So I'm playing my Tele with a Compressor - is this normal?

SpaceAceman

Tele-Meister
I'm new to Tele's, so please let me know if this is a thing.

Signal Chain: Tele > Modtone Lemon Comp > Marshall VS100R Clean channel
- Reasonable amount of reverb

Anyway - the sound is just OMG! I'm loving it!!!

I have never played anything (mostly dual HB LP styles) where I just wanted to play clean with some squash going on. But on this thing (Tele) it just sounds right!

Is a Tele + a Compressor a thing???

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted

I have never played anything (mostly dual HB LP styles) where I just wanted to play clean with some squash going on. But on this thing (Tele) it just sounds right!

well..a tele is a thing

middy

Friend of Leo's

Yeah, it is. New Wave, funk, and country music all make heavy use of a compressed Telecaster.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire

I think what draws all of us to Telecaster is that we can create a very personal sound with it. I use an equalizer and delay. You've found your sound into a Marshall clean channel through a compressor. Good for you. That sound will keep you playing your Telecaster. But there's nothing wrong with a dual HB LP either. Hang around for a while and you'll find most of us talking about a variety of guitars. Maybe your next Tele will be an SH.

msalama

Tele-Holic
I usually play my Telecasters straight into a modded Super Twin - yah, they're horrible in stock condition, but this has been blackfaced with just 2 6L6s on - but do occasionally play clean with a dash of compression as well. And it IS a thing since it's actually one of the classic sounds!

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
I usually play my Telecasters straight into a modded Super Twin - yah, they're horrible in stock condition, but this has been blackfaced with just 2 6L6s on - but do occasionally play clean with a dash of compression as well. And it IS a thing since it's actually one of the classic sounds!
There is a Super Twin for sale locally for $450. I want a Twin but don't know much about them. Seems to be mixed reviews.

blue metalflake

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Certainly a very common set up. I prefer to just plug in direct, but if you’ve found your sound, enjoy it.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Be careful. Compression can be a serious addiction, just like chorus was in the 80s.

Just as with herbs and spices in cooking--effects taste best when used in moderation.

Read you loud and clear!
I stopped using compressors because it felt like I was cheating.
Sloppy fretting and iffy picking turned into beautiful commanding tones by a pedal... nope.. felt dishonest.

I could see myself using it to achieve exactly that compressed sound if I'm going for that effect for a certain part of a song,
but for general usage... it's a real slippery slope there!

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I run my compressor at such a low level, you'd struggle to know it was on. -I- know when it's off. Just a little, a soupcon if you will, adds a certain sparkle. Overdo it and it squashes the life from your sound.
On the all too rare occaisions I can really open an amp up, the natural compression of the power stage and speaker motor are lifted beautifully by a -barely- on compressor. To my ears. Ears which are mine, ie, not anyone elses.
Compressors and Telecasters go together.

KelvinS1965

Tele-Afflicted
Yup. I use an Xotic SP on the Low setting on all the time for clean sounds. Love it, sits perfectly in the mix but doesn't sound too squashed.

Same here, though I sometimes use the mid setting, but turn the blend knob back a bit. I play into a Marshall SC20 set clean when I'm playing with the band (have to use pedals for crunch/distortion).

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Read you loud and clear!
I stopped using compressors because it felt like I was cheating.
Sloppy fretting and iffy picking turned into beautiful commanding tones by a pedal... nope.. felt dishonest.

I could see myself using it to achieve exactly that compressed sound if I'm going for that effect for a certain part of a song,
but for general usage... it's a real slippery slope there!

well the amp is compressing, even clean, is that cheating too? taken to extremes, then the only form of not cheating is playing acoustic, haha.

i was recently learning some really distorted fast passages unplugged. playing with that much force/attack (for acoustic consistency) was slowing me down when it came time to play it amplified, where you couldn't distinguish a certain threshold of attack anyway with that much gain. it's not really economizing motion to be a hardass about it.

anyway, not saying one should play sloppy, but it's always a balancing act between effort in and sound out. there's nothing that says you still can't play accurately with the comp on. ideally it's just doing a little more of what the amp is doing for you, and you have to learn how to adjust to it, like you have to learn how to adust to dirt.

Last edited:

HandOfIke

Tele-Meister
I play my Tele nearly all the time through a Dyna Comp and love it.

I've got kinda 3 main settings for Funk Rhythm, Rockabilly and 'Heavier' stuff.... The only time I really turn it off is when high dynamic touch is called for, even then I can dial in some nice compression from time to time...

Dyna Comp and the bitting bridge pickup just sounds wonderful!

OlRedNeckHippy

Friend of Leo's
Down the compressor rabbit hole you go!
My personal evolution was:
- Some cheap Rogue thing some guy gave me (Musician's Friend house brand) worth about $25
- Boss CS-3 (used $60)
- Keely Compressor + (new $120)
- Wampler Ego (new $200)

This was over a 8 year stretch.
The Ego changed my world. Simply amazing. Worth every penny. Far and above the others.

Next will be a Origin Effects Cali76 ($360 new) ..... maybe someday, cause for now, I'm really digging the Wampler Ego.