So Mad at Myself!

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by rsclosson, May 1, 2020.

1. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

This happened several months ago when it was still cold enough. I can just now talk about it, it is so painful. I should have known better and cannot stop feeling sick. I brought my Eastman AR-371 out of my cold car after an unintentional overnight stay in the car. I forgot about it being nitro long enough to very stupidly open the case immediately. Well, you can guess what happened. I have a nicely, if you can describe it that way, checked finish on my beautiful Eastman archtop. (It sort of looks cool in a kind of sick way and the guitar still plays great, but I get mad at myself every time I look at it. I am not a believer in relic'ing guitars so I would never have done this on purpose. My brief oversight is costing me the value of a great guitar. Re-finishing would be stupid, but I don't know what to do. Have I destroyed a fine guitar??

2. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

If it sounds OK it is OK .

tah1962, brogh, Dismalhead and 3 others like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Just play it, brother.
    It’s not ruined, it’s just a little relic-ed.
    If it looks too bad to you, just play it at home.
    If it drives you nuts, give it to a deserving school/kid/friend.
    Stuff happens all the time.
    The world will keep turning.

tah1962, brogh, Jakedog and 5 others like this.
  4. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It’s one of a kind, look at it that way. Even if someone else did exactly the same thing, the checking would be different.
    For all you know, it could’ve just gained a ton of mojo.
    Make great music with it. When you’re famous, you can tell the story onstage:p

tery likes this.
  5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I put a Kahler trem on my brand new SG back in the '80s. It was a rare Gibson Silver Sky color. Within six months the entire finish on the face of the guitar had shattered into little squares like a windshield. I refinished it, and now regret ever having changed it.

Just to add to the pain, mint Silver Sky SGs go for around $7K now.

Leave it be, love it for how it plays. If the finish bothers you too much in the long run, sell it as-is, eat the difference, and buy another.

6. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

Get a hair dryer and try putting some heat on it, try it on the back first and see if the checking goes away. First watch this video. At about the 5 minute mark he is purposefully heating his gold top les paul with a hair dryer then spraying it with condensed air. This causes the finish to check. But something interesting happens when he hits the checked area with heat again... the checking disappears. This is probably a long shot but maybe it will work with your guitar. Can't hurt to try it. Good luck.

Dismalhead likes this.
  7. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

Personally, I think checking looks cool and adds character. As said above, it’s a one-of-a-kind now. If it otherwise plays and sounds just like it always did, I’d roll with it. I know you said you don’t like relics, but keep in mind that lots of people do that to their nitro guitars on purpose, or try to.

8trackmind likes this.
  8. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Life happens. When our guitars go with us, they rarely remain unscathed.
    On the bright side, the last guitar I left in a car overnight was stolen.

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

as stated life happens but it creates its own mojo , my 78' strat is in near mint factory condition (I even had Dan erliwine rewire the original pickguard back to factory spec for that time, using all the original parts) any who I digress , so on my 42 year old guitar there is an almost near invisable scratch on the front caused when my 8 lb Golden Tegu lizard decided to use my strat as a ladder to get to the window sill to bask. after the shock set in and passed its just a piece of cool mojo history for that guitar.

Fretting out and Jakedog like this.
  10. bls82261

bls82261 TDPRI Member

It's not relic if it comes by the wear honestly. Just a great guitar with a "checkered" past.

11. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you really want it to look right, hang it in a small room with no windows or ventilation. Go in there every day and smoke two packs of cigarettes. Do this for about ten years, and your guitar will look the way all of ours used to.

24 track, Fretting out and brogh like this.
  12. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    can we see a pic ?

I wouldn't worry that much if the gutar is playing fine :)

13. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Yes a picture would be great, I find these things usually are blown out of proportion by the owner in a state of shock and are rarely actually that bad

14. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

The pain is in your head, and what goes on in your head should be under your control.
    I.e., the pain is unnecessary and caused by illusions that can be easily let go of, and so away goes the pain.
    Let go of the illusions, and the pain immediately disappears.
    Hold tightly to illusions, and they can cause one great (and unnecessary) suffering.

The illusions:
    The assumption that all material objects remain 'as new'.
    This is not true, everything ages and it is part of life and perfectly normal.
    The 'monetary value' of an object is More Important than the Function of the object Itself.
    This is not true, as monetary values go up and down all the time.
    And are presupposed on there being a market that will buy your object to begin with.
    Which is not always the case.
    As opposed to the playability (the function) of the object remaining consistent.
    And continuously offering you various musical horizons and possibilities to expand your talents.

What's more important to you, evolving your musical skills or the floating value of an object?
    Even your children get dinged and danged as they grow, does that make them worth less?
    Grab the steering wheel and Reclaim your mind, your mind will thank you for releasing the pain of unnecessary suffering.

jz63 likes this.
  15. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

I can't believe what happened. Based on the hair dryer suggestion, I decided to try something similar. I put the guitar in my car one sunny spring day and, after carefully monitoring the situation to prevent any heat damage, I succeeded in making the cracks virtually disappear. There is still a little cracking but very difficult to find. Strange but true.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.