So... I'm going to try it again. A LP Double cut or other...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mjr428, May 25, 2016.

1. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

The first guitar I built was a T-style with P-90's that was built from pine and mdf, dano style I guess. So now that I've caught the bug, I wanted to start a new project. My whole thing is that I don't want to spend a lot of money on materials etc... well, because I'm still learning and not a skilled wood worker. So I've been scrounging materials together from scraps at work and setting out to build a les paul jr double cut with 24" scale set neck. I was able to purchase some inexpensive humbuckers from Amazon for about $1.50 and I've spent maybe $6 on some poplar pieces for the top and fingerboard. Again, this will be my first attempt at building a neck from scratch, so I'm just using this as a learning process and hopefully I'll get a functioning guitar at the end. I wanted to make a short scale guitar because my wife used to play guitar and she misses her old Jaguar.... So I'm hoping that maybe she'll pick it up again.
    20160218_202424.jpg
    Here is a picture of the materials I'll be using. 2x4's for the body and some laminated poplar sticks. I was able to get some metal from work as well to make a truss rod. I want to make as much as I can for this guitar... 1). I want to learn as much as I can about the building process and 2). I don't want to spend money...

Here's a picture of the truss rod I built

20160411_201157.jpg

By the way, any advise, comments etc. is always welcome. Did I mention that I'm learning...?

2. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

I cut the shape out with a jigsaw and built a jig to use my router to plane the top and bottom of the body

20160317_112237.jpg

I don't have a lot of tools, so I'm doing the best with what I have. I don't have money to buy the tools that I would like to have, so I'm finding ways around that by building jigs that kind of work.

20160317_113705.jpg

Here's a pic of the top planed. Because I'm using 2x4's for the body, I decided to cap it with 1/4" poplar pieces to get enough thickness for the body. I'll probably do a faux binding.

3. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Here's a pic setting up the template to route the edges

20160327_165419.jpg

I also had the templates made at my work. We have a cnc machine here and I have access to scraps of wood and plexi etc...

Tonetele likes this.
  4. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Here's a pic of the fingerboard

20160502_195145.jpg

Measured out and slotted. I marked off the frets using the fret calculator from stewmac and then marked the lines with a square. I then went back and scored each fret marker with a utility knife. Finally went back with a flush cut saw and made the fret slots. I'm thinking that the slots might not be wide enough, but better than too wide.

20160517_120145.jpg

Then I put a 15" radius using a jig that I made for my router. I had a little mishap at the end but I'm hoping that I will be able to salvage it. The board was sticking up a little when I got to the nut, so It is a little thinner at the 1st fret.

20160521_130507.jpg

While I was at it, I decided to make a sanding block from it... I'm thinking I'm going to need it. Hopefully I'll be making some more progress on it this week!

5. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

It's looking good so far!

6. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

So I have the neck blank planed and ready for the truss rod channel. I think I'm going to end up putting the adjustable end of the truss rod at the heel of the neck, so that I can hide it. I'm not going to put an angled headstock so I think it would look too sloppy putting the nut at that end. Hopefully I won't need to make adjustments too often anyways... that is if my truss rod even works. 20160526_202313.jpg

7. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Thanks! I'm not too concerned about how it ends up looking but I'm hoping it at least is playable at the end... and that I learn a lot! I really do enjoy the process!

Steve Holt likes this.
  8. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

So, I've got the truss rod channel routed. Looks like my measurements were about a 1/16" off... Anyone have any suggestions on a fix? 1465133119518.jpg

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Off in which direction?

10. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

I think I'm more concerned about the depth. It fits in pretty snug, but concerned that its in a hair too deep.

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

You could always glue a fillet to the bottom of the slot. The concern is more about how much meat there is between the bottom of the slot and the back of the neck. Pretty horrifying to be carving the neck and break through to the slot...

12. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Good point... I should be good as far as overall depth. I like I thicker neck anyways. I'm starting to get concerned about the truss rod rattling now. I'll probably end up taping the truss rod and using some silicon in there...

13. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

What size is your truss rod and depth of the channel?. If it's 3/8 or less you'll be fine I think.

14. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

It's 3/8" but its a little bigger at the ends... I made it from a tutorial I found online. I think it will be fine... I hope

15. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

So I put a 1/4" round over on the back edge tonight.[​IMG]

Looks like I'll have a lot of sanding to do...
    I do have a question for anyone willing to answer... I'm thinking about doing a stain or transparent finish. How do you prep pine to do a stain?

Tonetele likes this.
  16. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I love your router jig for planing the guitar! I always seem to find myself in the same situation but with other tools. MacGyvering some things together to solve a problem that wouldn't exist with the right tool. But it's fun that way right??

17. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Thanks! It seems that's how its been my whole life. I've always had to figure out how to make the best with what I've got... Or make what I have do what I need it to do.

18. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

I was able to get in 20 minutes in the garage tonight and I roughed out the neck.
    [​IMG]

Slowly coming along. I think I'm going to have to redo the finger board though... I don't think I'm going to be able to save it. I'm looking forward to finally getting to shape the neck... Well getting closer anyways.

19. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

My fathers day gift this year... Time alone in the garage! So I glued up the poplar cap
    [​IMG]

And routed out the neck...[​IMG]

Hopefully I'll be able to get the cap glued and neck pocket routed this week... Then I'll focus my attention on the finger board and carving the neck. Or I may focus on the neck before routing the neck pocket... That may be the safest route.

20. willdubiel

willdubiel TDPRI Member

This is awesome. Love your low budget approach. I'm thinking about starting my second build. I feel like a neck from scratch is really ambitious, so I'm interested to see how yours turns out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.