1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So I thought I knew some stuff - turns out I know nothing - Truefire

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Throttleneck, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

I played for a really long time without having a clue what I was doing. But I loved it. About 6 years or so ago I decided to try and learn something about the guitar and it was an eye opener. I didn't know that a chord only had 3 notes, I thought they all had 6 - cause, you know, 6 strings. I was in my 50s - sad but true.

Learned what chords I was playing. Learned some theory. Learned how chords work together. Learned my scales (forgot a lot) and feel I am a reasonably competent penatonic noodler. I found a good teacher here. His band invited me up to play some original songs during their gigs. Was well received - but he stopped gigging and teaching so back on my own.

I have played with others and I feel like I play a bit better than them. Thought I was reaching a level of some basic guitar competency.

Lately I have been feeling a little stuck and I am now in a really rural part of New Mexico and no instructors near by. So I decided to give TrueFire a try.

I started with Jeff McErlain's Blues Survival Guide: Rhythm Edition. I figured out I could handle the Rhythm Course. Man I have to stop and try to figure out what he is playing every lesson. It isn't the chords, it is all the little fills he throws in.

Once again, I realize that I know absolutely nothing. :)

Humbling

2. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

If you think of learning as one of the fun parts of the whole thing, then it's always a positive. There's always so much to learn.

but sure, I've been through that cycle many times; feel foolish, etc., but now I'm just grateful to try to keep on learning.

3. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I agree. I am a learning junky so it is all good. Just like in so many activities you start out and kind kind of see a horizon of where you want to be - to get o. "Man if I could just do that it would be awesome". Then you work and work to get there. But once you get there you realize there is an even greater horizon just beyond. You work to get there and, once again ...

The timing of this was just kind of funny. My daughters boyfriend is a good guitarist and I have always seen him as a better lead player than I. But I have been practicing a lot and when he was here for Thanksgiving I felt that I was actually playing a bit better than him. I have been working a lot on playing over the chord changes. Anyway, I get a little confidence in my playing and BOOM, wake up call.

:)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    teletimetx likes this.
  4. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Those classes are fantastic. Worth every penny.

5. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'm with you on this!

I took a few lessons way back, and thought I knew a lot, but of course I really didn't. About 15 years ago I started studying theory and it just blew me away how little I actually knew, much less could put into practice.

But it's a journey. There's so much to music and guitar playing that you'll never, ever reach the end of it. But that's half the fun - there's always something new to absorb.

And of course hanging out here on TTT&T humbles me even more - there's some really smart folks on here and I always pick up something.

A quote attributed to Albert Einstein - "The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know."

It's not the destination, it's the ride! Some days you move fast, some days you move slow. The key is to always be moving!

Cheers,
    Doug

teletimetx likes this.
  6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

great thread! I love 'sitting at the feet of the master' moment when we can be completely open to new things without shame and just dive in.... a guy can almost feel their mind soaking it in and then watching the new info go into action is really cool!

7. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

First, and most importantly, you are a whole lot better player than you think you are. Period.

Second, you've done a very good thing in learning the basic theory about chords and scales and how they are how they make up the music we play. When I did this, it led me to be transformed into a musician who played guitar, instead of a guitarist who played music.

Third, find a band. You don't have to play out, just jam in somebody's basement. Playing in a band will make you a much better guitarist and musician.

8. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I just have to listen to Chet Atkins or Django Reinhardt to realize how much I don't know. And I'm pretty open about my lack of knowledge and skill. I guess the important thing is to keep working at it. One thing I have learned over the years (for myself only, ymmv) is to keep playing with others! Now that I don't gig and have other issues I tend to be pretty withdrawn and isolated. When that happens I'm not stretched by trying to learn what others know in order to keep up and I don't have the exposure to new things. It always is harder for me to drive myself forward.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

I marvel at the knowledge passed around on this subforum, and pick up what I can.

Knowing how much I don’t know is familiar turf but I just look at it as motivation to learn more so I can further realize how much I don’t know:lol:

10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Spot on! The joy is in the journey--not in reaching the destination. My goal as a player is to pick up at least one tidbit of information every day that I can incorporate into my playing.

If you are not watching Rick Beato's YT vids on music theory, check them out. He's a music professor and record producer who distills theory down into edible chunks that are easy to understand and assimilate.

Your playing will improve as a result of knowing more about music.

stinkey and teletimetx like this.
  11. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Jeff Mcerlain’s courses are excellent.

Recently signed up for yearly membership with truefire and I think it may be the best money I’ve spent on anything guitar related...ever.

matrix likes this.
  12. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

We live in an age where the access to information is incredible. Truefire is a great resource. Youtube has tons of great stuff too. I would definitely recommend that anyone who's interested check out Rick Beato, Aimee Nolte, and Adam Neely on YT. There are others too, but those 3 stick out in my mind.

stinkey likes this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

When I started in neon glassblowing in 1989, the old guy I was learning from said something, probably to keep me and other students from getting discouraged, like, "It'll take you four or five years to know everything." WHAT A LAUGH! I got pretty darn good and achieved journeyman status in several years, but I NEVER stopped learning......and NEVER knew everything. Same on guitar. I've played for about 55 years, and I can still learn things about music and technique every day....if I work at it. And that's what keeps my interest up.
    And, while I agree generally about playing with others as a good path to improvement, there is a "caveat", if you don't play with guys who are close to your skill level or better, you run the risk of declining in ability. I've played with a few guys who just sucked the life out of anything we tried, and it was very discouraging......but you just have to get out, tune up your guitar, and get back in the fray. Good luck! ;)

14. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I am constantly becoming aware of how little I know about music! LOL

My wife doesn't understand why I am always looking at instructional videos, or trying to figure out what someone is playing... But, then if she hasn't seen me on stage for a while, she'll comment on how much I've gotten better... At least when I am in the constant study pattern.

I've been in a playing deficit recently... Between moving, and resettling and finding new folks to play with, I've gotten a little unmotivated. Time to dig into a couple new course son Truefire myself, I think.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.