So... I'm going to try it again. A LP Double cut or other...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mjr428, May 25, 2016.

1. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Pulled a sanding bar out of a dumpster today...
    [​IMG]

I stopped by a local stone place after work and they were kind enough to allow me to pick out some scrap pieces. Now I'll be able to level the frets soon.

willdubiel and John Nicholas like this.
  2. willdubiel

willdubiel TDPRI Member

Fancy sanding block!

mjr428 likes this.
  3. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Thanks! Hope it works.... Lord knows these frets definitely need leveling.

4. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

I use an aluminum block much the same shape as your marbled magnificence. I have had good luck with it. The extra weight will help you I think, that way all you have to do is shuffle it back and forth, instead of also bearing down.

5. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Today, I didn't get a lot done, but I did finish up the last of the routing. At least with the body.

[​IMG]
    Cut a wire channel from the neck pick up to the control cavity. I was just going to drill a hole, but then I realized that that would be a problem. Because the truss rod adjustment is at the heel and if the lead wire went through the body, then I would most likely have to cut the wire to move the pickup out of the way to make an adjustment. I didn't think that would be a very good design... Not that the one I've come up with is much better, but... That's the way it worked out. This way, I'll just need to move the pick guard out of the way.

6. PointPastor

PointPastor TDPRI Member

Maybe next time consider routing the wire channel before you put the cap wood on the body.

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

An option you could also use is to go from neck rout to bridge rout with a 3/8 drill bit and then go from bridge rout to control rout. They sell long aircraft bits at Harbor Freight for little amounts of money.

MoMo_the_Peach likes this.
  8. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Yes, I may do that in the future, but in this instance, I wanted the route as is so that I can easily remove the neck pickup to gain access to the truss rod. The neck pick up will be mounted to the pickguard. My idea is that I'll be able to just unscrew the pickguard and kinda slide it out of the way for any adjustments to the truss rod.

9. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

I finished cutting the pickgaurd out... Now I just need to drill all the holes without cracking it and then paint it black

[​IMG]
    Here's a little mock up

[​IMG]
    I still need to do a little routing on the neck pickup cavity to make it all fit nicely, but all in all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. So far it's looking how I imagined it... Hope it plays that way too!

6stringcowboy likes this.
  10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

The first BLACK pickguard, I prefer the Red but the Sunburst would look good with a black guard also. Also the first LPJ type guard.

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Too late I guess for my HO.

12. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Thanks, I plan on going with the red with black guard. I like the traditional pick guard, but I didn't want to mess with trying to fit the parts that I already had on hand... i.e. I didn't want to fit short shaft pots in the cap. I figured it would be easier to fit them in the pickguard. Plus it gives it a more unique look.

13. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Very cool build. I'm thinking of building a very similar guitar. Can't wait to see it finished!

14. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Thanks! So far I'm pretty happy with the results... We'll see once I'm done. Still plenty of time to screw something up!

15. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

I'm getting very close to finishing this guitar... Today, I finished drilling the holes in the pickguard and the holes for the bridge.
    [​IMG]
    And in the back...
    [​IMG]
    I don't have a drill press, so I just mounted the body on the side my work bench and clamped it in place so I could use the level that's on my drill. Took it nice and slow and they didn't turn out too bad. I still have to enlarge the holes on the back for the ferrules. When I do that, I'll try to even out the two stray holes. Still need to drill out the Jack hole and the bridge pickup channel. Then I'll probably glue the neck in finally! Still need to do a lot of sanding, steaming out dents etc.... But I can see the finish line!

16. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Finished drilling out the string ferrules today... I think they turned out good enough.
    [​IMG]
    Not perfect, but good enough for me... Did have my major first oops moment....
    [​IMG]
    While I was drilling the hole from the bridge pickup to the control cavity, I miscalculated the angle and I exited in the wrong place... Then I made it worse trying to fix it
    [​IMG]
    So now I guess I'm going to have to rout out that section and patch it... I think I still have a cutoff from the body laying around somewhere... Hopefully I can match it somewhat closely. It's disappointing to get this far and mess up like this...

17. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I wish I could say I have never done that but it would be a lie. I would make a straight groove as deep as you need to go to remove all the bad spot, from the body end to the waist area, and just glue in a new piece of wood. If the wood is going in the same direction as the piece you are fixing, it should be a pretty good repair. I use yellow glue and a couple clamps. Be thankful it is on the back too.

18. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Yeah, the thing is I had a feeling it was coming out the bottom, but I looked and there was nothing... So I went against my better judgement and it popped out the back. Good thing this is being built from scrap, so it really isn't that big a deal. And I did learn something, so all is not lost.

19. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

I got started on the repair today.[​IMG]
    I got the section cut out and the replacement piece ready and glued in.
    [​IMG]
    Probably won't be that pretty, but it'll be better than a gaping hole in the back of my guitar. Also, got the pg finished today.
    [​IMG]
    Turned out really good, aside from the scratches that were already in the plexi. Thanks to guitarbuilder and his advise, I sprayed the back of it and it turned out great! And easy too! Once I get all my mistakes taken care of, I'll be able to get to the finish and assembly!

guitarbuilder likes this.
  20. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Depending on the depth of the scratches on the acrylic you might be able to get them out with a very mild abrasive like toothpaste - seriously. Have done it in the past - worked particularly well on a acrylic chair I picked up from a street clean-up a few years ago. Test on some scrap. Nice work - bad luck about the mishap but we all do it ...and some of us even learn from it[emoji6]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.