1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So just how cheap were Fender offsets before they became popular?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Daddy Hojo, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

In about 1965 I purchased a brand new Duo-Sonic with case for $200.00. Traded it in on a new Gibson ES-330TDC with case in 1966, price was $400.00. Still have the Gibson.
    Didn't own another Fender until last year.

2. tubedude

tubedude TDPRI Member

Still are.

3. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Don't tell anyone otherwise - it keeps the price down for me! Love the short-scales models!

4. decibel

decibel TDPRI Member

Yeah that's valid about the amps.

Regarding necks, you can spec out an awesome neck to your preferences then have Danocaster (or whomever) age it. Feels even better than a vintage neck. So you get a great feeling neck on a modern guitar. I really like going this route. When I build my own guitars I usually leave the neck unfinished or an oil coating. These feel great compared to the heavy finish on factory necks.

5. Frankentronics

Frankentronics TDPRI Member

I bought a used Fender Bullet around 1987, or so and I believe I paid about $200 or $250.

6. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

USA made guitars were never cheap in London, from the early '80's when I started playing, any Fender, Gibson, Gretsch or Rickenbacker was expensive new or used, even private sales.

Fender Offsets were popular with the early '80's original Post New Wave / Alternative Indie bands, such as Echo & the Bunnymen, Orange Juice, Hurrah!, Cocteau Twins & The Cure.

By the mid '80's many of the C86 era Indie bands were playing Jaguars & Jazzmasters, Mighty Lemon Drops, Spacemen 3 / Spiritualzed,Lush, House of Love, Felt, Ride & the the Creation label bands ect.

Probably more importantly from mid '85 we had CIJ / MIJ Japanese Jaguars & Jazzmasters imports brand new in the shops. Most bands who used Offset Fenders had Japan made models. USA Originals were rare & expensive.

All way before grunge happened........!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    oldfish likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.