1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So long, Hammerin' Hank.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by buster poser, Jan 22, 2021.

1. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I am not a Braves fan, but I have an autographed version of his most famous home run, it's a multi-exposure shot of Al's pitch, and then Hank touching all four, including the loons who came out as he rounded 2nd (iirc, the frame's broken and it's currently in a poster tube).

What a player and life, from hitting bottlecaps to the Negro Leagues, to eclipsing the Babe. Rest in Peace, sir.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/br...mer-city-official/JXDCLYDFFVHNPC2KRNX2KBKIEM/

2. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

A baseball and Milwaukee sports legend. About as close to a god in sports as there can be.

Unfortunately I’m too young to have seen him play, but you can just feel his influence around the Brewers organization. I’m sure that’s true for Atlanta folks as well. What a superstar.

RIP

3. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

So long . . .

DougM and buster poser like this.
  4. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Leading by example-way to go, Hank!

Tall-Fir, DougM, Deeve and 1 other person like this.
  5. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Whenever I am in a situation where I am assigned a number, like on a team, I always wear #44 in honor of Hank. And Reggie. And Willie McC.

I wish more role models would emulate Hank's style.

6. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I'm waiting for GetBent to weigh in.

7. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    He made 44 THE number to have in my Little League.

I saw him hit at least 10 and maybe 12 homeruns.

8. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

One of the greats... My favorite anecdote about Hank was that when he reported to the minors, the first day, the manager discovered he was hitting crosshanded... after a correction, Hank always claimed it is what gave him such strong wrists.

We were all so lucky, those who got to witness his greatness.

Tall-Fir, Lawdawg, Bluesboy3 and 10 others like this.
  9. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oh, MAN. He was my hero. My dad took me to innumerable Braves games, and I still remember how absolutely thrilling it was when he broke Babe Ruth's record. And he was a class act all the way down.

Sigh. If anybody needs me I'll be over here in the corner, being old.

Tall-Fir, Lawdawg, DougM and 7 others like this.
  10. buster poser

Love that story, think I first heard it in Burns's 'Baseball.' The man defined "quiet dignity."

Tall-Fir, DougM, Deeve and 1 other person like this.
  11. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

A great ambassador and an incredible ball player (without steroids or modern weight training).
    I was a Yankee's fan in the late 50s and 60s (pre-Steinbrenner) but the Braves were my second favorite team: Aaron, Mathews, Crandall, Spahn, Burdette, Covington, Adcock, etc.
    Thinking of what he dealt with as he approached Ruth's record at the time with courage, grace and humility.

12. acoustic rob

acoustic rob Tele-Holic

An average season for him was .305/.374/.555 with 37 home runs and 113 RBIs. For most players in the pitching-dominated '60s that would be a career year.

He did it every year for 23 years.

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

by junior high, I had a copy of Ted Williams' The Science of Hitting (banned by all of my coaches all the way through high school) and worked on Ted's concepts with my best friend, chanting the mantra of my high school coach 'chop wood' while trying to perfect the gentle upswing... carefully adjusting knuckles for every little advantage...

Fast Forward to 'finish high hitting' and all the amazing stuff they teach kids now. My son's hitting coach taught us the whole new vernacular... and it does take kids who maybe would be below average or average hitters and increases power etc, but, without the talent of a Hank Aaron, even with the same work ethic, that kind of great only happens once in awhile.

My brother sponsored a baseball camp for his key customers and some rich dudes where they spent like 3 days 'playin with the greats' which included Bob Gibson, Hank, and some lesser names but guys that were my brothers favorites... They got paid and were happy enough, but my bro and I both thought it was bs that they needed the cash. They were happy to get the gig, but pissed too... It was before big money.

Tall-Fir, Lawdawg, DougM and 3 others like this.
  14. buster poser

Indeed, and if you throw out his first season and final two, it looks even better. What's insane to me is that the guy just hit everything. Didn't walk alot, didn't strike out much either, just lots of hard contact... nearly as many doubles as HRs.

acoustic rob, Tall-Fir and DougM like this.
  15. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

They don’t make ‘em like Hammerin’ Hank anymore.

16. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Someone whom I admired as a player and human being. I saw him play the Giants and the Astros. Thank you sir for those memories. RIP, baseball has lost someone special.

Tall-Fir, DougM and buster poser like this.
  17. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A player with few peers. A good man. Rest in Peace, Mr. Aaron.
    :cry:

Tall-Fir and DougM like this.
  18. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

R.I.P. Hank. :(

19. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I've mentioned before that I was born into a Yankees family, and the Yankees have always been my team. But when I was a little kid I was very enthralled with Hank Aaron and his pursuit of Babe Ruth's home run record. It just seemed to make Hank larger than life, since Babe Ruth was a larger than life character in my young imagination.

As a kid we'd go to one Yankees game a year, and my brother and I were allowed to pick out one souvenir each. We got to see the Brewers play at Yankee stadium in Hank's last year in MLB. I bought a Brewers hat, which was pretty much sacrilegious where I came from. I remember writing "Aaron 44" in magic marker on the inside hat band like we all did with our little league hats. I'd parade my hat around the second grade playground showing everyone the inscription, saying that I must have gotten one of Hank's used game worn hats at the souvenir stand. At Yankee Stadium. I must have gone to second grade with a jaded bunch, since none of them bought my story. Even I eventually gave up pretending.

I went back to wearing a Yankees hat after that summer, but I kept that Brewers hat far longer than any of my other souvenirs from that era.

20. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

A personal hero of mine.

Rest in peace, Hank.

You made me a better person. Thank you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.