So... I'm going to try it again. A LP Double cut or other...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mjr428, May 25, 2016.

1. Moldy Oldy

Moldy Oldy Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

P.s. If you really use your wife's iron, make sure the rag is really clean and use plenty of layers of cloth. Otherwise you'll be buying a new iron. (Don't ask me how I know.)

sergiomajluf likes this.
  2. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure we even own an iron... May need to use a soldering iron.... I'll look into that

3. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

I got a little sanding done tonight.[​IMG]
    I got most of the glue sanded out and the burn marks on the side. Think I'm going to focus on the neck now. I finished my home made fret bender.[​IMG]
    I don't have any extra wire to test it to make sure I have the correct radius... I'll have to figure something out.

4. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

I have the next week off from work so I'm hoping I'll have some extra time to make some progress on this build. Today I was able to work on the finger board.[​IMG]

I finished making a radius sanding block and started on smoothing out the finger board. Going with a 15" radius... Just because

5. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Well, I'm not making as much progress as I hoped, but slowly getting the neck done.
    [​IMG]

I think I got the fingerboard pretty much level and evenly radius with the tenon cut out for the truss rod access. I think I'll try to glue the fingerboard on next.... Hopefully I'll be able to get it on straight

willdubiel likes this.
  6. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

I glued the fingerboard and drilled out the tuner holes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks like one of the holes are slightly off... I don't have a drill press so I had to improvise... The only bit I have that's big enough was the bit from my pocket hole jig.... I'm hoping it'll work and that I don't have to plug the hole and drill again. I guess my biggest concern is the string break from the nut... And it looking off...

7. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

I was able to get the fingerboard flush to the neck today.
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately, upon further inspection, I see that there are 2 high spots in the fingerboard. So now I'm going to have to level those out. While I was at it, I cut out the template for the pickguard.
    [​IMG]

Captain Nutslot likes this.
  8. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

This morning, I got a few minutes in the garage... So I decided to drill some holes
    [​IMG]
    And then install some oak dowels...
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully it'll look alright... That's what I had laying around. My biggest concern is how "open" the grain is and it leaving divets in the markers when I trim them, if that makes any sense... Anyways I also took the opportunity to get some practice in on cutting out the belly cut
    [​IMG]
    Almost to the point of shaping the neck profile. Or cutting the neck pocket... Not sure which to do first...

Captain Nutslot likes this.
  9. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Cool guard shape!

10. willdubiel

willdubiel TDPRI Member

I think your fretboard is going to look awesome! Can't wait to see the oak /poplar(?) contrast.
    Maybe you could have stained or dyed one or the other before glueing them in but I think the contrast will pop when you finish it all off. I'm so impressed by your neck from scratch.

11. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Thanks! Yeah, I wanted to have the fingerboard natural. I think it turned out well so far with the fret markers... Subtle and a bit rustic. I cut the fret markers down tonight[​IMG]
    Starting to look like a real guitar neck... Hopefully it works when all said done!

12. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

And a close up
    [​IMG]

willdubiel likes this.
  13. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

After working up the courage to cut into a body I spent so much time building, I went for the belly contour
    [​IMG]
    It turned out alright. I'm happy within it so far. Now I need to work on repairing an errant cut on the headstock...
    [​IMG]
    If I can't figure out how I'm going to stick a shim in there and glue it up, I'll probably end up with epoxy and sawdust in there.

14. Moldy Oldy

Moldy Oldy Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

All the wood below the cut is coming off anyway, right? That neck looks way thicker than a normal neck so I assume the extra thickness is just to get what you need for the heel. If that's right, why don't you just cut the entire headstock to the thickness of that cut? You can always laminate a piece of something nice on the the back if you think you need to. I think you would be much happier with that than sawdust and epoxy.

15. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Yes, I think that's what I'm going to do... I've had a few days to think about it and I think just cutting off the excess from the headstock from where I started will be fine in the end. My concern was when I got to the neck, it wouldn't be thick enough and it would end up being too thin. I want to have plenty of wood there for me to work with when I start shaping. If i had to do it over, i would have cut out the profile before I glued the pieces together... Next time I guess... Now I'm still debating whether or not I want to fill in the tuner holes and re-drill them. They are not perfectly in line with each other... I don't have a drill press

16. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

I went for it... Committed to my original cut.
    [​IMG]
    I think it will be fine. Still need to remove the rest from the back of the neck obviously, but can't wait to start shaping it! Hopefully by the end of this weekend, I'll have somewhat of a finished neck! Then again, I have a lot of stuff to get done this weekend, so maybe not...

17. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Work with what I have...
    [​IMG]
    I set up some 1/2" plexi blocks as guides to cut the excess from the back of the neck. The plexi was actually an 1/8" too thin so I stacked them on top of some 3mm pvc. It actually worked quite well, I got a very clean cut.
    [​IMG]
    Just a little scraping and sanding and now I'm ready to start shaping!
    [​IMG]
    Starting to look like a guitar now.

abrianb likes this.
  18. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey Tele-Meister

Great work ! Wish I had the patience to do the necks myself .
    Were on the same wavelength though

I started it a good few weeks ago but only got to rout it yesterday
    [​IMG]

19. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Yeah, that looks great! It's been a learning experience for sure building the neck. There's so many little details that go into it... Hoping mine is functional in the end. I'm concerned about some of my fret slots being at an angle from the nut... A couple are off, maybe less then a 1/16" but is somewhat noticeable

20. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey Tele-Meister

Thats why I buy necks , I dont think i would be accurate enough
    Have you picked a colour yet ?
    I think it would look great in butterscotch blonde or tv yellow
    I did one a while back in TV
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.