So... I'm going to try it again. A LP Double cut or other...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mjr428, May 25, 2016.

1. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Yes, I kinda feel building a neck from scratch is a little ambitious too! I just wanted to build a short scale guitar, not spend a lot of money and it's hard to find a 24" scale neck for not a lot of money... so I just went for it. Plus, I'm really interested in learning the process and the best way to do it is go through the process. And the wood was free, so if I mess it up, no biggie! I'm interested to see how it turns out as well.

2. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

I started out in much the same way as you did, low budget and ambitious. I highly recommend it!

You can do it, just keep at it...

It's hard to tell from the photos, but is the heel of the neck going to be cut so it matches the end of the truss rod?

As for carving the neck Marty (Guitarbuilder) has a method he shared on here called the facet method. This is a great way of doing an excellent carve on the neck.

The only "problem" I experienced is that I learned faster then expected and wanted to use higher quality materials right away!

Be prepared, this is a very additive hobby!

3. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the encouragement! Yeah, I'll cut the heel so that the truss rod will be accessible in the body cavity. I was planning on a pickguard but now I'm considering having no pickguard and just a truss rod cover above the neck pickup... Not sure that will work though... I'll decide when I get there.

fromeast2west likes this.
  4. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

I had some free time at work, so I thought I'd do a little mock up of what I was thinking as far as how I wanted to finish this thing...
    Build_2_Mockup.JPG
    This is open for opinions... I'm kinda feeling the red one right now, but originally I wanted to do a sunburst... Of course my wife would probably like the surf greenish one... I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to think about this. Let me know what y'all think.

tintag27 and Zepfan like this.
  5. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Today I started on the cap...
    [​IMG]
    And cut it out...
    [​IMG]
    Now I gotta think how I'm going to glue it on. I only have 8 clamps....

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

RED!
    It's looking great.

7. dtermined2play

dtermined2play Tele-Afflicted

Looking great. Each of the colors lend themselves to the guitar well. But my vote is for the tobacco burst.

8. willdubiel

willdubiel TDPRI Member

Love the grain in that 2x4! I think trans red would be awesome. And I like how the edge of you cap looks like white binding. Maybe?

9. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Yeah, I think I got lucky pulling those 2x4's out of the trash bin! That's my plan, to have a faux binding with the cap.

10. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Glued the cap to the body tonight... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm hoping I have enough pressure for the cap to glue on correctly... I used every available clamp I have. I didn't see any gaps, but I guess I'll find out when I trim it to the body.

11. Moldy Oldy

Moldy Oldy Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I gotta keep the score even ... Seafoam. Especially if that's the one your wife will like best. Anything you can do to help her love (or at least appreciate) your hobby will pay off big time down the road.

dtermined2play and src9000 like this.
  12. willdubiel

willdubiel TDPRI Member

Well said!

13. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Funny that you say that... that is a motivating factor in this build. I wanted to build a guitar that would interest my wife and maybe encourage her to play again. She talks about wishing that she kept her jaguar from her punk rock days. But then again, if this guitar turns out well, maybe I can convince her to let me build her a jaguar in any color she wishes!

14. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Ok, I wasn't really happy with the pickguards in the previous mock up I did, so I made another mockup with a different pickguard... Build_2_Mockup-2.JPG
    I think this is more what I'm looking for. I want to keep the controls more down and out of the way without having to make holes in the 1/4" cap. The pots I have are short shaft and I'm really trying not to buy more parts for this build and I think the wood would get to weak trying to fit short shaft pots. I think this looks pretty good. I still might need to mess with it some more... the only problem I'm seeing right now is that my input jack might be getting a bit crowded/or moving it more towards the strap pin...

15. David_Maas

David_Maas Tele-Meister

I like the new pickguard design! Are you going for a surface or a side mount jack?

16. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

I have a side mount jack.

17. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Good news....

20160629_193318.jpg

I trimmed the excess off the cap and I'm not seeing any gaps or separation.
    The bad...

20160629_193453.jpg

and...

20160629_194142.jpg

The clamps made imprints in the soft pine (which the possibility occurred to me as I was clamping down the last clamp) and I have a lot of sanding to do to get rid of the glue squeeze out on the top... not to mention the poor glue joint. I guess I didn't get enough pressure/or uneven joint when I glued the cap... bummer. No I need to figure out some fixes... any suggestions?

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow. Just lurking, but this is looking great and very inspirational coming from a guitar builder wannabe. I always wanted a double cut LP Special and build a guitar, so this just might be the way to give it a go. Thanks for posting the steps.

19. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Thanks. I'm just learning how to do this myself. You can find all the info you need on this site and I think you'll find there are several ways to do the same thing. The reason I started doing this is purely economical... I just can't afford to go out and buy guitars, so I'll build one... Or ten! So far, I've spent maybe $20 on this build. My goal is to have a guitar that I enjoy playing and looks cool. Another benefit is you can build it exactly how you want it.

Sent from my LGLS740 using TDPRI mobile app

20. Moldy Oldy

Moldy Oldy Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Looking great. Those dents should be pretty easy to steam out. I'm afraid with pine you're gonna have to learn how to do that. Wet a piece of cloth (e.g., old shirt) and place it over the dent. Then iron it with your wife's iron on the hottest setting. You want it to make a lot of steam. Keep moving and check often so you don't burn the wood. Some guys use a soldering iron instead of the iron, but be careful about scorching. And of course, a little practice on scrap never hurts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.