So... I'm going to try it again. A LP Double cut or other...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mjr428, May 25, 2016.

1. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Tonight I finished the repair...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's not pretty, but it'll do the job. Now I can focus on the finish.

Rock-Ola likes this.
  2. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Great job!

3. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Thanks! I was going to just do a stain on the back (and I may still) but now I'm considering doing a burst to cover up all the messiness on the sides and edges... But I'm not to confident in my abilities to do a burst.

4. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

I've never done a burst either. I'm just getting to a point where my finishes are decent. Maybe next year for a burst..

5. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Today, I'm prepping for the finish.
    [​IMG]
    Steamed out all the various dents in the body and neck with good success. Sanded to 150 and filled any little holes... I'm going to attempt to grain fill the back and sides and finish sanding to 320. At that point, I think I'll glue the neck in...

6. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Changed my mind...
    [​IMG]
    Glued the neck in tonight. I had to fix the neck pocket because the body cupped and left too much wiggle room with the neck... After I fixed it, there's not enough room really for the glue... It was a bit of a struggle to get the neck set properly, but I think I got it.

7. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Here's another mock up...
    [​IMG]
    It's pretty rough, but I'm happy with how it turned out so far. Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to finish it. Not feeling very optimistic about this final stage...

guitarbuilder likes this.
  8. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Here we go...
    [​IMG]

9. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Hmmm... If it stays this color, then I think I'll be happy...
    [​IMG]

Captain Nutslot likes this.
  10. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Finished color...
    [​IMG]
    Not quite sure that was the color I was going for... I guess it'll do. I didn't expect it to darken up. Thought it would actually be lighter. I wonder if the poplar is giving it's pinkish hue?? We'll see how it looks when it's all polished up...

11. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

I'm up to about 3 coats of shellac...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The color turned out OK, but not what I was envisioning. I was going to stain the back, but I'm kinda feeling the natural look now. Not sure about the greenish tint on the poplar neck... But my tests with the walnut stain isn't giving me much confidence in going that route. Might just leave it. I can always paint the headstock still. Anyways, expecting a switch in the mail this week and I should be able to put this thing together this weekend!

12. soonerdude

soonerdude Tele-Meister

Fantastic work. Love the ingenuity you bring to the whole process.

13. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Thanks, I did learn a lot from this process... especially what not to do!

14. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Put the decal on last night...
    [​IMG]
    Simple little decal... I'm starting to get impatient, so I'm leaving as is. I just want to put it all together now and see how it plays. I still have to level the frets and crown them. Hopefully by the end of the weekend, I'll be able to play it! Probably more like middle of next week depending on my schedule.

15. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Leveled and crowned frets... I think
    [​IMG]
    I did a really poor job on the fretboard and or installing the frets. Had highs and lows all over the place. I think I finally got it leveled though. I don't have a crowning file so I had to use a triangular file. I think I finally got it, but I guess I'll find out when I string it up.

16. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

So, here it is...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All I have left to do is cut the nut slots and finish wiring her up! I'm a little concerned about the neck... Or should I say the fret board. It looks pretty wonky, but I'm hoping it'll play fine. The neck profile feels real good though, so I'm happy about that. Can't wait to finally get to play it! Hopefully it won't be a let down...

I_build_my_own, Deeve and Barncaster like this.
  17. GuitarNate

GuitarNate TDPRI Member

It looks great! Threads like this make me want to build a guitar someday. I'll probably start with a Partscaster.

18. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

And now, it's finally done and set up. After breaking in the strings, it plays alright. The neck feels really good, but have to get used to the short scale.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now as far as how it sounds... Acoustically, as good as you might expect for scrap wood. Doesn't seem to have a lot of resonance... And those $1.50 pickups... Well, something must have happened when I jammed the pickguard back on, because I was getting sound out of the pickups beforehand. The control cavity is pretty tight, so I may have knocked a wire loose or something. When I went to hook it up to my tuner, I wasn't getting a signal. Then hooked it up to the amp and got nothing. I'll have to trouble shoot it tomorrow, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it. It should be a fun little guitar and with it being kinda small, maybe one of my kids will take to it (or my wife). Thanks again to all the people on this forum who answered questions and/or gave advise and to all those who share their info so freely. It's given me the confidence to even take on a project like this and build it entirely from scratch.

willdubiel likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.