1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So my drummer is bringing over Laney 100 amp he's had for ages, what to expect?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by FortyEight, Oct 10, 2020.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

I can't find the pictures he sent me right now and don't remember the name of it exactly. It's a 100 watt head, it's like from the 80's or 90's It's a tube head. Pro Tube 100 I think it was called and the real kicker is it's in white and has some kind of badge on it that says 009 of 100.

I'm pretty excited. He's giving it to me with about 5 pedals. They are cheaper dan electro pedals and 2 others.

That being said I could not find out a whole lot about this amp other than Laney supposedly played with Le Zeppelin and then made amps and started the company. And I guess Black Sabbath used them.

I'm pretty sure my drummer was playing in a metal band and he got this from the guitarist. With the intention of learning guitar one day but he never did.

So anyways... It's got a big cabinet that looks like a 4x12 cabinet but my google search came up with that it might be a 2x12 cab. Either way I'm pretty interested in seeing what sounds I can get out of it.

I mean it's free. At the same time I know some amps just don't sound that good.

Anyone have any experience with these pro tube 100's?

2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I had a Laney 2x12 around 1980. It sounded good but it was heavy. Much else I can't remember.

3. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

I think you can expect that your drummer wants to bang on his skins with abandon.

4. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

If I remember rightly, they were mighty sounding British amps, around the same time as Sound City and Hiwatt.
    There was the Laney Klipp, which MAY have been used by Mick Ronson, not really sure about that but for some reason his name comes to mind regarding Laney.

FortyEight likes this.
  5. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Pro Tube heads were mid-late 80s, I think. I had a buddy who used the 50-watt version of that head with a Crate 4 x 12 cab in the grunge years.

It sounded nice with his Les Paul. It had a few knobs with various pull-boost functions and it took a while for him to figure out how they all interacted and dial them in...but once he did, he was able to get a great crunch tone.

Sounds like a hell of a deal and pretty versatile if you can figure out how the control functions overlap and interact.

FortyEight likes this.
  6. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

Well you certainly can't beat that price. Enjoy dialing her in. We will need pictures of course.

7. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Tommi Iommi loud , but pleasantly so;)

8. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Just from memory , they sound great sometimes , LOL
    as with everything built in GB , fires do occur !

FortyEight and gimmeatele like this.
  9. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

When was the last time it was turned on? If it's been, like, a decade, beware of dead electrolytic caps. Turning it on could be a cascading, expensive failure, but it could also be OK.

10. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

I have used Laney equipment since begining playing back in the late 70s, its superb equipment and to me a sound of British music, still use a cub head and 2 x 12" and a laney bass combo. You will love it

FortyEight likes this.
  11. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Wear hearing protection when you decide to crank it. You will crank it. It is in the rules :)

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Those are as noted, prone to fires and might burn your house down.
    Send it to me and I will dispose of it properly.

13. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

If he's had it for ages caps are probably in order sooner, before it burns your house down.

FortyEight likes this.
  14. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

That's how they stay warm over there, what with the lack of central heating in the older houses and all.

FortyEight likes this.
  15. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch TDPRI Member

I had a VH100R head with a 2-12” matching cab. Triple channel with switchable gain on each channel, though missing the expensive footswitch.

It was a little loud for a bedroom band practice.

FortyEight and mkdaws32 like this.
  16. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

OK, my curiosity is piqued on this thing.

I wear ear pro when playing my drums. He haven't played together yet since the 90's. But we are recording together remotely. I just finished my parts on our third song and we're having a bunch of fun. I think the plan it for them to come on my wife's lunch break tomorrow so we can rock out for a bit. I may need earpro then too. LOL.

I will be sure to unplug it when not in use. Hopefully it won't spontaneously combust.

I thin the upside is that if I need new tubes, Laney is still a company and may be able to direct me to what I need. I'm not sure what these "caps" are though....

I'm still hoping it fires up without issue though of course. But if there is an issue, my vox cambridge has a speaker out and I can use that amp with the cabinet for mondays practice.

He sent me pics but I'm not sure what happened to them. I'll have to look again.

tonyj likes this.
  17. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

found em

from what I can tell from the pic, there's 4 speakers in that cab. I wonder if the covering is redone and the cabinet one somebody built....

No, I did a search and came up with one for sale on reverb. Looks almost identical but the face of the speaker cab is a metal grill and not cloth...

Attached Files:

18. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Caps=capacitors. The electrolytic capacitors have a limited lifespan.

It would be a good idea to ask around amongst tube amp users in your area to figure out what repair resources there are for musical tube amps. They do require periodic maintenance and tube replacement.

On the upside, that amp should be one loud bastard, and it’s unlikely you’ll have a situation where you have to push it very hard. A quartet of power tubes (I believe that will have four EL34s in it) should last you a good long time.

FortyEight likes this.
  19. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

20. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

20th Anniversary, so that dates it to 1987. They were a serious amp. World voltage selector, built like a brick dunny. The components used in the AOR series were top-notch, but even so, electrolytics can dry out and then they do all manner of things best not mentioned in front of those with a nervous disposition. At 33 years old, they may well benefit from being retired and replaced with new ones. Some old British caps, like any top-notch cap, will live until the heat death of the universe. Sitting unused is in some ways worse for a cap than living a life of continuous use. Plaques form on the plates, limiting their capacitance, playing merry hell with resistances, until all that's left is a foul smelling wad of fibrous spooge as the cap dies and vomits forth its viscera. It can be worse if one shorts out and power goes where power shouldn't.

Laney valve amps sound fantastic. Older Laney amps are up there with the the best of them. Spend a little to get it serviced, then keep the thing in regular use, but be warned. To Laney, that 100 Watts is 100 Watts before interesting clipping. Laney do loud.

ElJay370, Jakedog, Ron R and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.