So... I'm going to try it again. A LP Double cut or other...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mjr428, May 25, 2016.

1. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

That looks nice! I was thinking a transparent red top with black guard and maybe something like a walnut stain for the back of the body and neck. Then a faux binding. That could change though, but that's the plan for now

2. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey Tele-Meister

I did the faux binding on the last one I built , I painted the top and back with the base colours and ran the router over the edge before applying clear coat ,very easy & worked out great
    [​IMG]

3. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Yup, that's kinda what I'm going for

4. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Finally!!!!

[​IMG]

I got started on shaping the neck this morning! Didn't take too long to hog out most of the excess wood. Had to stop there at the first facets because... Well, I have kids that need assistance. I'm hoping that I'll be able to finish shaping the neck by the end of the weekend.

5. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

I got more done today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got it mostly shaped now, but I think I'm going to need to take some more off the back. It's still about an inch thick all the way through. Need more work on the heel transition too. But it's feeling pretty good.

willdubiel likes this.
  6. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Last night I set up the guides to route the neck pocket.

[​IMG]

Then this morning I had a spare moment before I had to go to work. I did this

[​IMG]

And this

[​IMG]

And now the two become one...

[​IMG]

Well, sort of... It's fitting pretty tight in the pocket so I still need to make some adjustments, but it's getting closer! I put about a 1 degree angle on the neck pocket. Now I need to route for the pickups and cut the pickguard.

7. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey Tele-Meister

Great work , THat neck looks great !

8. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Thanks, I appreciate that! It turned out about as good as I was hoping. It's a little rough, but not too bad for my first neck.

9. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Got some more time this morning... Decided to get started on the pickup template and trim out the pickguard.

[​IMG]
    Trimmed the pickguard on my homemade router table
    [​IMG]
    As well as the humbucker template
    [​IMG]
    Yup... It fits. Not pretty, but it'll work
    [​IMG]
    I used some scrap plexi that I got from work for the pickguard. I plan on painting it black and spraying some lacquer on it. It turned out alright... Not perfect, but nothing on this guitar is going to be perfect

10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

If you spray from the underside, you will only need to spray the color coat. I did that on a double neck pickguard I made out of acrylic.

[​IMG]

The plastic on top gives this it the shine. protective plastic is still on here

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  11. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Huh... Never thought of that. That looks pretty good. What kind of paint did you use? Does it have kind of a 3D effect when looking at it in person?

12. guitarbuilder

IIRC, that was krylon. I think Ric did or does their pickguards that way.... it just looks deep...I don't think 3d...try it on a piece of scrap...:)

13. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Yeah, I think I'll give that a go. It'll save me some time for sure

guitarbuilder likes this.
  14. guitarbuilder

15. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Did some more routing this weekend. Was able to get the pickup routes done.

[​IMG]

The bridge pickup route is off slightly... Kinda crazy how your eye can catch it if its off just a little. I should be able to adjust it though. It's a little crowded with the 24" scale though....

I'm hoping to get the neck fretted tomorrow.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  16. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Started on the frets and then a grumpy little dude woke up from his nap... I think a couple frets are slightly off, but I think I'll go with it... After all, this is my first neck build... If I have to repair it later, then it'll give me some practice in doing fret repairs!

17. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Got the frets put in today. Now I need to file down the edges
    [​IMG]
    I hope it's just me, but the frets don't look perfectly straight... Not that I was expecting perfection...

18. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

I decided to plug and re-drill the tuner holes, and I'm happy with how it came out. You can see the where I plugged the previous holes on the top 3 tuner holes, but doesn't really bother me that much. I was going to paint the headstock, but now I don't know... Might just leave it.
    [​IMG]

It turned out pretty good for not having a drill press. I still have to line them up and drill the pilot hole for the screws, but the neck is just about done!

19. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Today, I did some fret work and then started on some finish samples

[​IMG]

So I used some acrylic paints and thinned them out with water and rubbed it into the grain. I think I thinned it too much... The colors didn't come out like I'd hoped. My 7 year old come up with the color on the big piece. I think it actually turned out the best. Next test, I'm going to put down a couple of coats of shellac before adding color. I may also consider using rit dyes. While I was waiting for the samples to dry, I got started on fixing the neck pocket.
    [​IMG]
    Looks like the body decided to cup, so I'm going to fill in the neck pocket and route it again so I have a better fit.
    [​IMG]

I also reshaped the pickguard so that the pickup ring on the bridge pickup will fit.

20. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Well, today I was able to get some work done. I finished fixing the neck pocket and got it routed again.
    [​IMG]

I also routed out the control cavity.
    [​IMG]

I didn't want to bother making a template for it since I figured it was going to be covered by a pickguard anyways... But I think it turned out pretty good for freehand.

So I'm finally getting close to having a functional guitar (I hope)
    [​IMG]

I need to drill the holes for the bridge and wire channels. I also need to finish up the pickguard as well. Other than that, I just need to glue the neck in and start on the finish. I think I'm just going to use shellac for the neck and I may use a poly finish for the body. And I haven't decided if I'm going to keep the back of the guitar a natural finish or add some color. Any suggestions welcome!

ebb soul and betocool like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.