So jumping the queue is considered to be rude but does that also apply when it's by phone?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Okay, let's be honest, this crazy time we're going through notwithstanding, we all have learned that you shouldn't jump the queue as it it a rude thing to do.

Today I found myself in my regular music shop to place an order for one of THESE.
    [​IMG]
    I walked in, stated my business and then the phone rang and I was told "Just a minute."

That call ended and before I had a chance to continue another came in "Ah, hold on."

About 45 minutes later that second call was still going and when he finally got the deal with the caller done, looked around with a "Now what was I doing?" look on his face. So I went "Look I don't want to be impatient but I have other things to do today, can we finally get my order done?"

So, is this considered jumping the queue to you guys?
    Because it sure felt like that to me.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  2. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Sounds like you were more than patient and didn't jump any queues.

getbent and Bill Sheehan like this.
  3. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

The salesperson allowed the callers to jump the queue. Much better to say "I have a customer, can I call you back." Takes real fortitude though. Even more fortitude not to walk out the door and order from somewhere else.

4. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

People don't have to pick up the phone just because it's ringing, that's what I want to say...

Wallo Tweed, CCK1, nojazzhere and 4 others like this.
  5. Blazer

No, I wasn't jumping any queues but the callers to me felt like they were jumping the queue.

nojazzhere and fishermike like this.
  6. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

That is why answering machines were invented.
    If it were my place of business and a live customer was in the shop I’d deal with him/her first. A caller will call back.
    I, personally would have walked out and try to find someone else to order the guitar from.

7. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

THIS

I'd address the needs of an actual hooman in 3D format over a voice on the phone that may or may not actually show up to pick up.
    The customer IRL can give you cues in body language & facial expression that lets you know if you're meeting their need and actually ready to go.

Peace - Deeve

nojazzhere and AAT65 like this.
  8. wrvond

wrvond Tele-Meister

I think I would have called and told the salesperson "you just lost a sure sale" on my way out the door.

nojazzhere, fishermike and voskarp like this.
  9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

After 5 minutes I would have walked out, never to return.

nojazzhere and fishermike like this.
  10. Blazer

Well the one good thing is that that lovely blue Gretsch is heading my way. And I can indulge in my fantasy of being Brian Setzer.

Blue Bill and CCK1 like this.
  11. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

:lol:

ce24 likes this.
  12. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

I was thinking the same thing. What model is it?

13. Blazer

It's a G2420 in Riviera Blue

I was going to order one in Gold but when I saw the Blue version I went "Nope, this one is way prettier!"

14. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Sweetwater

wrvond likes this.
  15. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

A person on the telephone is probably a customer too. So he/she can wait his/her turn in the queue as well. I don't know how this skewed phone priority came about but it's been like it since I can remember. :mad:

nojazzhere and AAT65 like this.
  16. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was told many years ago when I was in sales that if you are face to face with a customer and the phone rings - you ignore the phone. If you answer the phone, you are telling your customer that the phone call is more important than they are.

17. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Exactly. Don’t blame the customer on the other end of the phone — blame the salesperson. It is not uncommon behaviour but it’s very rude indeed.
    @Blazer — congrats on the incoming new guitar! Can’t argue with your choice of blue over gold either...

18. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Phones have leave message capability. I'm out the door after making sure they know why!

Blue Bill and nojazzhere like this.
  19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

A hundred years ago, when I was in retail sales, we (and other stores as well) were instructed to answer the phone immediately. The rational (which I totally dislike) is that the face to face customer is THERE, and unlikely to just walk away. The person on the phone, if they don't get answered, will likely call another store.....thus a sale is lost. I've been that face to face customer, and when this happens to me, I politely ask the clerk to ask them to hold, deal with me, and then answer the phone questions. The clerks don't like that, but I don't care. Once or twice, I have simply walked away, and once I had time, so I complained to the store manager. They were very apologetic, but I still didn't buy anything. They said they would correct the practice, but I bet nothing changed. There's a reason why telephone ringers are so "insistent" and annoying. Change those, and what you experienced MIGHT change. (but I doubt it)

20. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Meister

Seems to happen too often.Batteries and Lights is the worst.Walked in to buy a couple things off the shelf.Stood there 20 mins while the clerk special ordered something for another person.Put things down and walked out.Dang! I just wanted to pay and leave.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.