1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So just how cheap were Fender offsets before they became popular?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Daddy Hojo, Oct 1, 2020.

1. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Generally though pre-2000's wasn't used and vintage gear much cheaper in general? I had a shop owner tell me one time that things didn't really skyrocket until people started buying them as investment pieces in the 2000's. Still, for vintage Fenders Jags and Jazz's are on the lower end of the totem pole.

But yeah, a lot of vintage guitars that are valuable right now were only popular because they were cheap. Kurt Cobain played Univox Hi Flyers because they were $100 and he could smash them. Not because they were good guitars.

2. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

upload_2020-10-1_19-53-13.jpeg

(I know what you mean, but it’s still funny)

maz96, Gevalt, brookdalebill and 4 others like this.
  3. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

As I recall it, prices for vintage US instruments started soaring in the late 80s/early 90s when Japanese collectors, buoyed by a strong yen, began coming to the US and buying up every vintage guitar they could find. That particular boom ended when the yen crashed, but prices didn't really drop either.

Fiesta Red, beyer160 and Boreas like this.
  4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I would say even earlier than that; I started playing in 1979 and the vintage market was already around for certain things - specifically LP Bursts were starting to get up there, as were pre-CBS Teles and Strats (particularly custom color ones) and dot-neck 335s. Other things were still quite reasonable - 60s SGs, block-neck 335s, Jazzmasters, Jaguars, 65-68 CBS-era Strats and Teles, Gretschs and Rickenbackers for example could be had pretty cheaply until the mid-to-late 80s (call it 85-87) before their prices really took off. A lot of it depended on where you lived and if they had a vintage guitar dealer/market - I grew up in Louisville KY and we had a good-sized vintage dealer there which kind of drove up the local market.

5. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

Damn! If only I'd seen that photo when I was 16 I'd have that pre-CBS Jazzmaster today))

Telecaster88 likes this.
  6. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

been buying selling guitars since1979 in the uk and us guitars have always held there money:twisted:

trancedental and Omiewise65 like this.
  7. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch TDPRI Member

Heck, in 1999 a buddy bought a ‘64 Jag refin from Elderly Instruments for $600, and I bought a refin ‘65 Mustang for $300, and that was well behind the curve on them becoming “cool”.

8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I had an early 70's Mustang exactly like this one. I bought it in 1986 for (if I remember correctly) around $250 with a Fender hard case.

[​IMG]

maz96, Telecaster88 and xtelesquirex like this.
  9. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

And Tom Verlaine

But they were still relatively cheap well into the '80s and '90s.

brookdalebill, erratick and JRapp like this.
  10. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

Wasnt just offsets, it was other stuff too. I remember well a pawnshop here in my city, had two cherry red early/mid 60s ES-330s, each for 500.00. That would have been about 1988-89, and even adjusted for inflation thats a little over 1000.00.

11. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I bought a 66 Mustang in 1982 for $150. Even up into the early 90s you could get a vintage pre-CBS Jazzmaster for $800.

12. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Meister

I read this thread about how cheap the unpopular Fender models were, but what most people don't seem to realize that the popular guitars weren't that "expensive" either. My friend had a 1970's Gibson ES 335 that he bought for $400 in the 1990's. You could find a U.S. made 1970's strat for less than $500 no problem back then. It was easy, everyone thought they were garbage. In the 1990's I bought a 1974 Les Paul Custom for $500 that's pictured here. Back in the 1980's a 1969 Stratocaster was about $1500 tops.

notroHnhoJ likes this.
  13. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

When I was young (school days in the 50’s through mid 60’s) no one was playing LP’s in rock and roll bands. Sales were so bad that they quit making them in the early 60’s and came out with a completely different guitar named the Les Paul, later renamed the SG.

14. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Brand new the jazzmaster and jaguar were meant to be the top of the line guitars for Fender. They were apparently ahead of their time, and had short lived popularity. I’ve heated stories of them sitting in shops for years untouched until some big name in punk/shoegaze etc found it and took it home for pennies.

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

My favorite Kurt Cobain quote regarding the Mustang:

Cobain: "Whoever invented that guitar was a dork."

GUITAR WORLD: "It was Leo Fender.'

Cobain: "I guess I’m calling Leo Fender, the dead guy, a dork. Now I’ll never get an endorsement. [laughs] We’ve been offered a Gibson endorsement, but I can’t find a Gibson I like."

16. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

The thing is about Fender guitars, is that they are increasingly over engineered. Each groundbreaking iteration of guitar was that much more over designed. I dont think Kurt is entirely wrong in his opinion.

17. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

In the mid 70s I bought a '68 Tele for $130 at a pawn shop. Sold it for $190 around 1979. I remember a pre-CBS Strat at a guitar shop in Berkeley that was going for $300 in about '76 or '77. It seemed like a lot of money for a fairly beat up guitar at the time. I was just a kid-- I paid for the Tele with money I earned from delivering the Berkeley Gazette on a paper route. I had something like 150 newspapers to deliver every single damn day. Before that I had an Aria 335-ish copy, a horrible green sunburst color, that I bought for $60. I wish I still had that Aria today.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  18. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

In 1987 or so, there was a partially-disassembled Mustang in natural finish that was hanging at the town pawn shop. It was up for $300 or $450, I can't recall exactly (scary to think how long ago that was...), and I lusted after it because it was a better guitar than the one my grandfather loaned me, and it was within a summer's worth of work if my parents would let me keep the money. There are various reasons that aren't allowed to be discussed here that I found it difficult to get a summer job on one of the big town farms as a 16/17 year-old in that region of the country, and the guitar was gone within 3 weeks anyway, so no Mustang for me.

Thinking back on it now, that was an exorbitant price in 1987 dollars for a used and incomplete guitar, so maybe it was for the best. The Ovation Breadwinner and Mesa/Boogie Mark IIc that I could have gotten for $600 as a bundle in 1991 if only the guitar shop would have extended me the layaway credit has bothered me ever since...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  19. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I firmly believe that the whole vintage guitar market was created by a few hoarders, Gruhn in particular, who had priceless exposure for his income generating rhetoric in his column in Guitar Player magazine, which at that time was the bible on all things guitar related. I remember a particular column where he spoke of Clapton asking him to find him a Jazzmaster, and how he saw dollar signs, hoping that if Eric were seen with one, then he could make a killing buying up used ones and selling them at a huge profit. Unfortunately for greedy George, Eric changed his mind, and decided he didn't want a Jazzmaster after all, and Gruhn was stuck with all the ones he had hoarded. What a big DB!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Gevalt, Bob M and brookdalebill like this.
  20. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

At college in 74, I could have bought a Mustang for $75. I passed. Almost as bad a decision as passing on a Junior for $200 two years earlier.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.