So I Tried Fried Chicken Tonight

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
a frozen turkey dropped into a few gallons of 375 degree peanut oil erupts very violently.
I think there was a period where every Thanksgiving, ER's and Fire Departments were on alert for exploding turkeys. It's a classic case of "hold my beer while I try this.." People deep frying turkey without any idea of how to do it and not smart enough to know that a moisture fill frozen bird is going to react violently with oil. Anyone who as ever seen how a tiny drop of water reacts with hot oil, could figure out the consequences.
Truthfully, it's not that easy to make good fried chicken
True dat!!

I never freeze chicken.
I would fry chicken at home if it wasn't for having to dispose of all that oil.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I can see why you might want some fried chicken like that for sentimental reasons, but you can’t be that far from a Popeye’s Louisiana Kitchen? @telleutelleme ?

Since I left Houston, the nearest one in these parts is 30 miles away…

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
I do an oven fried chicken. Start with leg quarters or just thighs defrosted. Heat oven to 350.

Coat pieces in a buttermilk pancake mix. I use a spray canola oil to grease the pan. Also throw in a few pats of real butter for a little extra flavor.

Place the chicken skin side down. Season top side with the seasoning of your choice. I like a Cajun spice mix.

Cook for 35 minutes on that side. Turn pieces over, season and cook for another 20-25 minutes.

You'd be amazed how much grease/oil you'll have in the pan. The chicken comes out juicy, crispy skin and relatively grease free.

Frying in a skillet is an art. My mom could do it. The oven method requires very little attention.

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I tend to pre-cook chicken parts that I intend to fry, usually using my Sous Vide with them in a bag. This isn't necessary for thin pieces, such as cutlets that have been pounded, however.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
There are several places around here that make fabulous fried chicken. I only eat it about once a month, see no point in trying to make it. For $11, you can go to the VFW and eat perfect fried chicken til your belly explodes.
Bingo. Way too much work and mess when the stuff at the grocery store deli is so reliably good.

eclecticsynergy

Friend of Leo's
I laughed reading this. Yeah, frozen takes longer (if at all) to cook

A funny story. When deep frying turkeys began to catch on, a fiend of mine in Dallas decided “how hard can it be?”

Long story short, a frozen turkey dropped into a few gallons of 375 degree peanut oil erupts very violently. The oil overflowed the cooking pot like a volcano. The ensuing fire was impressive. Luckily someone’s wife had enough sense to bring the three fire extinguishers they had to the ”manly cooking zone” before the “cooking” began.

The fire damage was kept to a minimum. About a 10’x10’ area of back yard, a propane burner, a big stainless pot, and a 25# bird were laid to waste.

Frank learned a very valuable culinary life lesson that afternoon. It also wasn’t a turkey centered holiday meal so there was a lot of laughter and pizza ordered

I think there was a period where every Thanksgiving, ER's and Fire Departments were on alert for exploding turkeys. It's a classic case of "hold my beer while I try this.." People deep frying turkey without any idea of how to do it and not smart enough to know that a moisture fill frozen bird is going to react violently with oil. Anyone who as ever seen how a tiny drop of water reacts with hot oil, could figure out the consequences.

True dat!!

I never freeze chicken.
I would fry chicken at home if it wasn't for having to dispose of all that oil.
64b9555298f579e59e15318f9d9b0d61.jpg

Dave, the "World's Best Father" guy, has made a bunch of amusing pics with his daughter, beginning when she was very little.

dad-photoshop-kid-dangerous-situations-4-58e5df5333c64__700.jpg

enhanced-buzz-wide-6626-1399310463-9.jpg

original-21184-1399306670-33.jpg

worlds-best-father-dave-engledow-5.jpg

TWIP-Engledow-1-of-1-2.jpg

bowman

Friend of Leo's
I’m tempted from time to time to make fried chicken at home, but I just don’t want to deal with the cleanup. I oven fry it all the time, and that’s tasty, but it’s really just baking it with oil and spices. Not the same as immersion in hot oil, but good nevertheless. I’ve been considering an air fryer too. We need a thread completely devoted to kitchen disasters.

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I’m tempted from time to time to make fried chicken at home, but I just don’t want to deal with the cleanup. I oven fry it all the time, and that’s tasty, but it’s really just baking it with oil and spices. Not the same as immersion in hot oil, but good nevertheless. I’ve been considering an air fryer too. We need a thread completely devoted to kitchen disasters.
You could use the cast iron skillet method which requires less oil. But it's still a bit messy. A spattery shield can help, but not eliminate the mess.

I have essentially two air fryers and they get a lot of use. The more traditional one largely gets used for potato products and other vegetables. The Ninja Foodi, which is a multifunction, countertop appliance gets more of the proteins when it comes to air frying and air roasting because it's easier to have such on a flat rack in that format of appliance.

Keep in mind that "air frying" is pretty much just convection cooking, but the size of the machines allows for more concentrated air flow, etc. And contrary to what some folks say, I find that a small amount of oil is still required for best results.

nickmm

Tele-Holic
Air Fryers are good.
Not like deep frying or pressure frying.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I have fried my share of fish, shrimp, and oysters, mostly outdoors. I despise cleaning up the mess from frying; last time I did anything close was about four years ago when somebody gave me some fresh okra.

When I get a craving for fried chicken, our local Brookshire's grocery store deli does it as well as anyone.

Fried seafood, I eat out these days.

One thing I've discovered since being single again is Oven Fry. It's like shake n bake, only it tastes better and stays crunchy. I've done chicken breast, some sirloin, and some axis deer cutlets and all were outstanding. It's easy to prepare and no grease involved.

Last edited:

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
I deep fry a lot, and I don’t get the worry about clean up. I put down a bunch of newspaper and do all the prep on that. I might have 5 or 6 bowls - one holding the fish or shrimp or whatever, flour/egg/panko, a hushpuppy bowl - which I rinse out and get in the dishwasher while I’m doing the last of the frying. Then I just wad up the newspaper and put it in the trash. Most of the cleanup is done by the time I get to the table. Chicken is even easier because there’s less bowls, one for the chicken soaked in buttermilk and one for the seasoned flour.

My fry pot stays out on the stovetop; the oil gets re-used for the next fry. (Do you think restaurants change oil after every meal?)