow the grain at the "tummy-cut" in the photos of the back of the body... evidence of solid wood(no ply's). And the shape/pattern of the grain can resemble birch all day long, but the areas of open grain still trumps that shape/pattern, disqualifying Birch.

Jason G

11. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Not to argue at all but you still haven't stated what you think it is...

12. Zmatko

Zmatko Tele-Meister

The back of the guitar certainly indicates that it's ash, it could be Limba/hickory or some kind of a strange oak but ash is what it reminds of, maybe a soft cut.

13. fishtownmike

fishtownmike Tele-Meister

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. (Pun intended) Sassafras!

14. Jason G

Jason G Tele-Meister

Oh, uhm, ah... actually I threw out my guess in post #12.

Cheers,

Jason G

15. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

:oops:
    My apologies.
    I was so wrapped up in your descriptions and knowledge of wood I completely missed that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.