So many benefits to riding a bicycle......

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I miss those days. I used to commute to work via a bike path next to my apartment, ride out to the gym, and pick up groceries on the way home.

Since moving out of the city, cycling is just for exercise and enjoyment only. My work commute is 50 miles round trip, so that isn't going to work. My nearest grocery store is only 14 miles round trip which is fine, except bikes are always being stolen, so that is a no-go as well. The ride itself would suck anyway because the expansion strips on the highway shoulders around here are about 3 inches wide and every 20 feet.....might as well be riding on a train track.

I do need to get out and ride more to shed some winter weight, but that is all the bike is good for these days.

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
I commuted by bike for probably 20 years until the kids schedules got too crazy to get home, change etc. Before gettin in the car. It was so nice, to combine the f-in commute with exercise and to not pay for nothing but chain lube n a tube once in a while.

Actually!!! As I read this, I am in the garage tunin up the ol steed. My oldest (10th grader) got into some sort of biking class for the last weeks of this semester. I was volunteered to go with them tomorrow. They tune bikes in the morning, then we will cycle around the Mission District (in SF) visit a bike shop, eat, then do a bike workshop somewhere, some more touring then return to the school.

I am pretty surprised that there is a teacher at their high school that has taken on this challenge to get kids into it. My kid has never really taken to it, even though I helped him build out his bike and took him to Tam etc. to ride. But he is very into this class. It will be interesting to see how the other kids are taking to it.

It’s not all roses though. I heard they had 5 flats day before yesterday and today someone broke a chainring. Ugh. I am packing tools.

Last edited:

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I save so much money, stay healthy, and just enjoy life by riding a bicycle nearly everywhere I go.
I just wish I lived some place where I didn't have to fight an annual ice age every winter. If I lived some place where it never freezes I would be in way better shape than I'm in now. Biking is awesome! Especially on the college campuses.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I just wish I lived some place where I didn't have to fight an annual ice age every winter. If I lived some place where it never freezes I would be in way better shape than I'm in now. Biking is awesome! Especially on the college campuses.
I used to say that regarding my marathon racing. Here in Nebraska, training hard year round is often too difficult and so I always felt envious of those runners out in San Diego or someplace where they could train hard all year.

I used to say that, until I was stationed in San Diego and discovered that not having a break period resulted in more injuries. Injuries that would sideline you for weeks at a time. I now value harsh winters as it forces me to slow down, train less, and recover more. I don't get injured this way.

Stanford Guitar

Friend of Leo's
AND….

There’s Bicycle GAS which is as bad as guitar GAS.

If you guys only knew how deep the rabbit hole goes at my place......and not just bikes, but tools, and parts, and electronics, and......

IMG_4741.JPG

Last edited:

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
If you guys only knew how deep the rabbit hole goes at my place......and not just bikes, but tools, and parts, and electronics, and......

View attachment 984799
See! This is what it becomes, a literal bike shop in his house. Let this be a lesson for those of you out there thinking … hey, I should just get one starter bike (like the Squier of bikes). Next, you will be looking for shop and storage space next to @Stanford Guitar ‘s shop/storage space :)

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
When I lived on the Connecticut shoreline I commuted 36 miles round trip on a 1969 Raleigh 3 speed. I'd do another 10 miles a day just running errands too. I was good for 40 to 50 miles a day most days of the week. I was in great shape and I loved it. Of course, I was poor, with a junky car, hence my bike miles. But I was happy.

Plus, it was priceless to see the look on their faces when I'd announce "On your left!" and drop some guy riding a carbon fiber steed worth more than my junker car. Actually, I'd never actually see their faces because I'd kick it into overdrive and outpace them before I dared turn my head. No way I was going to let that guy have the satisfaction of catching me after that.

Sadly, I just don't feel comfortable riding on Pittsburgh roads. They scare the crap out of me.

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
One of the best times of my life was when I was living in San Francisco. I had a Full-Suspension Cannondale...and could easily beat any city bus anywhere in the city.

And Downtown, I could beat any traffic period.

Now I sell motorcycles, and lots of folks are upsetty spaghetti over the prices on motorcycles. In these cases I sometimes show my customers what we pay for nice pedal bikes....and they cannot believe it.

If I really want to get em, I show em how much guitars and gear costs...lol

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
About 12 years ago a guy in a Ford Ranger tried to put me in the corner pocket. Bent the frame on my Peugeot roadie and cracked my helmet against the curb. I used to do 10 miles every weekday morning. It’s been a stationary bike ever since. Not the same at all. It’s exercise, but no fun. One of these days I’ll pick up a real bike again and get out in nature.