1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So I'm tempted...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tshoe71, Dec 17, 2020.

1. tshoe71

tshoe71 TDPRI Member

Right now I'm enjoying the 1st 48 hours I've had with my new Tone Master Twin Reverb and I love everything about it BUT...before I bought the Tone Master, I had ordered one of the Bassbreaker 15's. Well it just arrived. I have every intention of returning it given how happy I am with the TM...thing is...I'm highly tempted to open up the Bassbreaker and check it out.

I've never played an actual tube amp before. What if I like it as much as the TM? What if I find I like it even more than the TM? What if I like them both?!?! <face_palm> Will I regret sending it back without at least giving it a shot?

What do you guys think...open it and maybe open Pandora's box OR keep it sealed up and resist temptation?

-Shoe

2. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

some of life's biggest regrets are the things we never did

Stubee, AlbertaGriff, matrix and 2 others like this.
  3. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

IMG_1827.JPG

SheldonP likes this.
  4. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

I think you should try it, I mean, it's right there...

I'm a bad influence however :twisted:

tshoe71 likes this.
  5. natec

natec Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If you don't open it... both statements are simultaneously true:

You like the TM more than the BB.
    You like the BB more than the TM.

With apologies to Schrodinger.

buster poser likes this.
  6. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

If you like it I’d say keep them both. :D

tshoe71 likes this.
  7. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Afflicted

One word: Stereo ;)

William Pugh and tshoe71 like this.
  8. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

bass breaker is just waaaaay to heavy and doesn't sound any better imao

9. tshoe71

tshoe71 TDPRI Member

I completely and fully expected these comments! Staying with only one guitar and one amp I can see is gonna be harder than I thought! Should be interesting to compare them as they seem apples and oranges to me. And <facepalm> I can seeing me keeping them both.

10. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

11. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

Bassbreaker 15 is a cool little amp from what I gather. IMHO with the tone master i’d rather just have an emulation and run DI. And most of the tube amps I see in backlines are SF twins and deluxes. They don’t have mid heavy cathode biased 15 watters.

12. tshoe71

tshoe71 TDPRI Member

Well I tried the Bassbreaker...

I've only been playing for about a year now so please take my impressions as very much still a novice, but for me the TM is it.

The Bassbreaker:
    -Feels twice as heavy as my TM
    -The smaller cabinet, perhaps the speaker as well made the sound muffled, the highs not as airy and clean as the TM.
    -The Medium Structure setting I really liked. The midrange I really enjoyed. To me it was the perfect AC/DC esque sound.
    -I'd never played a tube amp before, but I definitely felt a sense of smoothness of sound in the amp relative to the TM.

I'm glad I got it out and gave it a shot. If nothing else I learned more about the sound/tone I'm after. I'm more of a country, blues (B.B. King) player and so super clear highs are more to my style than midrange or bass. I like harder country music and for sure AC/DC, Van Halen etc as well. I think the TM gives me the sound I really want although I imagine I'll start learning more about pedals and add a few to to give me some more gain to the TM.

I appreciate that most of you "assisted" me with doing the inevitable.

-Shoe

13. Got Twang

Got Twang TDPRI Member

And his cat.

I actually sold my Bassbreaker 15 and bought a SuperChamp X2. The Bassbreaker was too British sounding for me, and I prefer 6V6's.

14. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

Keep both and buy a few more guitars. Its the only solution.

15. Siamese

Siamese TDPRI Member

My hand-wired clone of a 1957 Tweed Deluxe could be an eye opener (ear opener?) for you. Right now, I'm waiting for a dealer to ship my new to me, hand-wired Swart Mod 84. 15 watts of EL84 goodness through a Celestion Gold.

Gee, I sound like a tube snob. I've tried to like solid state. I was in marketing with Gibson back when they came out with the Lab Series amps. I've been trying solid state and modeling amps ever since, but have yet to find anything with the magic that comes from a good tube amp. Have to admit, I haven't tried a Kemper or similar yet.

Old tube amps continue to worth $'s, while a gadget like a Kemper or Line 6 tend to lose their value as soon as the new gadget is introduced. That may not be a reason for avoiding them, but the concept bugs me.

Tube amps have can be more prone to problems than solid state, so for a gigging musician, solid state has it's advantages. As does going DI from a Kemper or Hx Stomp, etc..

For me though, following the credo of YOLO, I'm sticking with tubes. Oh, the joy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.