So I'm playing my Tele with a Compressor - is this normal?

Witcher

Tele-Meister
I'm new to Tele's, so please let me know if this is a thing.

Signal Chain: Tele > Modtone Lemon Comp > Marshall VS100R Clean channel
- Reasonable amount of reverb

Anyway - the sound is just OMG! I'm loving it!!!

I have never played anything (mostly dual HB LP styles) where I just wanted to play clean with some squash going on. But on this thing (Tele) it just sounds right!

Is a Tele + a Compressor a thing???
yep, as far as I'm concerned, Tele + Compression is a thing. Ever since I really learned up about compressors and how to use them, I have never gone without one. There's one on every board, and I'm even thinking of running 2, with different comp profiles (one for squish, one for "just nice" consistency), with only one on at any one time.

Butch Snyder

Tele-Afflicted
Howdy Aceman, I think I know you from another forum. :cool: I won't add much as you have already gotten a bazillion replies. I only play Telecasters and my comp is always on. It's set for subtle compression so I don't squash too much; but I do get the effect as needed.

SpaceAceman

Tele-Meister
Howdy Aceman, I think I know you from another forum. :cool: I won't add much as you have already gotten a bazillion replies. I only play Telecasters and my comp is always on. It's set for subtle compression so I don't squash too much; but I do get the effect as needed.
Why yes Butch - yes you do...

I've been experimenting a little with high squash and Hexatonic scales the past weekend, for obvious reasons.

- The comp gets a little noisy, but for $35, oh well.
- That said - YEEE HAWWWWW!!!!!

Back to my regular mild compression though.

telepraise

Tele-Afflicted
Yes for me. I would occasionally get loud unexpected spikes. In any other genre that could fly, but in praise and worship it's unacceptable. I use a Wampler Ego with the attack at 12:00, no sustain, and blend set at 50%. Definitely adds some magic pixie dust without sounding squished.

Butch Snyder

Tele-Afflicted
Why yes Butch - yes you do...

I've been experimenting a little with high squash and Hexatonic scales the past weekend, for obvious reasons.

- The comp gets a little noisy, but for $35, oh well.
- That said - YEEE HAWWWWW!!!!!

Back to my regular mild compression though.
I have found that the less expensive compressors do tend to be noisy. My first one was a little Danelectro Surf-n-Turf. Not bad, but when I decided to use on 100% of the time, I knew I needed to spend more. I have a few.

1. Marshall ED-1: nice clean compressor
2. Visual Sound Route 66 v2: OD and comp in one box. Very nice comp too
3. BOSS ME-50: This is a multi-effects unit that has a compressor in it. I now use it exclusively.

Mur

Friend of Leo's
Yeah, compressor is super common with Tele ..or any electric. That said, me personally, I just plug straight into amp.

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
As so many have already said, absolutely. And even when the player isn't using a pedal compressor, the engineer, etc. are likely to compress the guitar anyway. The kind of explosive twang a Tele generates is not going to survive in its full range in a recording.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Down the compressor rabbit hole you go!
My personal evolution was:
- Some cheap Rogue thing some guy gave me (Musician's Friend house brand) worth about $25
- Boss CS-3 (used $60)
- Keely Compressor + (new $120)
- Wampler Ego (new $200)

This was over a 8 year stretch.
The Ego changed my world. Simply amazing. Worth every penny. Far and above the others.

Next will be a Origin Effects Cali76 ($360 new) ..... maybe someday, cause for now, I'm really digging the Wampler Ego.

I went from a Behringer Compressor straight to a 4 knob Keeley in a 3 month span, lol. I only just started playing in Dec 2019. The first year, I didn't really get into pedals. I had a Mustang II w/ effects. When I got my tube amp, that's when it started. I tested the waters with the Behringer and then went straight for the Keeley. Oddly enough, I bought another cheap compressor after the Keeley. I forget who makes it but it's an, optical compressor and I wanted to see how those sounded, so I picked up an inexpensive one of those, also. Might be an Azor/Azur or something? It's orange and a mini pedal.

Edit: that's what it is. It's an Azur "Ultimate Compressor"

Screenshot_20220119-040943_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:

Burn Yesterday

Tele-Meister
I never pick up a guitar or a bass without plugging in into a DBX163x. Plinky just doesn't do it for me. The Madbean Afterlife is lovely too, if you give it a little pre-gain, as is the Keeley Limiting Amplifier, which is a little hard to turn down subtle.