1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So just how cheap were Fender offsets before they became popular?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Daddy Hojo, Oct 1, 2020.

1. fofomomo

fofomomo TDPRI Member

This sounds correct to me, like the few I saw in Canada would have been $1200 at the exchange rate back then, that feels like the prices I saw, and I went "oh man, that's so much for a guitar" - that's the thing back then you have to remember too, all the people who were INTO these guitars were young and broke, and not pushing the prices up.

jonnyfez likes this.
  2. decibel

decibel TDPRI Member

Yes, they were about $250 for a Jazzmaster in the 80s. They exploded with grunge/alt rock.

What's funny is I despite the prices I still think vintage guitars are inferior instruments, and I'd rather buy a new guitar with much better fretwork, radius, etc. The only thing you're missing in an old guitar is the natural degausing of the pickups, which takes off a little high end, but you can easily simulate that using your amp's treble, changing pots, etc (or even try to do it with a magnet if you're brave). Modern guitars are so much better. I've had a bunch of high end vintage, and I always turn around and flip it, then invest into something new/better. Some old things are better, but guitars aren't one of them. What's also funny is vintage amps are much better than modern amps (at least in terms of Fenders), and they seem to lag in appreciation, so the value lies there, IMO.

I kept my '62 Princeton, but ditched my 50s Gibsons, 60s Fenders, etc for better guitars.

3. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

Jaguars and Jazzmasters were the Fender flagships in the early to mid 1960's. That is because of the popularity of surf music at the time. Stratocasters and Telecasters were sort of the second tier followed by Mustangs and Musicmasters. When the British Invasion hit, Fenders sort of lost their popularity to Gretsch Country Gentlemen, Rickenbacker 360's and Gibson 335's. Jimi Hendrix brought Fenders back into mainstream with the Stratocasters.

Each era saw the rise and decline of certain models bases on the popularity of new bands and what they were playing.

4. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

I was living in Montreal, and pre-grunge era, you could barely find used Fender offsets anywhere. No because they were super popular, but because shops were choked with Jacksons, Charvels, Kramers, and various other shredder superstrats. The more neon, the better.

The ones you could find were usually shunned away to the corner, and sales people would do everything they could to steer you away from them as "junk used guitars." I don't remember any of them being more than a few hundred Canadian. Strats and Teles commanded decent prices, but the offsets were just considered junk from what I remember.

5. TwangBrain

TwangBrain Tele-Meister

I recall a 1964 Jaguar I was into in a local guitar shop when I was a teen (around '89-'90) in Indianapolis, I think it was priced at around $350-. Seeing nice old guitars f/s in pawn shops and music shops around Indy at the time was rare, as the boomers were buying it all up when they saw it. However, it was the golden era of weird Japanese offset guitars for anywhere from $20-$150 nearly everywhere you went!

6. bodevelho

bodevelho Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I think its a mistake lumping mustangs and musicmasters in with the other offsets, while technically they are "offsets" they were really the "beginner" instruments in the line, Fender's melody makers or SG Jr's if you will. The first offset I ever saw was being played by a union musician in the pit at a car show in the late 60s, white Jag if I recall. The next offset I saw was in a pawnshop on the outskirts of an Army base, a SB JM going for $400 in 1976. Nobody wanted them and when everybody saw the Elvis Costello album we all thought the JM was a prop.

7. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I got a 66 mustang for 100.00 back in 1986.

8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I remember seeing jaguars with a price tag in the catalog of 800.00 + going for and i have bought 2 one was 250.00 the other was 179.00 canuck at the time.
    Mustangs were about 150.00 , I never had an interest in jazzmasters at all
    I got a gibson EB3L for 125.00, a rickenbacker 4001 for 150.00, a 60's tele and blackface super for 300.00 for the pair , a black face bassman for 250 with the 2X12 slant cab my 70's norlin era SG ebont fretboard fretless wonder for 100.00 , Mini moog model D 1200.00 which i sold 6 years later for 1800.00

I had to give up after all that as I had too much gear

9. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

The Fender Duosonics are cool, but don't know what the big deal is about Jazzmasters and Jaguars. Weird slider switches, funky tremelo bridges and one trick pickups. Just say no!

10. dasherf17

dasherf17 TDPRI Member

25 mi SE of Rogers (South Minneapolis)...
    I bought my pre-bs Jazz for $60 in '89.
    off topic a bit, but my '68 Les Paul Deluxe was $275 in '71...
    I saw a Jazz in Willie's American for mid-$3000 a few years ago. I miss that guitar...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  11. Hounded Dog

Hounded Dog TDPRI Member

It wasn't just offset bodies. Any guitar that wasn't totally mainstream was cheap. I ran through Mustangs and Duo Sonics during the early eighties to such an extent that I forgot about a worn out Musicmaster at my Mom's house. I only found it when I inherited everything a few years ago. It's in a sixties case. I still don't know what to do with it.

12. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Play it?

13. fofomomo

fofomomo TDPRI Member

It's really really interesting that easily over half of the comment here are people who modded those guitars or painted them or bought them refinished etc etc. And yet everyone you see for sale now is all original, all original paint job, all original parts, etc hahaha hmmmmm

carpenter likes this.
  14. fofomomo

fofomomo TDPRI Member

I read this as $10,000, then realized my mistake, then I came back to this thread an hour later, and I read it as $10,000 again

carpenter likes this.
  15. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

Actually the buyers from Japan helped push up the vintage guitar market. They all wanted American made guitars. My brother lives in Japan, and he has a japanese guitar. All his Japanese friends have American made instruments.

Boreas likes this.
  16. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

I feel the sort of the opposite, haha. I think I agree with you in that some guitars are just too old, too screwed up. but nothing feels to me as good as a nitro neck that's been worn in (the rest of the guitar, I don't really care). It's a shame in Fender land with super heavy poly finishes and tighter radii, but elsewhere I think there's a good compromise if you don't go too far into the past (70s+ gibsons, guilds, etc). on the other hand with amps, i'd rather just build something or have something built that's dialed in value wise to sound good, wired easily enough for anyone to work on, and that i don't have to worry about messing with, don't have to worry as much about certain types of failures, and no headaches about blowing original transformers or reconing speakers.

decibel likes this.
  17. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It came with the case too. In my avatar . Nephew has it now.

18. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

nice work.

chi chi 1.jpg

Peegoo likes this.
  19. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Dick '68.jpg Late 70s I bought a shell pink Jaguar at a flea market for $35. Late 60s I bought a Les Paul/SG at a pawn shop in Hudson, NY, for $20.
    Swapped a fake sabretooth tiger tooth necklace on a rawhide lanyard for a '65 Mustang in the late 60s. Here is a pic of me playing that Mustang, right after I switched to playing righty.
    Late 80s, I bought a '67 P-bass sunburst for $185, and a '70s Tele Custom for the same price at the same place (SA)
    Bought a SFTR for $90. Guy said she no work. Got it home,plugged it in. She work!
    Early 90s bought a '74 P bass at a music store in Canarsie for $185.
    Worst move I ever made? Swapped my original 50s Broadcaster straight up for a late 60s SG Custom. This was around '72. Dumb dumb dumb.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Telecaster88 likes this.
  20. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yep, that made acquiring vintage instruments in the states nearly unaffordable. Now eBay is full of Japanese sellers trying to sell American guitars at twice the going rate here. Their asking prices make no sense in today's market. I hope no one is buying them in the US.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.